Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:33 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Go ahead and try krulle… I’m sure Death will enjoy zapping your double-postings! (I’m also just teasing, by the way)

It’s safe to say that I’ve slowed down a bit recently, and much of that has to do with the realization that there is likely much I could accomplish without stopping down to write everything down (including the numerous lengthy dialogue sequences I’m encountering at a steady pace). In fact, from what I can tell, much of the game’s puzzles and avenues of interest are at easy reach, especially with the Quasi Portal Spawner device safely tucked under my pillow. (Hey! If Master Greenish can sleep with his metachron, I can sleep with my Quasi Portal! :D )

I’m still trying to temper that urge and continue in my usual method, but I’ve find it helpful to carefully approach each scenario and try to draw out the experience as much as possible, so I don’t get ahead of myself when I get too excited by any of the new events unfolding before my eyes.

The Syreen ambush sequence is a great example of this methodology, since I really enjoyed with exploring the different possible outcomes while trying my best not to venture too far outside of the normal gameplay mechanics (something of which I’m guilty of performing on occasion ;) ) I also took the time during this part of the mission to record an abundance of information (some useful, some not, and much of it many people would find boring, e.g. planetary data, star charts, calculating the timing of events, printing out and filing new dialogue, etc.)

However, even though I’m not posting as often about exploring systems and mining like “back in the old days”, each new log entry will probably follow the same recent pattern of pertinence, but I admit sometimes my evenings have been consumed by other things going on in my life, but I always try to get in some SC2 playing time during the course of the work week. :)

But due to krulle’s potential trigger happy postings (again, just joking!) perhaps a better bet would be length of time?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:35 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

If I am honest, I would much rather see a bet regarding *time* than time. Much more fun that way, wouldn't you agree?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:57 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Oct 14, 2157 - Procyon - Yellow Alert

We’ve arrived back at Procyon after using the time portal to return us back to when we last returned to Starbase, which was right after we had obtained the Mycon’s Sun Device, but before (and therefore omitting) we had gone down to Organon in an attempt to help out the Syreen in the big battle, but due to effect of our strange, mysterious Precursor ship we were unable to get involved in any way, shape or form, but it really shouldn’t matter since the Syreen seem like they will have everything well in hand when the time comes less than a month from now for the Mycon to get reduced to cute, little mushroom buttons.

While we’re waiting for the ambush at Organon to take place, I felt this would be a great opportunity to venture back to Procyon since our Sun Device may prove to be useful in potentially help speed up the melding transformation of the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm into a new hybrid race, since they have already informed us that the process was going to take over thirty years since they depend solely on the light from their sun for their joining of two races to be possible in the first place, so perhaps the Sun Device will greatly accelerate the entire process. Great, now the Mmrch have me saying “process” over and over!

We have detected no Ilwrath Avenger-class ships in the system, but we will remain at Yellow Alert since there could be a few lurking by, since we’re in their territory.

We will set course for the 2nd planet. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Oct 14, 2157 - Procyon II - Red Alert

Uh… That’s more than just a few! Yikes!!

Well, to say that the sudden appearance of a massive fleet of Ilwrath avengers circling around Procyon II is a surprise would be the ultimate in understatements!

We casually drifted towards our orbital vector position and the klaxons went crazy, signaling there were vessels surrounding us on all sides! Our old friends the Ilwrath were back with a vengeance, and they claimed they have been monitoring our visits to this slave-shielded for quite some time, and their captain wondered if I would give a high and wailing scream or a low and moaning groan after having my arms pulled off. Well, I’m pretty sure it would be a good, long sustained high-pitch Spathi-like squeal! It would go a little something like this… “AIEEEE! No! Please be merciful! Not my arm! Please, no! I beg of you! The Pain! NO!”

I asked them if they would tell me about themselves before attacking our ship, and they went into a long, drawn out description of their two favorite things, and what else could that be? Well, it’s Dogar and Kazon of course! They described them in detail with as many horrible adjectives as they could think of, and they also feel very positive about their position and that we nor anybody else are as privileged as them to have their gods, and they claim the reason they know this is because their gods told them so! Ridiculous.

We tried to tiptoe our way out of the predicament, and of course to no avail, but it did give us a short few moments to pull the Vindicator away from the lead ship and engage the emergency warp-out unit.

Fortunately, none of their planetary fleet chased after us, and there doesn’t seem to be other Ilwrath patrols nearby, so we halted our escape route and returned back to Procyon II to see what else we could learn, and the huge fleet was there still there waiting for us, remaining in their attack posture spread out in such a way that ironically made their numerous pink ships appear like drops of dew glistening on a massive spider web, but they didn’t have anything much new to share, besides their desire to pour my blood and other bodily fluids on their sacrificial altar and dance in my puddles as my removed liquids cooled to the delight of Dogar and Kazon. Yuck!

So… we fled for a second time, followed by a third, where they ran out of things to say and simply kept repeating themselves. However, it doesn’t look like there’s much of anything else we can accomplish here, and since the Sun Device would have to be used while in orbit, we’ll have to find some way past the Ilwrath before we can try again.

I’ll activate the time portal to put us back at Starbase where I’ll explain the situation to Commander Hayes and my crew, and we can once again figure out where to go to from there. Captain out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 am 
Arilou wiseguy

You think you can bring in some parasitic wasps?
Some of them lay their eggs inside spiders....
If you don't find some large enough, I'm sure the Umgah are willing to help with the genetic modification necessary to make it work.

Anyway, you have all the hints you need, if I remember correctly.
Otherwise, … NON-OBVIOUS HINT REDACTED Or the Melnorme and their stack of information on current affairs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:22 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

You have to hand it to the Ilwrath, though, when they decide to actually do their jobs, they have the worst sense of timing. First right after the moonbase, now this. It's almost like they're watching you, all the time, just waiting for the moment to pop up when it's most inconvenient, almost like they're invisible or something. But that's crazy, right?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:47 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

It is. No spider sits around and waits for you to drop into their trap.
They never do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:53 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log - Oct 8, 2157 - Starbase

After I used the time portal to put us out of the reach of the Ilwrath and back to our Starbase, I had us immediately set course for outside the system where we summoned the Melnorme to see if they had any new information that we could purchase, but there was none for us to buy, so we returned back to base and we had a couple of meetings with the ship’s officers as well as the Starbase’s top officers, but we basically went round and round in circles in discussion and couldn’t come up with anything further, so I went back to my cabin to study up on all information we’ve gathered thus far concerning the Ilwrath.

Unfortunately, most of the information we have on file is directly from dialogue from either them or other alien sources, and I’ve reviewed all of its content repeatedly, but it still seems like a big jumble. However, our Communications Officer, Lieutenant Camilla “Commy” Hopkins, informed me that she’s recently created a sub-program within the ship’s computer that aides in searching through dialogue and identifying key subject material and color-coding those words and phrases, provided the user inputs the search parameters based on priority. There’s been many reoccurring themes I’ve noticed when studying the dialogue, so I did my best to recall those notions, and fed the information into the computer’s databanks, telling the computer to bring up anything that involved the mentioning the Ilwrath, and then set the priorities like this:

– Priority 1: Locations -- Planets, moons, stars, constellations or any other specific location
- Priority 2: Alliance and non-Hierarchy races, including proper names and vessels
- Priority 3: All known Ur-Quan Hierarchy races except the Umgah, including proper names and vessels
- Priority 4: Umgah references, including their pranking habits, HyperWave ’Caster references or any long-distance communication references
- Priority 5: Dogar & Kazon references or any subject material by the Ilwrath that primarily focuses on intimidating or threatening us, including content concerning torture, death and/or destruction or anything involving their religious customs
- Priority 6: Seek Raw Materials for Replication (sorry… couldn’t help myself)
………………………

And just after about 3 seconds of processing the information, this is what it popped out as a print-out for me to examine:
(Note: The Spathi (with the exception of Fwiffo) counted as Hierarchy, since at the time of communication they were actively part of the Ur-Quan thralls)
-----------------------------------------------------
CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Where are the Ur-Quan now?”

COMMANDER HAYES“Soon after Earth accepted the Ur-Quan’s Oath of Fealty, they departed, leaving behind a battle group of Spathi and Ilwrath ships based on the moon.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“We shall go now and neutralize the base.”

COMMANDER HAYES“Be careful, Captain. There are probably a dozen Spathi Eluders and Ilwrath Avengers down there on the lunar surface. I don’t know why they haven’t come after you yet, but when they do, you’d better have your weapons armed, and your thrusters burning hot.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Could you tell me again about the Hierarchy base on the moon?”

COMMANDER HAYES“As I said before, after the Ur-Quan erected the slave shield around the Earth and assembled this space station, they decided to leave a contingent of Spathi and Ilwrath ships stationed on the moon. We have looked at the moonbase through our telescopes and can confirm that there is still substantial activity down there, but we have never been able to make contact with the base using either HyperWave ’Caster or traditional radio signals.”
COMMANDER HAYES“Have you dealt with the base yet?”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“We found the base, but it was abandoned years ago.”

COMMANDER HAYES“I’ll be darned! All these years we’ve been listening to their incoherent broadcasts, and we never even guessed. Captain, listen closely! Long range sensors show a ship closing on this station, fast! Our computer identifies it as Ilwrath, Avenger-class. I think you’ve got a fight on your hands, Captain. Your best bet is to wait until you have point bl-nk r-nge“ C-pt-in! It’s ja-min- ou- s-gn-l!...

(uncloaked Ilwrath at Starbase)
ILWRATH“By The Fetid Breath Of The Dark Twin, Kazon! A Hu-Man In An Alien Starship… How Fascinating! When I Intercepted That Ur-Quan Drone, And Learned That An Unidentified Starship Had Approached Earth, I Never Expected To Find Such A Remarkable Vehicle In The Hands Of A Hu-Man. Hu-Mans Are Prey Animals - Weak And Helpless- But Here Is A Hu-Man In An Armed Starship! And Therefore In Direct Violation Of The Oath Of Fealty. I Am Sure Our Masters, The Ur-Quan , Will Punish Earth Most Severely For This Treachery When I Present Them With The Twisted Wreckage Of Your Ship And Your Many Charred Corpses.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Surrender, foul alien creature, or you will be annihilated!”

ILWRATH“Fool! As Alien As Your Ship May Be, Our Sensors Reveal How Few Weapons You Have On Board. Though This Vessel Is Under-Crewed, And Our Cloak Of Darkness Is Non-Functional, We Still Have More Than Enough Power To Kill You All!” (battle ensues)

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Where the hell did you come from?”

ILWRATH“Since You Will Soon Be Dead, I Will Gladly Explain. We Have Spent Many Years Gleefully Preying On The Pkunk. They Are A Pitiful, Easily-killed Species, And We Would Have Continued In This Divine Worship Of Dogar And Kazon, But We Required Additional Crew Members And Repairs To Our Cloaking Device. So We Departed The Giclas Constellation and Set Course For Home. But Before We Had Reached Our Region Of Space, We Detected The Passage Of A Nearby Vessel - The Ur-Quan Drone. It Informed Us About You… So Here We Are. And Now, YOU DIE!” (battle ensues)
CAPTAIN ZELNICK“It will be a pleasure blasting your ugly face out of the stars.”

ILWRATH“I Have No Fear Of You, Feeble Mammal. Though My Ship Lacks A Functioning Cloaking Device, And Many Of Our Crew Are Dead, My Gods, Dogar The Black And Kazon The Unseen, Have Personally Confided To Me That They Despise You Hu-Mans, And That They Will Help Us To Kill You All!” (battle ensues)
CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Look, let’s be reasonable. We CAN coexist peacefully.”

ILWRATH“Ha-ha-ha-ha! You Must Be Either A Naive Child Or A Hopeless Fool. In Either Case, It Makes No Difference, Because Soon You Will Be DEAD!” (battle ensues)
(after Ilwrath’s defeat)
COMMANDER HAYES - “What a beautiful sight, Captain! I haven’t seen an Avenger blown away like that since the Battle in Draco. I guess you’ve shown that you can handle yourself in battle, Captain, so my last reservation about helping you has been dissolved. I will commit this station to helping free Earth and defeat the Ur-Quan. We may get our atoms rearranged in the process, but by God, Captain, we’re going to try! So, the obvious first step is to get your Precursor equipment and software over here so that we can make it work with our ship repair fabricators. But then what, Captain?”
CAPTAIN ZELNICKThe Ilwrath.”

COMMANDER HAYES“I still have nightmares about those spiders, taking me prisoner -- using me as one of their sick sacrifices to Dogar and Kazon, their twin gods of destruction and torment. Those guys were almost as scary as the Androsynth to those of us in deep-space patrol. Their Avenger ships could appear out of nowhere and melt a Cruiser down to slag in seconds. Luckily for us, the bulk of the Ilwrath fleet was thrown against the Chenjesu and the Mmrnmhrm.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK “How did the War with the Ur-Quan start?”

COMMANDER HAYESEarth got involved late in the game, in 2112, when the Chenjesu arrived in our solar system for the first time, so let’s back up a few years to 2098, when the Chenjesu’s super-sensitive receivers detected a strange signal from the Ophiuchi constellation. Though even the Chenjesu didn’t know it, it was the first sign of the Ur-Quan’s arrival. The Ur-Quan, having detected the presence of many sentient species, were beaming out an exulting hunting cry. The first direct evidence of the Ur-Quan’s intent was the sudden conquest of the Umgah, a solitary, though not unfriendly, species in the Orionis constellation. The Chenjesu, distraught by the invasion, were further angered when the Ur-Quan turned their fleets on the hostile but weak Ilwrath race. A hastily assembled defense force of Mmrnmhrm and Chenjesu vessels turned the Ur-Quan fleet aside, but the invader moved into Spathi space, rapidly subjugating that race. With each new conquest, the Ur-Quan fleet grew larger as it added slave vessels to its ranks. Earth joined the Chenjesu to form the Alliance of Free Stars at about the same time as the Androsynth stars fell to the Ur-Quan armada. Before the ink was dry on our agreement with the Chenjesu in 2116, a new race appeared in orbit around the moon and asked for admittance to the Alliance, it was the Ariloulaleelay. The timing seemed unusual and the Arilou were definitely weird, looking like Saucer Men from Mars, but we were too busy cranking up our moth-balled heavy industry that we didn’t really pay it much attention at the time.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“How should I deal with aliens I meet in space?”

COMMANDER HAYES“That all depends on whom you meet, doesn’t it, Captain? Well, in all seriousness, if you encounter the Ilwrath, VUX, Androsynth, or other Hierarchy battle thralls, I wouldn’t hold out much hope for a peaceful encounter. So if you feel you have the advantage, attack! The resources you will scavenge from the enemies’ wreckage are well worth the effort. If you can find Alliance races who are in a position to help us, then you MUST convince them to join with us! Their assistance may be crucial to our success.”
CAPTAIN ZELNICK“So, what ARE you doing here on Pluto?”

FWIFFO“When the Ur-Quan armada entered this system to subjugate formally the Earthlings, the Ur-Quan presented the humans with the standard slave options: join the Hierarchy as combat thralls, and retain some autonomy, including the right to travel through space, or become a ‘fallow’ species and return to pre-atomic savagery on the surface of their homeworld, encased for all time beneath an impenetrable shield. The Humans chose the latter option, and so were swiftly imprisoned on the surface of Earth, but the Ur-Quan didn’t trust them to obey the restrictions… so they chose a small group of Hierarchy starships from the Ilwrath and Spathi fleets to create the so-called Earthguard, and stationed them at a base on Earth’s moon.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“TELL ME what you are doing on Pluto, NOW!”

FWIFFO“Originally, we were stationed on Earth’s moon, which made us Spathi a bit uneasy, because with each passing day we grew more and more worried about the sneaky Earthlings making a surprise attack, though the Ilwrath kept telling us that was impossible, since the Earthlings had no ships or weapons whatsoever. That made us feel a bit better, but when the Ilwrath left, again we grew fearful, and decided to make a strategic redeployment to Mars. Later on we decided it would be prudent to relocate to Jupiter’s moon, Ganymede, then later Saturn’s moon, Titan, and finally here to Pluto.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“What happened to the Ilwrath stationed in this system?”

FWIFFO“The Ilwrath contingent were supposed to be the toughest ridge-crest, er… the most rigid flipper, no… ah yes - the BACKBONE of the Earthguard force; but they departed not long after the last Ur-Quan Dreadnought vanished from this region of space. They claimed to have received a direct order from their Gods of Evil and Darkness, who had grown dissatisfied with the Ilwraths’ passivity, and wanted them to kill or at least torture someone soon. Personally, I believe they just got bored and went off to have some fun.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“When do you expect the Ilwrath to return?”

FWIFFO“Well, when they were pushing up into HyperSpace 18 years ago, we asked them that very question, and I think they said something to the effect of ‘Real Soon’.”
PKUNKThe stars are in auspicious alignment, the various significant moons are in correct houses, and ambient psychic energies are in balance. All is well, and the universe is at peace. Well, actually 2/3 of our civilization has been decimated by the Ilwrath, but besides that, all is well. It is good to see you again.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“We are seekers of truth. Enlighten us!”

PKUNK“Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news… uh, actually there is some news! It just so happens that it has come to our attention that Dogar and Kazon, the two gods of the Ilwrath, may actually be a hoax. We don’t know who this hoax would have been perpetrated by, but it seems someone has used these fictitious gods to send the Ilwrath down on us.
CAPTAIN ZELNICK“We are seekers of truth. Enlighten us!”

PKUNK“Well, we are quite sure now that Dogar and Kazon are a hoax. Aside from never having seen them on the 4th astral plane where most gods like to hang out, we also recently went back and listened carefully to a recording of one of their broadcasts, which was sent to the Ilwrath on HyperWave channel 44. We were able to detect some giggling at the end of the message. Someone out there is playing some kind of joke on the Ilwrath. Or is it a joke on us? We're not quite sure, but what with all the vaporized planets and total carnage, it may be a while before we can look back and fully appreciate the humor.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Would you mind if I asked you a few things about the Ilwrath?”

PKUNK“Why should we mind? We bear the spidery creatures no ill will. Without darkness there is no light. Without death there is no birth, and thanks to the Ilwrath there’s lots of birth.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“This is just my impression, but they seem rather hostile. Why is that?”

PKUNK“We have delved most deeply into the dark and greasy heart of the Ilwrath. And what do you suppose we found there? Well, we found a torpid, vile, malign, odious, spiteful spirit. Right, no surprises there. What did surprise us though, was what we saw when we regressed into their past lives! It turns out that in their last lives, the Ilwrath were all shining beings of pure light and blissful love. They had reached the pinnacle of spiritual evolution and could go no further. They were perfection. And then, somehow they got just a tiny bit better, and WHAM, they were all of the sudden totally evil. Wouldn’t you know it, get too perfect and you wrap right around to evil. That is why us Pkunk strive to be perfect, but always do little bad and annoying things to keep from ending up like the Ilwrath.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“When was it that they started attacking you?”

PKUNK“When? That’s easy. It was exactly 27 thousand rotations of the 7th planet in the house of Plarty Fum, BEFORE the first alignment of the auspicious constellation of Bis Bis with the heavenly body of Shamla Sool, which was really only a partial alignment. I guess you would say 8 years ago.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“How are you faring in the fight against them?”

PKUNK“We have calculated that at our present rate of attrition, we will exist only on the spiritual plane in a matter of a year or so. Of course, the physical realm does hold a certain course attraction, a material quaintness, if you will. We will be somewhat disappointed to have to leave it.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Is there any way to stop the Ilwrath?”

PKUNK“Hmmm. An interesting question. The answer would be.. YES! If some benign and loving, yet incredibly destructive and powerful force were to simultaneously rip off all of their legs and drop their putrid egg sacs into steaming pools of molten metal, that would have the desired result of ending the conflict. Ah… but I jest. Of course I bear the Ilwrath no ill will, how could I, when I am filled only with love.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Let’s talk about something else.”
MELNORME“No doubt you are familiar with an alien race called the Umgah who live in the Orionis constellation. While they are renowned for their potent and often cruel sense of humor, they have outdone themselves in recent years. Specifically, they have used an unusual HyperWave ’Caster to impersonate the Ilwrath gods Dogar and Kazon. When the Ilwrath began tuning-in to ‘the voices of their gods’ on their HyperWave receivers, their priest caste was understandably skeptical and counselled their many followers to ignore the blasphemous signals. However, in a surprise move, the majority of the Ilwrath then rose up and slaughtered the entire priest caste. Their reasons for this ghastly move included over-taxation, lack of ‘quality death in ceremony’ and the general feeling that the priests had made Dogar and Kazon’s pronouncements overly complex.”

MELNORME“The Ilwrath are presently attacking the Pkunk in the Lacaille and Krueger constellations. These beings have slavish devotion to their dark gods Dogar and Kazon, which in the past few years has been used against them by the Umgah. If you need to manipulate the Ilwrath, we suggest you discover the Umgah’s technique and duplicate it.

MELNORME“The Pkunk are a mystical off-shoot of the Yehat species who left their bird-brothers long ago to found a peaceful enclave in the Krueger and Giclas stars. At the present time, the Pkunk are defending themselves against the Ilwrath who have been commanded to attack the happy birds by Dogar and Kazon. The Pkunk may be unwilling to make a formal alliance with you, but we have confidence that if you explain yourself honestly, they will help your efforts against the Ur-Quan.”
(Regular Spathi – 1st Encounter)
CAPTAIN ZELNICK“That brings up a good point. If you are such cowards, why do you fight for the Ur-Quan?”

SPATHI“This is a sad tale, so do not even try to contain your tears. After the Ur-Quan demolished the Ilwrath, they turned the force of their Armada against us Spathi. The term ‘rapidly subjugated’ would best describe what happened next. When the Ur-Quan arrived at Spathiwa, there was a great ceremony. Part of that ceremony involved blasting portions of our planet’s surface into radioactive dust… and this part we did not enjoy. But the worst was yet to come. Our leaders were called into the command chamber of Ur-Quan Lord 1’s dreadnought, where they were read a long and complicated document explaining the choices given new slaves. When our leaders heard the term ‘forever encased’ and ‘impenetrable shield’ they grew over-excited, I’m afraid, and made a fatal error. The decision was to be transmitted to the Ur-Quan via one of two rods, one colored black, the other white. Our leader handed the white rod to one of the Ur-Quan’s servants, signifying ‘Fallow Slavery’, but the servant somehow exchanged rods and handed the Ur-Quan Lord a black rod… indicating our desire to become fighting slaves! By the time we learned of the switch, it was too late -- the Ur-Quan would not permit a change in status. Following that most tragic day, we were forced to assume the role of an Ur-Quan star-thug. We tried to avoid combat, but the Ur-Quan gave us three warnings, each more strident than the last. When we learned that there would be no fourth warning, simply annihilation… we attended to our new role with improved vigor. Oh, and perhaps you have already guessed -- the Ur-Quan’s servant who made the switch… was an Umgah.
(2nd Encounter - after battling Spathi)
SPATHI“You are mean, cruel and deceitful. I suspect you are an Ilwrath in ape’s clothing. What do you want?”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Have there been any developments of significance?”

SPATHI“Perhaps Captain. I will explain. We have been investigating the ’Caster which we took away from the Umgah after the ‘Jud the Vug’ scandal, 8 years ago. We have uncovered evidence of something strange going on between the Umgah and the Ilwrath over the past many years. We suspect that the Umgah were using the ’Caster to pull off some kind of long-term joke on the Ilwrath , but we are unable to glean any more details.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“What can you tell me about the Ur-Quan Hierarchy?”

SPATHI“Since we never wanted to be in the Hierarchy, and we’re afraid of all the other members, our knowledge on this subject is a bit limited, but I’ll tell you what I know. The Hierarchy is the construct of the Ur-Quan. It exists to maintain their supreme authority over all sentient lifeforms in the galaxy. As far as we know, there are 6 other races active in the Hierarchy, including: the gelatinous Umgah pranksters, the multi-legged, super-violent Ilwrath who are fanatical in their worship of Dogar and Kazon, the Thraddash - a weak and obnoxious race from the Draconis group of stars, the humanoid clones you call Androsynth from Eta Vulpeculae, though they have been strangely absent for some years, the vain VUX, commanded by the brilliant and eccentric general ZEX, and the mysterious Mycon, who ramble endlessly about people, places and events from long ago, as though they happened just today. If there are other Hierarchy races, we are not aware of them.”
(Regular Ilwrath - 1st Encounter)
ILWRATH“What? Can I Believe My Sensory Cluster? I Sense Hu-Mans! I Dance With Joy For Our Good Fortune. The Hu-Man Dies With Such Agony That It Cannot Help But Please Dogar And Kazon.

CAPTAIN ZELNICKIlwrath Vessel: State now the nature of your mission.”

ILWRATHHah! Puny Hu-Man! You Make Me Chitter With Amusement! By The Will Of The Mighty Dogar And Kazon I Am Here To Make You Die, Die, DIE! (Ilwrath attacks)
CAPTAIN ZELNICK“We take pity upon you, weakling Ilwrath. Go now before we change our minds.”

ILWRATH“Ha! Foolish Flesh Sac, Your Obsession With Strength Spells Your Doom. Only Through Enlightenment Achieved With Diligent Ritual Worship Of The Twins Of Darkness Can A Being Truly Be Victorious! Death, No Matter What The Source, Feeds The Wicked Pair. It Is An Ultimate Honor And Victory To Die For This Purpose. We Know In The End Only The Truly Devout Will Reap The Reward That Dogar And Kazon Dispense!” (Ilwrath attacks)
CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Your greed for lives seals your doom. We will slay you by the thousands!”

ILWRATH “You Amuse Us With Your Nonsensical Ramblings. We Look Forward To The Careful Exploration Of Your Structure. First, We Will Peel Back The Curious Follicle-Infested Outer Layer Followed By The Greasy Blankets Of Yellow Lard. Such A Confusing Hodge-Podge Of Parts Can Entertain For Hours! Hu-Man, Prepare Yourself For The Festivities!” (Ilwrath attacks)
CAPTAIN ZELNICK“We mean you no harm; relax.”

ILWRATH“Relax -- Yes! Dogar And Kazon Could Not Say It Better! We Will Engage In The Best Stress-Relieving Activity. Prepare Your Tepid Flesh Bag For Death!” (Ilwrath attacks)
CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Well, I’d love to chat, but I have to go.”

ILWRATH“Where To, Hu-Man? We Are Here To Escort You To The Glistening Chambers Of Pain, Home Of The Heinous Twins Of Darkness. We Will Assist You On Your Journey Of Expiration.” (Ilwrath attacks)
(2nd Encounter)
ILWRATH“What Is It? Mmmm, Hu-Man! It Has Been So Long Since I Have Seen a Hu-Man Die! We Will Bet On How Many Parts We Can Remove Before It Stops Making Noise! Now, You Space-Ship Captain, Begin The Expedient Transfer Of All Hu-Man Crew So That We May Waste No Time.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Your presence here is of interest. Please enlighten us.”

ILWRATH“It Is The Good Will Of Dogar And Kazon That Brings The Fodder Hu-Man To Us! Were It Not For The Dark Lords Of Deceptions’ Mighty Directive, We Would Not Have The Good Fortune To Intercept You For A Festive Limb Wringing! Your Fight For Life, Though Futile, Serves The Noble Purpose And Appeases Our Honored Deities. You Have Earned The Right To Hold Your Head High!” (Ilwrath attacks)

(Note: Is it just me or does undergoing a “limb wringing” seem relatively innocuous, considering how the Ilwrath usually describe their tortuous methods?)
(3rd Encounter)
ILWRATH“Ah, Hu-Man! You Join Us In The Celebration Of Dogar And Kazon! We Grow Excited: The Hu-Man Makes Excellent Ceremony. When We Peel It, Urgent Bleating Comes From The Noisemaker. Then The Green Eye Of Dogar Observes It Writhe Upon The Altar, And The Cilia Of Kazon Swell, Indicating Their Readiness For The Juices. It Squirms With Vigor Until We Pop The Crunchy Noisemaker. Rejoice! The Duo Of Deception Shall Receive Their Supplication.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“What is this ‘Doggone’ and ‘Quasar’ thing anyway?”

ILWRATH“Incorrectness! We Come From The Eye Of Dogar. Such A Quasar Exists Nowhere Near This Location! Look In The Heavens At Location 022.9, 366.6 And Gaze Into The Depths Of Its All-Seeing Eye If You Dare! Only By The Sparing Caress Of Kazon’s Anointed Cilia Will You survive Such An Act. Else You Will Bless The Altar Of Consumption With Your Ceremonial Blood!” (Ilwrath attacks)
(4th Encounter)
ILWRATH“Your Fortuitous Arrival Bodes Well For Our Ceremony Of Consumption! The Hu-Man Must Prepare: It Must Perform A Complete Depilation, Then Anoint Its Surface With The Larval Paste Of Our Stillborn Offspring. At The Altar Of The Duo Of Darkness We Suck The Bony Strength From The Fleshy Weakness, While The Hu-Man Squeals For Either Dogar Or Kazon! Hu-Man, Listen Closely To These Words… Favor Neither God With Your Screams, Lest You Tragically Taint The Consumption!”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“What are you Ilwrath spending your time doing?”

ILWRATH“In The Brief Golden Moment - During The War With Your Alliance - We Ilwrath Enjoyed Unequaled Merriment And Festivities. So Much Blood And Lymph Fluid! Then, After The Ur-Quan Made Your Kind Fallow Slaves, We Were Forced To Use Species Indigenous To Our Planet For Amusement. We Lived A Pleasant Existence Until a Scandal Rocked The Ilwrath! The Grah -- Our Favorite Species To Torment, Which We Carefully Maintained At The Brink Of Extinction, Had Been Completely Consumed! A Bureaucratic Error Was To Blame. Quality Death Became Rare. Our Highly Advanced Civilization Began To Show Signs Of Degeneracy. In Our Moment Of Need, We Prayed To The Mighty Duo For Direction, And They Answered. ‘Go Forth. Seek The Bird Beings. Pluck Them Slowly. Eviscerate Their Gasping Husks. Let Dogar And Kazon Drink Their Death And Pain!’ We Went Forth And We Found The Pkunk, But Hu-Man, Now We Are Supremely Joyful, Because You Die So Much Better!” (Ilwrath attacks)
(5th Encounter)
ILWRATH“By The Green Eye Of Dogar, It Is a Squishy Bone-Bag Hu-Man! It Is Waiting For Kazon To Knead Its Body With The Cilia Of Dread Until It Can Only Roll And Bleat. Hah! It Can Only Hope To Be So Honored. Even Now It Begs For Death And So Now I Must Decide… Will It Be By Sequentially Bursting Sensory Apparatus Until Nothing Remains? Will It Be By Shaking It Until It Is Oozing All Over? Will It Be By Chewing Off Bits And Pieces Until It No Longer Functions? Hmm, I Think Not The Latter -- Too Many Bones.”
(Procyon II - endless Ilwrath)

ILWRATH“Caught You, Didn’t I? We Have Monitored Your Visit To This World With Great Interest. Your Plans For Trickery Are Pitiful… And Make Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement. And So Now, Squishy Hu-Man… I wonder What Sort Of Noise You Will Make… When I Pull Off Your Arms? A High And Wailing Scream, Or A Low Moan Of Ultimate Suffering?”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“Look, before you try to kill me, would you tell me a bit about yourselves?”

ILWRATH“Though Such Information Is Normally Holy And Secret, I Find I Am Unable To Contain Myself. Know This Fact… You Are Hu-Man, Weak And Alone In This Universe With No Gods To Protect You. I Know This, Because The Only True Gods Are Our Own Ilwrath Deities, Dogar And Kazon! Dogar Is The Killer In A Black Cloak… The Great Destroyer… The Bloody-Clawed Murderer… The Dark Beast With A Thousand Young! Kazon, On The Other Claw, Is The Great Deceiver… The Malevolent Evil In The Darkness… The Unstoppable Monster Who Has No Pity… The Hungry Lurker In The Night. These Are Our Gods -- The ONLY Gods! How Do We Know, You Ask? Because Dogar And Kazon TOLD US So.”

CAPTAIN ZELNICK“It’s been swell, guys. See ya.”

ILWRATH“Not So Fast, Tender Hu-Man! You Must First Pay Homage To The Universal Deities Dogar And Kazon! The Payment Is Simple And Within Your Means.
You Will Pay With Your Lives!”
(Ilwrath attacks)
(Procyon II - next encounters)
ILWRATH“So… The Hu-Man Has Returned To Visit Its Entombed Mentors Of Deceit! I Am Emotionally Moved By This Poignant Moment, And Feel Compelled To Make Immediate Obeisance. Flaccid Earthling -- I Will Pour Your Warm Circulatory Fluid Across The Altar Of Dogar… And Dance A Jig Of Cruelty Atop Your Cooling Corpse.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whew! Okay, well… although there were numerous avenues of interest for us to explore (such as the location of the “Eye Of Dogar”, which we may have to check out at some point in the near future) but the main thing that stood from the rest was the dialogue that included the Umgah playing deplorable tricks on the Ilwrath (and even morseso on the Pkunk, considering).

I screened out and separated the text in pink and red and specifically reviewed those texts, while also cross-referencing that information with some of the dialogue from the Pkunk and Melnorme, and it became fairly easy to see the correlation between the Ilwrath and Umgah, and it especially comes through when the Umgah’s mean pranking methods are intertwined with the Ilwrath’s worship of Dogar and Kazon, as well as the manipulation of the Ilwrath inflicted by the blob jesters.

So, that got me to thinking about the Umgah ’Caster that we have onboard, and perhaps it can perform more of a vital function than merely summoning the Melnorme or talking with the Mmrch through the slave shield of their home planet. If that is the case, then maybe we could use it in the same manner in which the Umgah were using it on the Ilwrath, but of course instead of using it to send them to slaughter the poor Pkunk guys by the thousands, maybe we could use it to lure the Ilwrath away from Procyon II!

We will head back to the Procyon System and give it a try! Captain out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:52 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Question: Is there a summary? That's quite a... substantial amount of text you've got there. I might read through it if I get the time, but I don't really have a sufficient quantity of it right now.

Also,
Did you actually get a program to check through it, or have you been doing all this by hand? Kudos for neat programming if it's the former, kudos for your effort if it's the latter.

Last edited by Quasispatial on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Quasispatial wrote:
Question: Is there a summary? That's quite a... substantial amount of text you've got there. I might read through it if I get the time, but I don't really have a sufficient quantity of it right now.

It’s not exactly a summary, but if you skip down to the bottom of the post, I draw some conclusions as I end the log entry. Since most folks around here are already very familiar with most of the in-game dialogue, you can also skim through much of the it, exploring the different color-coded themes that are getting a closer look.

Quasispatial wrote:
Also,
Did you actually get a program to check through it, or have you been doing all this by hand? Kudos for your effort if it's the former, kudos for neat programming if it's the latter.

That was actually all Trog-generated work! :D Thanks, I’m glad that it created the perception that it could’ve possibly been performed by a software application; that was exactly the effect what I was going for, since I was trying to create a simulation of something the Vindicator’s computer could produce quickly for Captain Zelnick, so it’s a bit non sequitur to imply that the computer popped out the results after a few seconds, when it obviously took me much longer. It was tedious work indeed, but also fun for me as well to do research as such, and I’m also hoping it shall prove helpful when I return to Procyon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

The hypothetical pools of molten metal tagged as a location :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102  Next