About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by Tormuse » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Hey there, I've been neglecting this thread for... over a year, it seems, :oops: but I wanted to let you know that I'm trying to catch up now. :) (My new job is slow enough that I have free time to read stuff at work; don't tell my boss) ;) I see you have the Utwig bomb and the Dnyarri and you've found the Sa-Matra. That means you're into endgame territory! :o (And I don't mean the Avengers) :P I'd better catch up fast if I'm gonna witness the exciting conclusion. :)

A few very belated comments on your past exploits...

Fun fact about fighting the Thraddash: They have 8 crew and also, the maximum number of point-defence laser systems you can have is 8. I once found it amusing to load my ship up with PDLs and use them to get insta-kills on the Thraddash. :D

Regarding the zombified Umgah not telling jokes, it's possible that those were cut in the version of the game you're playing, but I also wonder could it be because you talked to them before they got zombified? (If you've already heard their "normal" jokes, perhaps Zelnick doesn't get the option to ask them about their sense of humour)
Elestan wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:58 am
If you want to kill in one attack, drop the rear cannon, and add a third tracking system. If you do this, there will be a small zone in front of your ship where all five shots can hit a target, which is an instant-kill against any unshielded ship.
Not quite an insta-kill; 5 shots doing 6 damage each is 30 damage, and Kzer-Za/Khor-Ah ships each have 42 crew.
Elestan wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:58 am
I prefer two cannons and two tracking systems, devoting the freed slots to energy generation. This requires two volleys to kill larger ships, but has a much higher rate of fire, so it's more tolerant of chance misses.
Yeah, that would be my choice too. By all means, Trog, test your configuration to see how it works, but if you replace the rear and side cannons with Shiva furnaces, I think you'll find you recharge fast enough to get three volleys out very quickly and nothing (unshielded) in the game can stand up to that. (18 damage X 3 = 54 damage!)

EDIT: Still catching up; I'm sure I'll have more comments as I do. Back when you first got the Dnyarri, you visited the Arilou homeworld and expressed disappointment that they didn't say anything about it. This is very strange, because there actually is supposed to be new dialogue at that point.
Hey looky what we've got. The Talking Pet!

So you do, my clever child!
You must have obtained some sort of psionic nullifier, am I right?
What a fine weapon the Dnyarri will be against the Ur-Quan, your enemy.
But I warn you, beware!
You now possess one of the most powerful creatures in the history of your galaxy
and also one of the most evil... as you judge evil.
We warn you, do not believe anything the Dnyarri says.
It speaks only the lies it believes will convince you to set it free
and that you must NEVER do.
Stuff like this is what makes me a die-hard fan of the original game. Who knows how much dialogue you're missing out on, because they made strange choices of what to cut?

Elestan
Silly Supox

Post by Elestan » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:26 pm

Tormuse wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:43 pm
Not quite an insta-kill; 5 shots doing 6 damage each is 30 damage, and Kzer-Za/Khor-Ah ships each have 42 crew.
Right you are. Strange, I could have sworn I remembered one-shotting Ur-Quan in that configuration. Clearly, it's time for me to replay the game again.

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:46 pm

Elestan wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:26 pm
Right you are. Strange, I could have sworn I remembered one-shotting Ur-Quan in that configuration. Clearly, it's time for me to replay the game again.
Theoretically, if the Ur-Quan launched 12 fighters, that would leave them with 30 crew and you could one-shot them. Also, the game is totally worth a replay if you haven't played it in a while. :) I've replayed it a bunch of times over the years. Unlike Trog who has played once over the years. :P

EDIT: Still reading... up to the Utwig part. Sounds like you have the version with the whinier voice-acting. :) There are at least two versions of Utwig voice-acting that I know of. (Which I've only heard by watching LP videos) The one with the dark, deep, sombre-sounding voice fits better with what I would have imagined they sound like, but I feel like that one isn't emotive enough. The higher-pitched version of the voice may sound more irritating, but at least they put some energy into it. (And it makes it more believable when Zelnick snaps at them, accusing them of being a "bunch of cry-babies") :)

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:56 pm

The whiny Utwig voice is the official one from the 3DO release. This was a serious point of contention back years ago, to the point where you got that somber version, which is (I would assume, at least least I did) what all the folks who originally played the DOS version imagined they sounded like. That is a fan rerecording of the lines for a mod, and unrelated to any official release of the game.

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:47 pm

Huh, this might just be ignorance on my part, but I was under the impression that all the voice-acting in the 3DO release was fan recordings. How "official" is the official release? (Though I see in the credits that Paul Reiche III himself did the voices of the Mycon and the Dnyarri)

Also, fun bit of trivia: (Since I'm still catching up) I believe the Wimbli's Trident is an Easter Egg that's a reference to a magical item from the game, "The Horde," which was made by a company called, "Toys for Bob," which Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford also worked on. (Fun little game, by the way) :)

EDIT:
krulle wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:10 am
Well, the Kohr-Ah are set to annihilate all intelligent, non-Ur-Quan races.
Guess what, the Kohr-Ah actor found the word "annihilate" to have a negative ring to it (making it sound like genocide), so the game text got changed to "cleansing the filth" and "we cleanse" as far as possible, just like the Germans (my ancestors) spoke of "cleaning/protecting their arian blood", and the Church of "cleansing the impure".
Uh... I think this is more of Krulle's usual nonsense. (No offence, Krulle) :P The original game didn't have any voice-actors and the Kohr-Ah have always talked about "cleansing" across all versions. (As far as I know) Also, they never use the word "annihilate" at any point in the game. (I checked) That whole thing with fumbling the spelling of "annihilate" is not in the SC2 canon.
The Troglodyte wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:30 am
ooc: Any guesses as to where is my next destination?
The Troglodyte wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:56 am
But you still haven’t answered the question. No takers? I’ll give everybody a hint (as if I haven’t dropped one already, snicker snicker) Let’s just say that I went to my presumed destination but I was wrong. Last chance! This one is for all the marbles!!
I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone following this thread when I say we all know where you're supposed to go, but we're reluctant to answer your question, because we're not sure if you've figured it out, so it might be spoilers.

EDIT2: PS I'm all caught up now! :D Let's prepare popcorn for the final confrontation. :)

krulle
Ilwrath torturer

Post by krulle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:01 am

I'm not offended.
Like most I speak two languages really well, my mother tongue, and rubbish.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 am

Tormuse wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:47 pm
Uh... I think this is more of Krulle's usual nonsense. (No offence, Krulle) :P The original game didn't have any voice-actors and the Kohr-Ah have always talked about "cleansing" across all versions. (As far as I know) Also, they never use the word "annihilate" at any point in the game. (I checked) That whole thing with fumbling the spelling of "annihilate" is not in the SC2 canon.

That came from the endgame credits here -
Youtube -> watch?v=WJK_oB6Wm8U @8:40

BTW, anyone still remembers Zarla? She used to be a very active member here...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:46 pm

*Sigh* ^ Spoiler tags, please?
Tormuse wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:47 pm
Huh, this might just be ignorance on my part, but I was under the impression that all the voice-acting in the 3DO release was fan recordings. How "official" is the official release? (Though I see in the credits that Paul Reiche III himself did the voices of the Mycon and the Dnyarri)
It's an official product. The 3DO version was released a year or two after the DOS version, by TFB and Accolade. They didn't exactly hire professional voice talent (hence why most of the voices are provided by staff that also worked on the game in other capacities), but it's definitely not fan recordings.
Also, fun bit of trivia: (Since I'm still catching up) I believe the Wimbli's Trident is an Easter Egg that's a reference to a magical item from the game, "The Horde," which was made by a company called, "Toys for Bob," which Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford also worked on. (Fun little game, by the way) :)
You've got that backwards. The Horde was released several years after SC2, so Wimbli's Trident is actually an easter egg reference to SC2, not the other way around. And TFB is Paul and Fred's company, so The Horde is one of their games as well, though I'm not sure what year they actually started using that name (since I don't believe it's anywhere to be found in the DOS release of SC2 that I can recall).

Borgie
Hunam adventurer

Post by Borgie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Draxas wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:46 pm
You've got that backwards. The Horde was released several years after SC2, so Wimbli's Trident is actually an easter egg reference to SC2, not the other way around. And TFB is Paul and Fred's company, so The Horde is one of their games as well, though I'm not sure what year they actually started using that name (since I don't believe it's anywhere to be found in the DOS release of SC2 that I can recall).
I swear this exact thing came up in an interview with P&F, but for the life of me I cannot recall which one or when it was. I could also be mistaken.

But to confirm Draxas's comment, there's an entry in the Ultronomicon: https://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Wimbli%27s_Trident.

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:22 pm

Alvarin wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 am
That came from the endgame credits here -
Youtube -> watch?v=WJK_oB6Wm8U @8:40
Oh, I know where the joke came from. I was just trying to reassure Trog that it wasn't because he missed something.

And regarding TFB stuff: Cool, I learned something new today. :)

Also, one other thing: I probably shouldn't say this, because I shouldn't slow Trog down when he's approaching the endgame... but I know he'll appreciate it, so I'm gonna say it. When the Druuge promised to "fill up your fuel tanks for no extra charge," I'm surprised you didn't try time portalling back and returning to them with 16 empty high-efficiency fuel systems. :D