About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:01 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Feb 18, 2158 – Epsilon Scorpii – Yellow Alert

We have arrived safely to the Epsilon Scorpii System, but whether or not it stays safe is another matter altogether, considering there are numerous Mycon Podships on planetary system sensors -- 7 groups of Podships in visual range of our medium strength sensors, and no doubt there are going to be additional patrols closer to their respective planets… especially the innermost world, which in all likelihood has now become the Mycon’s primary home planet:

On our way here, I checked up on our navigational path thus far and I’m surprised as well as delighted to report that with the complete exploration of Yehat space, we now have 4 different alien species whose territories have been summarily explored and documented, including the Yehat, Orz, Mycon and VUX.

Also, halfway on our journey, just outside of Delta Sculptoris, which falls between the two-warring Yehat clans, VUX space and greatly reduced Mycon space, we stopped and used the Umgah ’Caster to signal the Melnorme, who dropped in and refueled our ship before we continued, since we were down to less than 30 units of fuel, which would’ve left us rather vulnerable had we started running low inside Mycon space.

We’ve made our back to Mycon space mostly out of curiosity; I’d like to see if their reaction to our presence will be any different now that they’ve returned home with their tails between their legs, or perhaps their tendrils between their spore sacs, whichever the case may be. We will try to avoid the other Mycon within the system as we make our way towards the inner part of the system.

We will set course for the Mycon Homeworld; Epsilon Scorpii I. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Feb 20, 2158 – Epsilon Scorpii – (Near Planet 1) – Red Alert

As we passed by the third planet, well out of reach of the Podship contingent in far orbit, 2 additonal patrol groups emerged from the planet and made their way towards the innermost planet, which was where we were willfully working (septuple!) our way toward as well, but we had little time to alter course before they had picked up our trail and moved in our position. They weren’t going to catch us, nor would any of the other ships behind us that had just became aware of our presence, so we continued on course towards the innermost planet.

We had barely made it to the outer edge, just before our sensory cluster automatically switches over to close-range scans, but unfortunately, there was yet another group that came from the 1st planet itself, and we were given no time to perform evasive maneuvers, and we were suddenly at once confronted by 3 Mycon Podships.

We opened communications channels to see if there was anything new we could learn (well, the term “learn” might be a bit of a stretch, considering I can’t say we’ve ever really honestly learned anything from any prior discussion… it’s been more like a guessing game!) but they only stated that we had taken the Solar Manipulator from them, and they want it back because it is important to Juffo-Wup. Wow! We actually learned something from them! Uh… so yeah, we also learned they will fight to the death to try to get their sun thingy back, but wouldn’t the destruction of our ship also destroy their prized (non-)possession?

The Yehat Terminator (which was just christened the H.M.S. Talon yesterday) took it to the Mycon (something they should be getting used to by now!) and had no trouble whatsoever destroying the 3 Podships. We are now back on course for the homeworld, with many more Mycon close behind following us.

We will continue towards the planet. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – Summary:

Yes, we are still at red alert… and we are currently running as fast as we can out of this system. The massive amount of Podships surrounding the innermost planet told us the exact same thing as the others we met before, and I have this distinct impression that every single Mycon are on a fixed notion of the necessity of acquirement of their Sun Device, and any and all Mycon I encounter from this point on is going to make the same announcement verbatim without exception. There is one other place that could be the exception, though…

We will set course for Beta Brahe. Zelnick out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Wait, wait!
They forgot to plant spore sacs in your brain organ and let its tendrils spread through your flesh.
You would've truly understood Juffo-Wup... became part of Juffo-Wup.
You WOULD be happier and more fulfilled!

;)

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:48 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:Uh… so yeah, we also learned they will fight to the death to try to get their sun thingy back, but wouldn’t the destruction of our ship also destroy their prized (non-)possession?
Many Precursor artifacts are known for being extremely resilient, which is why they have survived all these millennia intact. It's quite likely that the Mycon expect to be able to liberate the device from the wreckage of your ship, doubly so considering the conditions of the world they were keeping it on before you took it.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:49 pm

krulle wrote:Wait, wait!
They forgot to plant spore sacs in your brain organ and let its tendrils spread through your flesh.
You would've truly understood Juffo-Wup... became part of Juffo-Wup.
You WOULD be happier and more fulfilled!
Oh, but I do understand Juffo-Wup! As I recall, I learned it from my parents’ parents’ parents’ parents’ parents… so like from my great, great, great grandparents!
Draxas wrote: Many Precursor artifacts are known for being extremely resilient, which is why they have survived all these millennia intact. It's quite likely that the Mycon expect to be able to liberate the device from the wreckage of your ship, doubly so considering the conditions of the world they were keeping it on before you took it.
Hmmm… Good point!

(Meanwhile…)
Captain’s Log – Feb 21, 2158 – Beta Brahe – Yellow Alert

We arrived at the Beta Brahe System just a short while ago and it looks much in the same way the Epsilon Scorpii. Unfortunately, the similarities are the various Mycon Podship patrols out and about, circling many of the planets in this system; there are two pairs of groupings around all but the 3rd planet.

But since our destination is the innermost planet (which is where we originally found the Sun Device) we will have to try and avoid the Mycon as we make our way to the planet, but our trouble may not end there, considering the first time we went there we found countless numbers of Podships protecting their sacred device, and it was only after we managed to lure the Mycon away from the system where we able to gain access to the surface after destroying the 5 Podships left behind to guard their artifact while they dispatched their birthing fleet to Organon. All things considered, however, we should expect the worst.

On a separate note, we checked up on the Ilwrath using the starmap grid sensors, and I had to use the time portal several times to be sure, but it appears that the Ilwrath are no longer in a migratory movement, but it would appear that their SOI has decreased ever so slightly; the circle has essentially shrunk a very tiny degree. We’ll have to keep an eye on it.

We have set course for the 1st planet. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

Well, this has been totally pointless. We’ve upgraded our status to red alert, and just like back in Epsilon Scorpii, we are running from the Mycon at full impulse speed, heading for the edge of the system

The 1st planet was pretty much as we had left it -- there were no Mycon in orbit and the Shattered World was still as it was before, and repeated sensor sweeps of the surface didn’t reveal anything unusual. We sent down a shuttle to investigate, just in case there was some way to leave the Sun Manipulator where we had found it, which we wouldn’t have done, but I wanted to make sure for myself.

Upon leaving orbit, there were many Mycon converging on our position, so I ordered us to allow enough time for all of the Mycon within the system to hear the call from their fungal brethren (so we wouldn’t get ambushed during departure) and then once they were all gathered together, we hit the ship into overdrive and headed for the exit.

I think we’re finished here. It’s time to go see Talana!… Uh, I mean… we will set course for Betelgeuse. Zelnick out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:37 pm

Captain’s Log – Mar 7, 2158 – Betelgeuse – Status: Green

We arrived at the Syreen Starbase and Commander Talana greeted us with news of their success over the Mycon. She reported that the Mycon fleet is in shambles, and one quick glance at the starmap shows how greatly their overall sphere of influence has severely diminished.

She told us of their glorious battle, including how they hid behind Organon’s moon and pounced on the Mycon when they were most vulnerable, having begun their birthing process they failed to leave the side of their spore pods and found themselves sitting ducks for the Penetrator fleet, which sliced them to ribbons. The Mycon were in such disarray that they even started running into their own plasmoids, and many Mycon are now serving aboard the Syreen fleet, their minds wiped clean of their desires to pursue the efforts of Juffo-Wup after a nice brainwashing. The Syreen’s methods may seem a bit extreme, but they’re very effective.

Our fanfare as being the main contributors to making their victory possible did not go unnoticed by the Syreen, and they welcomed me and company with open arms (literally) for some extended shore leave where the numerous (and I emphasize the word ‘numerous’) Syreen ran to offer their own personal gratitude by any (yes, any) means possible, and the manner in which they engulfed me and my crew looked almost like something out of one of those over-hyped deodorized body spray commercials! Good times.

(Just picture them as blue-skinned and you’ll get the general idea:)

Talana encouraged us to focus our attention on destroying the Ur-Quan, and now that they’ve effected their revenge upon the Mycon they’re happy to add the availability of Syreen Penetrators to our fleet once we make it back to Starbase, but she also reminded me that we still need to find their weak spot, and I’m thinking that defeating the Sa-Matra in battle might be the key to our victory.

She also placed much emphasis on her desire to remove the slave shield from their world, but she acknowledges the necessity of eliminating the Ur-Quan threat before that can become feasible, and I’ll need to send some of my log documentation over to her quarters (hand delivered myself, of course) so she can update her intelligence information, since she thought that the only other race who’s been encased in their own world is the Chenjesu.

Commander Talana already has the Syreen on a full round-the-clock schedule repairing the Penetrator fleet, as well as preparing the Starbase’s defenses, so if a Dreadnought decides to swing by for a quick fill-up, they’ll have a little surprise in store for them. Fortunately, the Ur-Quan seem to be more than occupied these days.

I also told Talana that we would be leaving soon, and I asked her if there was anything else that she needed to tell me (and on a personal note, she did mention that she is making plans for the future… plans which include me!) but she said there wasn’t anything else to inform me, but she admitted that it’s usually after I leave that she always seems to remember something else that she forgot to tell me.

So, we left the Starbase briefly, did a quick about-face, and returned back to the base. Commander Talana was still in a state of enjoyment from their recent victory over the Mycon when we returned (which I confess I found rather arousing as she writhed in ecstasy describing her euphoric sensations) and I calmly asked her if there anything new to report, and she suddenly remembered intercepting a concentration of broadcasts with a Hierarchy communication signature coming from the direction of the Horologium Constellation. Interesting. It could be something entirely different, but I’m betting this is still the activity we’ve heard repeatedly about in the Crateris Belt, since it falls in line between here (Betelgeuse) and the Horologii stars. We left one more time and returned, but Talana said there wasn’t anything new coming to mind, so I’m guessing she’s recalled everything she knows.

Before heading back to base, I’d like to check up on the Zoq-Fot-Pik and make sure another solo Marauder hasn’t blown up their planet! We will set course for Alpha Tucanae. Captain out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:10 pm

Captain’s Log – Mar 17, 2158 – Alpha Tucanae – Status: Green

We’ve made it to Alpha Tucanae in one piece, but our movement directly through the lower left side of Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah has disturbed the local residents, and they have converged on our position and are currently surrounding the system, waiting for us to leave.

Upon our arrival, we switched on the starmap grid sensors to examine the Ilwrath’s SOI, and it has definitely ceased moving further into Thraddash space, and it has also continued to shrink; it’s lost about a fourth of its size since their arrival in Draconis.

Not only that, but we have also monitored the Pkunk have begun their migration once again, and I’m pretty positive that we’ve ran out of excuses from preventing them from reaching the Yehat this time, and no telling what will happen if they show up during their civil war!

We will set course for the ZFP homeworld. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Mar 18, 2158 – Alpha Tucane I (Zoq-Fot-Pik Homeworld)

We have received some distressing news:

Zoq - “Our reconnaissance ships have returned once more—”
Pik – “With bad news!”
Zoq – “Based on what they have seen the Kohr-Ah will defeat the Ur-Quan in less than six months.”
Pik – “Bummer.”
Zoq – “And based on our last encounter with the Kohr-Ah we expect that when they win their war with the Ur-Quan, the Kohr-Ah will move through this entire region of space, destroying all intelligent life.”
Pik – “Major bummer!”

Yeah, major bummer indeed. We will return to Starbase. Captain out.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Uh oh. Ignore that advice at your own risk, and remember your Metachron prediction too.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:41 pm

Holy crow, he's really used that much time wandering around quintuple-checking everything WITHOUT rewinding past it? And IIRC, he still hasn't met the Utwig or Supox. Yikes!

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Well, he knows he sent the Ilwrath against the Thraddash, but he has also never met the Traddash. So he doesn't know which lovely creatures are now offered on the altars of the twin gods.
He will need to play a second time and start with these "quests" to find out all possibilities.

Heck, once he has explored the upper right corner of the map, he'll run out of time transporting devices back and forth to the starbase, just to have them analysed......
IFhe can even lay hands on them, after the Kohr-Ah win....

And isn't there a faster way from his beloved Talana to get to the ZFP?

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Admittedly starting to look more and more like this playthrough is headed for disaster. One Death March later, and well... you know how it is.

Really thought he had more time left than this. Wonder if he'll decide to go back to a way earlier save and do things quicker, or if he'll carry on and try to salvage the impending disaster. On the plus side, death march reactions. On the downside, all those poor first impressions sacrificed to the almighty Kronos.

I suppose we will find out, in time.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.