Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1036 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 104  Next
 Post subject: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:22 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

So I used to play Star Control 1 in high school and enjoyed it thoroughly, even though I felt the only thing missing was a main story line. The Melee mode was awesome but for a 1-player it was pretty much for training to know all of the ships and their strengths and weaknesses and carry that over into the campaign missions. Still I found it very enjoyable and I loved the strategic value in ship vs ship and tactical maneuvers in campaign-mode and I always have appreciated the simplistic yet realistic approach to space combat.

I recently discovered Ur-Quan Masters when I began doing some reminiscing about old games I used to play, and I felt like it was much more like a game I could embrace and embark on a quest to immerse myself in the gloriousness THAT IS Star Control..2?..or Ur-Quan?..or whatever it's called, the 3DO one with people talking and crap.

I've already begun by doing some necessary prep work, which means I searched for a barebones copy of a starmap and printed several copies, including a massive poster-size map to chart my progress and discoveries. I'm also going to use a tape recorder as a "flight recorder" of sorts to be able to make log entries and later transcribe to keep records of valuable information or anything I might need to refer back to. The answer to the question in your head is YES! I am one of those crazy trekie guys who takes this stuff WAY too seriously...and I also suffer from Peter Pan Syndrome.

I'd also welcome any thoughts, advice (no spoilers though please), opinions, concerns, questions, subpoenas, ultimatums, inquests, or communications (or even excommunications) on the matter. Perhaps even recalling your own personal experiences when you played through the game for the first time. Thanks!

EDIT: I've added a series of links to allow one to jump to any particular part of my mission along with a thumbnail sketch description of most everything I've accomplished so far!

Mission 1: Vela to Sol

Discovered the slave-shielded Earth, Starbase and Ur-Quan Drone.
Met Commander Hayes, went to Mercury for radioactives, came back, found Moon Base, came back again and met Ilwrath, learned about Pkunk, blew up uncloaked Avenger.
Outfitted Vindicator and listened to a history lesson from Hayes.

Mission 2: Explored and mined most of Sol

Mission 3: Finished Sol & met Fwiffo

Learned about Spathiwa and a subtle reference to Delta Lyncis.
Hayes reported about Rigel upon return to base.

Mission 4: Explored and mined the surrounding stars and met my first of many Probes.

Hayes reported about Melnorme in Alpha Centauri when we returned to base.

Mission 5: Met the Melnorme in Alpha Centauri and mined the Centauri region

Mission 6: Met Pkunk

Did some business with Melnorme and met the Pkunk.
Went to Gamma Krueger and received the Clear Spindle and 4 Pkunk ships.

Mission 7: Met Tanaka

Explored and mined Ptolemae and Gorno.
Met Tanaka, insult/retreat/rinse/repeat, convinced him we were friends, learned about Zeta Sextantis rainbow world and possible Mycon device at Beta Brahe.
Learned all possible info from Melnorme, and bought more tech.

Mission 8: Met ZFP, ZEX, the Orz, Talana & the Spathi

Went to Rigel and met the ZFP, who told us to go to their homeworld in Alpha Tucanae.
Went to Vela and found it to be slave-shielded, and guarded by an Ur-Quan Dreadnought, which we destroyed.
Went to Alpha Cerenkov and met Admiral ZEX and learned about the Shofixti females in his possession.
Met other VUX and experimented with learning all possible dialogue.
Studied the maps and made a possible connection between the creature ZEX wants and Delta Lyncis, but it remains unconfirmed so far.
Met the Orz, made an alliance with them and found the Taalo Shield along with the Androsynth's destroyed homeworld.
Discovered the Pkunk had begun their first migration.
Went to Betelgeuse and met Talana.
Went to Epsilon Gruis and met some Spathi along the way.
Met with the Spathi High Council and removed all of the Evil Ones from their homeworld, and then made an alliance with the Spathi.
We stopped off at Alpha Illuminati and purchased all remaining tech and info from the Melnorme, and then we returned home.

Mission 9: Ilwrath, Yehat & Mycon...oh my!

Went to Procyon and found the Chenjesu/Mmrnmhrm slave-shielded world and their orbital platform, and we had to battle the Ilwrath.
Convinced the Pkunk to turn around, and then we went to Yehat space, but couldn't accomplish much with them.
Found the rainbow world in Zeta Sextantis, and after exploring more of VUX space for awhile, we headed into Mycon space.
Met the Mycon, didn't learn much from them, and found a ton of Mycon Podships orbiting Epsilon Scorpii I and Beta Brahe I.
Explored the Mycon region very thoroughly and eventually found 3 Egg Cases (Beta Copernicus, Gamma Scorpii & Gamma Brahe) and another rainbow world in Gamma Kepler, but also discovered the Spathi's SOI had disappeared.
Showed Talana the egg cases and she agreed to help us if we could find their Syreen ships in a vault.
Began the search, and started by going towards Epsilon Gruis, where we discovered the Spathi had slave-shielded themselves and left us the Umgah Caster on their moon.
Went to Alpha Tucanae and made an alliance with the ZFP, who told us about a door in Epsilon Camelopardalis, so we tried to go there, but ran into Ur-Quan Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah, so we found the secret vault is in Epsilon Camelopardalis, but because of fuel constraints and too many UQ, had to use the time portal to reset.
Discovered the Pkunk had begun their second migration.

Mission 10: Pkunk Cryogenics Experiment - present

Last edited by The Troglodyte on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:59 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

Ah, Star Control 2...
I remember back when I played through it for the first time. I'd gone on this really long mining mission, then I caught whiff of something which I'm not going to mention because that would be spoilers, from a source which is equally spoilers. Regardless, I flew straight on over there, did... stuff, found a really great planet and then, to my horror, I find that no, I cannot mine out this highly valuable planet because I wouldn't have enough fuel to get back home if I did. Saddened, I left the bounty untouched and travelled back home, barely getting there as I didn't have enough fuel to even make a single turn for the sake of dodging an incoming enemy fleet.
So please, do stock up on fuel. Running out is never fun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:24 am 
Ilwrath torturer

Pay attention to characters that seem to be hinting at things. You might find that not everything is immediately obvious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:55 am 
ZFP Peacekeeper

After each conversation line you can review it in text form. Sometimes the audio isn't very clear and you might miss some crucial points that way.

Enjoy your journey!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:45 am 
Slylandro gasbags

Don't buy the tribble. Just DON'T!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:29 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

But Angelfish! They're so cute and cuddly! And really...what harm could one little tribble do?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:14 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Thanks Quasispatial for your story, I could almost imagine a ship...going somewhere...and doing something...sort of.

But your advice on fuel I will definitely take to heart. I'm planning on making a flight plan that will take me in a circular path with the neighboring stars for early interstellar exploration. It would seem that mining might be a basic source of revenue, so I'll chart which planets have the highest mineral density for future reference. Then I'll return to Starbase and offload and make any necessary upgrades, and head back to the "outer rim" and continue. This should hopefully alleviate some of the fuel restraints during my early game, assuming of course I don't run into any other problems that would require more immediate drastic measures.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:00 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

The Troglodyte wrote:
Thanks Quasispatial for your story, I could almost imagine a ship...going somewhere...and doing something...sort of.

But your advice on fuel I will definitely take to heart. I'm planning on making a flight plan that will take me in a circular path with the neighboring stars for early interstellar exploration. It would seem that mining might be a basic source of revenue, so I'll chart which planets have the highest mineral density for future reference. Then I'll return to Starbase and offload and make any necessary upgrades, and head back to the "outer rim" and continue. This should hopefully alleviate some of the fuel restraints during my early game, assuming of course I don't run into any other problems that would require more immediate drastic measures.

You should always leave time for the unexpected! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:51 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

Oh, and by the way, I would also recommend getting more than one "slot" with storage, at least in the early game, for the sake of fuel efficiency. The more you can bring back in one go, the less fuel you have to spend getting to the places you are going to mine, as you won't need to go back and forth as many times. Just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:59 pm 
Hunam adventurer

I envy you trog. Playing the best game ever for the first time. I actually had to retake a couple classes way back when because i couldn't stop playing!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1036 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 104  Next