Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:12 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Quasispatial wrote:
No offense, but that Yehat dialogue was sort of... cringy.

You think that’s bad, you should hear my real-life attempt at talking with a Scottish accent! My wife says it sounds more like a pirate, AARG! :lol: In my defense though, I took plain speech and ran it through the first Scottish accent generator I could find. And to flip the script, how would you have written those lines?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

The Troglodyte wrote:
And to flip the script, how would you have written those lines?

Now that's bein' a good question ye be askin', Human. The problem is being that some o' yer sentences be seeming pretty odd, so I be needin' ta change yer meaning some. I make no promises that me words be perfection, captain, but fer what t'is worth, ye have me own versions below.

1): "Aye, captain. Things be progressin' well fer our part as well. We be havin' a little trouble wi' tha fighter swarms, but we be knowin' a few tricks from tha last war. Jus' point us at tha nearest enemy an' watch tha fireworks."

2): "That's bein' over twenty brave revolutionists, captain. Veep-eep an' Meep-eep is bein' particularly notable. This bein' a proper war council, I'll be sparin' you tha details, but know that each an' every crewmember is ready ta do their part in tha battles ta come."

3): "Ye should ne'er underestimate tha power of a Terminator, captain. Our vessel may be tha smaller bird, but that dunnae make us helpless. Ye may find that we can fight back wi' equal fervor, assumin' Reep-eep be gettin' tha hang o' those shield controls."

4): (Honestly, I was bein' rather unsure as to yer meanin' wi' this one, captain. Then I be realizin' that yer usin' tha old version, an' that it be havin' a diff'rent image ta tha new un. I should just be sayin' that if this was bein' a problem, tha Terminator design would nae have stuck around fer all these years.)

(Me advice fer ye is bein' that ye should nae go so heavy on tha changes. Give yer translater less credit, captain, an' try ta write it yerself tha next time. Tha converter yer mentioning be causin' more harm than good.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:04 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Apr 17, 2158 – HyperSpace {585.0 : 621.3}

So far, so good. We exited the Sol System, activated the Portal Spawner, traveled for a few days and entered portal 12 at QS coordinates {520.0 : 540.0} and have arrived on the other side right we had anticipated… in dead center of Ur-Quan space!

There’s no sign of any hostile ships in the area, but that will soon likely change as we begin upturning stones in the systems nearby. We will begin with the closest star. Hopefully, we’ll be able to jump from star to star without arousing too much in terms of our whereabouts. Or better yet, hopefully the first place we check will contain the dreaded Sa-Matra.

We will set course for Theta Crateris. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Meanwhile…) (today is switching things around day!)

The Troglodyte wrote:
And to flip the script, how would you have written those lines?

Quasispatial wrote:
Now that's bein' a good question ye be askin', Human. The problem is being that some o' yer sentences be seeming pretty odd, so I be needin' ta change yer meaning some. I make no promises that me words be perfection, captain, but fer what t'is worth, ye have me own versions below.

These were great, Spatial! I wasn’t sure if you were going to respond so directly to my request, and I’m pleasantly surprised that you did, and I liked the way you rewrote the lines, making them your own. Superb!

Quasispatial wrote:
4): (Honestly, I was bein' rather unsure as to yer meanin' wi' this one, captain. Then I be realizin' that yer usin' tha old version, an' that it be havin' a diff'rent image ta tha new un. I should just be sayin' that if this was bein' a problem, tha Terminator design would nae have stuck around fer all these years.)

Were you referring to this line?

The Troglodyte wrote:
Captain Yeep-eep – “Aye, lest time mah neck was so sair I cooldn’t fly fur a week!”

I was trying the convey the idea that just like the Syreen require their foot to fire their weapon...
The Troglodyte wrote:
Captain Teela – “Well, sir, to be frank, you don’t have to depend solely on your foot in battle to fire your main weapon!”

The Troglodyte wrote:
Captain Fwiffo - “I get it! ‘Solely!’”

…in the same manner, I was comparing that with the way the Yehat turn left and right over and over as they steer their ship:

I may be highly influenced by watching so many combat simulations at cyborg settings, where the constant pivoting back and forth tendencies of the human pilot showcases the repetitive head turn from the Yehat pilot. Peculiar that many of the ships tend to be ran as if they’re one-man fighters, with essentially one person directly controlling the outcome of the battle.

Quasispatial wrote:
(Me advice fer ye is bein' that ye should nae go so heavy on tha changes. Give yer translater less credit, captain, an' try ta write it yerself tha next time. Tha converter yer mentioning be causin' more harm than good.)

I’ll have to give it a go at some point, and I’ll try to use your examples as a guide. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:19 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

The Troglodyte wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:

Were you referring to this line?

The Troglodyte wrote:
Captain Yeep-eep – “Aye, lest time mah neck was so sair I cooldn’t fly fur a week!”

I was trying the convey the idea that just like the Syreen require their foot to fire their weapon...
The Troglodyte wrote:
Captain Teela – “Well, sir, to be frank, you don’t have to depend solely on your foot in battle to fire your main weapon!”

[image removed for the sake of space]

…in the same manner, I was comparing that with the way the Yehat turn left and right over and over as they steer their ship:

[image removed for the sake of space]

I may be highly influenced by watching so many combat simulations at cyborg settings, where the constant pivoting back and forth tendencies of the human pilot showcases the repetitive head turn from the Yehat pilot. Peculiar that many of the ships tend to be ran as if they’re one-man fighters, with essentially one person directly controlling the outcome of the battle.

Indeed I was. However, I seriously doubt the Terminator's steered with head motions. That would be quite ridiculous. What I believe is that the turning of the head observed on screen is a reflection of the Yehat captain quite literally looking in the direction they're turning to better see where they're going. Now, there's no need to whip one's head back and forth when one's just making small adjustments, so the actual combat screen is evidently a little bit... misrepresentative within the simulator. If the "turn your head to see where you're going" design was a real problem, however, it would have been redesigned in the decades since the ship model's inception.

Anyway, glad to hear you liked my lines. I think they turned out fairly good, all in all, and I'm looking forward to seeing your next attempt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113