Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:07 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:30 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

That was what I wanted to hint at...
That even with full techupgrades, the plant will be on the hot side of warm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:38 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it getting hot in here or is it just me?

OOC: As everybody undoubtedly already knows, when entering a star system, there is only a limited amount of information that the Vindicator's sensors reveal: The star and its size and color, as well as any alien ships that are roaming around, along with the number, approximate size and color classification of any planets, but the other subtle piece of information that gets revealed is each of those planet's approximate temperature, as indicated by their orbital ring's color. This is of course why I make it a point to record this data whereupon entering any new system, to better prepare myself for any contingencies, and I've noticed that temperature is a key factor that can be easily overlooked, and therefore neglecting it would be foolhardy.

I still remember the very first time I left the Sol system and ventured out to the nearby Sirius system, a white giant star, only to discover that the planetary conditions of its only planet were some of the most inhospitable ever! It's true that there were also lightning storms and earthquakes to contend with, but I'll never forget how the molten lava (which acts more like random occurring flaming snakes than lava) ripped through the lander like it was nothing! Ouch!

After I'd acquired all available Melnorme lander upgrades, they've practically nullified most planetside problems like tectonic tremors, which can be briefly anticipated and dodged, as well as biological lifeforms, whereas a quick study of their behavior, along with good usage of the lander's stunner, can help any of the more violent ones to be dealt with rather easily, and even the lightning strikes aren't much of a concern on most planets unless their weather classification is level 5 or higher, which is somewhat seldom.

But even with the specialized heat shielding, hot worlds can still be a persistent nuisance, and the hotter the surface is, the more numerous the fiery fiends there are; sometimes to the point where avoidance is simply impossible. In most cases, I've found it's best to ignore ALL the planetary conditions and focus on the task at hand and hope that the Melnorme's technology does its job. Speaking of which…

(Meanwhile…)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Apr 12, 2157 - Alpha Pavonis VII

We’ve entered orbit of the 7th planet, a Noble World, and we promptly scanned it:

Orbit: 12.1 a.u…………………Mass: 0.01 e.s.
Atmo: 1.86 atm…………………Radius: 0.32 e.s.
Temp: 451° C……………………Gravity: 0.10 g
Weather: Class 2………………Day: 233.5 days
Tectonics: Class 2………………Tilt: 12°

Our energy scans are detecting something in the southeastern section -- that must be the downed Dreadnought!! Our other scanners are detecting 12 deposits of noble gases along with 22 biological lifeforms, but we’re obviously much more concerned with checking out the shipwreck site.

We’re sending down the Lander. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

We didn’t want to waste any time with minerals and lifeforms before heading for the crash site, and due to the elevated temperatures and possibly dangerous lifeforms (which only turned out to be an assortment of bug-eyed worms, slow-moving radial tentacled creatures and bowls of jewels lifeforms), I had the lander dispatched as close to the energy signature reading as possible, and soon we were receiving a transmission from the landing team:

---- REPORT FROM SURFACE ----

CAPTAIN, WE HAVE LOCATED THE WRECK OF AN UR-QUAN
DREADNOUGHT HERE ON THE PLANET'S SURFACE.
THE FACT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING BUT A HOLE IN THE
GROUND INDICATES THAT THE VEHICLE MUST HAVE HAD
SOME ENGINE POWER LEFT TO SOFTEN ITS CRASH.
MOST OF THE DREADNOUGHT IS JUST SO MUCH
<continued below>

This is fantastic! Fortunately, the Warp Pod we obtained from the Dreadnought’s engine core is completely intact and seemingly functional. Even though our Chief Engineer would love to fiddle with the bulky thing, as a precaution I’ve had them place it in cargo bay next to the clear spindle, the big glowing rock, the Syreen’s shuttlecraft and of course the 3 giant cracked eggshells:

Now that we have what the Arilou need to make the necessary modifications and fitting our flagship with a nifty portal spawning thing-a-ma-jig, we’ll head back with due haste to make it in time for the opening of the dimensional portal into QuasiSpace, but our navigator informed me we’ll probably miss it by a few days. I’m having engineering transfer all auxiliary power to the engines to get as much speed out of her as possible to try and make it in time! LET’S GO!!

We are setting course for the coordinates of the Quasispace spatial anomaly. Captain out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:21 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

You SAY you have 3 giant cracked eggshells, but I see one. I think duplicates do appear in that list if you fetch them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:59 am 
Arilou wiseguy

They do, but one he gave one to the Syreen. So he should have only two left.
And the other one may be in the listing on the previous page (just above what we can see).
Iirc, the list of devices does not scroll, but flips pages. Therefore an empty slot is also shown.

I'm curious to what else he can do with the egg cases....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:48 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle's correct, the other devices were on the previous screen, which scrolls into the next one:

However, as one can see, if you compare both device screens then you'll see that I indeed still have all 3 egg cases; apparently Commander Talana only has a visual inspection when they're revealed to her by me… I mean, Captain Zelnick.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:52 pm 
Orz *camper*

The Troglodyte wrote:
However, as one can see, if you compare both device screens then you'll see that I indeed still have all 3 egg cases; apparently Commander Talana only has a visual inspection when they're revealed to her by me… I mean, Captain Zelnick.

I was just about to say that... Even if you have just one when you visit Talana, you still have it afterward; you don't give it to her.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Okay, my bad. Thanks.

Now, what will you do with orbital-entry stable egg cases?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:09 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Spoilers are one thing, but asking open-ended questions when there isn't enough information to yet to make progress? Really? Can we just let him play?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:19 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

krulle wrote:
Okay, my bad. Thanks.

Now, what will you do with orbital-entry stable egg cases?

Well, you can't have a mushroom omelette without breaking a few Mycon eggs! But seriously, Death makes a good point, because at this stage in the game, I will have much on my plate for a good portion of the foreseeable future, so there's no need for bringing up anything that could in any way preempt discovery.

As soon as I acquire that Arilou toy, I'll basically be handed the metaphorical key to the city, where I'm expcting to have unlimited access to the QuasiSpace portals, so things will probably start advancing rather quickly. I know I've probably never said this before but… Speaking of which…

(The Trog Log continues…)
Captain’s Log - Apr 21, 2157 - Beta Chandrasekhar - Status: Green

Before leaving Alpha Pavonis VII, I thought about returning to the surface to gather the noble gases and capture some lifeforms, but we really needed to hurry up and get going, so I forewent the scientific mission and we hit the thrusters into full gear to gather up speed for system departure and then upon entering HyperSpace the helm held the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor during our entire voyage to Arilou space, but we would still end up missing the opening by only a couple of days! Damn…

Oh well, this will be a good opportunity to explore the surrounding region while we wait for it to open up again next month, so before we made it to our plotted destination point, I had us alter course and we’ve just arrived at Beta Chandrasekhar(copy/paste), a white dwarf star with only 2 planets, both of which have fairly far orbits from the hot sun, and as a result are both within the cool zone:

Planet 1 - Small Green
Planet 2 - Medium Green

Chandrasekhar(copy/paste) comes from the name of a late twentieth century Indian-American astrophysicist, Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar(copy/paste), who was awarded the 1983 Nobel Prize for Physics with William A. Fowler “for his theoretical studies of the physical processes of importance to the structure and evolution of the stars”. Chandrasekhar(copy/paste) worked on a wide variety of astrophysical problems in his lifetime, contributing to the contemporary understanding of all sorts of “space stuff”:

His mathematical treatment of stellar evolution yielded many of the best current theoretical models of the later evolutionary stages of massive stars and black holes, and he also developed a theoretical model explaining the structure of white dwarf stars that took into account the relativistic variation of mass with the velocities of electrons that comprise their degenerate matter.

The Chandrasekhar(copy/paste) limit is named after him, where he showed that the mass of a white dwarf could not exceed 1.44 times that of the Sun – the Chandrasekhar(copy/paste) limit, which seems ironic at the moment, considering we’re currently in a white dwarf system.

We will set course for the innermost planet. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log - Apr 21, 2157 - Beta Chandrasekhar(copy/paste) I

Upon approach of the planet, our sensors detected a pair of probes in orbit that we had to take care of before proceeding, but now with that little bit of business behind us, we have entered standard orbit of a Quasi-Degenerate World, which usually hosts degenerate matter. Again… the irony!

I wonder if there may be an abundance of these type of worlds being so close to the dimensional opening that perhaps there is an abundance of stray degenerate matter getting flung about the region.

The conditions are pretty good with the one notable exception of class 5 tectonics, but we’re after the only single deposit of exotic minerals of degenerate matter on the surface, so we’ll send the lander down in close proximity to minimize the mild danger.

We will send down the lander shortly. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Supplemental:

We gathered up 9 units of degenerate matter from the surface!

We will now set course for the 2nd planet. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log - Apr 22, 2157 - Beta Chandrasekhar(copy/paste) II

We have just entered orbit of an Emerald World, and it’s a remarkable beauty! We’ve only seen one other of these type of planets, and that was a good while back when we were exploring Mycon space, in Delta Sextantis, and this one seems to have very similar conditions, which conveniently includes nominal surface conditions. Not only that, but this one also has a dozen deposits of exotic minerals, which a quick look at our planetary database shows that they will likely be gobs and gobs of aguuti nodules and antimatter, since some of the deposits are incredibly large for exotic minerals. Woo-hoo!

We will dispatch the lander to the surface. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Supplemental:

We found 39 units of antimatter and 126 aguuti nodules!! Perfect!

We will set course for Epsilon Chandrasekhar(copy/paste). Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:52 pm 
Arilou wiseguy

Yeah, well. You know me (a bit by now).
I wanted to incite you to elaborate theories.
You don't know what they are for inside the game yet (besides having proof for the Syreen), but maybe you have theories.
Although, IIRC, you do not have all the data necessary to have a good idea to make educated guesses what the game will allow you to do with these things.

Also, I love reading your theories about the devices and possible uses in-game.
you have a lot of knowledge from the Melnorme, but if I remember correctly, they only tell you what the Mycon Egg case is for (triggering further talk options with the Syreen), thus indirectly telling you where at least one of them is. (I think the Melnorme say nothing about the other two egg cases, but I don't have the time right now to delve into the chat files.)

[edit - redacted for disclosing what can not be done with the Mycon egg case] Dang. This can be considered to be a spoiler, even if it just ends a possible speculative thought.
If anyone wants to discuss (or simply know) what I first wanted to do with these things in my first game (the game does not allow this), send me a PM...
Or if The Trog doesn't mind speculative nonsense which does not appear in-game (nor is hinted at), he can clear me to post this tidbit of my first game. [7edit]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 102  Next