About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:18 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Nov 4, 2157 – HyperSpace {258.5 : 850.8} (Just outside Delta Draconis) – Red Alert

We left Alpha Apodis, but before we could activate the Portal Spawner to enter QuasiSpace and return home, some Thraddash outside the system converged on our position, and they were none too happy.

They scanned our ship and detected the presence of their Aqua Helix, and needless to say… they were enraged. They had a wide variety of names to call us, including pigs, weasels and other various animals, but the title that hurt the most was ‘Thief’. I feel kind of bad about taking their precious, historical item; it seems so important to them. They also thanked us for showing them the weakness in themselves, since in hindsight they never should’ve left the Aqua Helix planet unguarded.

Perhaps there’s some way to convince them that we only wish to “borrow” the device because it may become crucial to saving them and quite possibly all life in the galaxy! But how?

Their homeworld is very close, so we’ll return to Delta Draconis, but unfortunately, we need to snuff these Torches first. Battle Stations. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Nov 6, 2157 – Delta Draconis (Near Planet 1) – Red Alert

We are heading for the edge of the system at maximum speed… with a long trail of Thraddash Torches chasing us! Yikes!

We arrived in Delta Draconis and detected several patrols scattered throughout the system, so we moved towards the closest one with a giant flag of truce hanging out the Vindicator’s window, but it had no effect.

They are definitely very mad at us, and they told us as much, in fact they’re basically raving-lunatic mad, and they forced us to defend ourselves, and we destroyed the contingent of 3 Torches.

The other Thraddash ships in the area began swarming all around us like angry bumblebees, and we tried our best to dodge them as we made our way towards the homeworld, but we ran into a squadron of 4, and after they transmitted basically a facsimile of the previous one, we destroyed their ships and made for the homeworld.

However, when we got there they had the same message, and we used the emergency warp to escape, but we ran into some more as we left the far outside range of the Thraddash’s home planet, and the message was still exactly identical! It’s like these guys are stuck in repeat mode. “If Pete and Repeat are in a boat and Pete falls out, who’s left?”

It doesn’t look like we’ll be getting through to Thraddash anytime soon. The only thing left to monitor is the results of the Thraddash Vs. Kohr-Ah match-up, so we might as well grab a chair and watch the fireworks. We are approaching the edge of the system. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:23 pm

The Thief! wrote: “If Pete and Repeat are in a boat and Pete falls out, who’s left?”
Repeat.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:27 pm

krulle wrote:
The Thief! wrote: “If Pete and Repeat are in a boat and Pete falls out, who’s left?”
Repeat.
Ahem! I said, “If Pete and Repeat are in a boat and Pete falls out, who’s left?” :lol:
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Ahem! I said: Repeat!

;)

Anyway..... You gave me another badge idea for the badge thread over at UQM....

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:24 pm

krulle wrote:Ahem! I said: Repeat!
Yeah, and again I say, “If Pete and Repeat are in a boat--” …Uh, we should probably stop before Death comes in here and whoops our milk-posting butts! :P

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:41 pm

I'm using my marginally on-topic ramblings here to push my post counter... :p

Did you even note the name of whom I quoted?

Again :P

Anyway, have a wonderful weekend!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:48 pm

krulle wrote:Did you even note the name of whom I quoted?

Hey! I don’t think I like the idea of becoming dubbed “The Thief”! :twisted:
I’m definitely going to have to rethink my actions and figure out how to get the Aqua Helix from the Thraddash without getting caught in the act!
Hmmm… and maybe I could put it back before they notice it missing after I’m done borrowing it?
krulle wrote:Anyway, have a wonderful weekend!
You too buddy!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:39 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Nov 19, 2157 – Alpha Tauri – Yellow Alert

We activated the Portal Spawner after our hasty departure from Delta Draconis, considering there was a massive wave of Torches hunting us down to seek revenge and retribution for our theft of their ancient Aqua Helix relic, and we entered QuasiSpace before the angry Thraddash awaiting outside the system could arrive.

However, instead of heading directly for home, I accidentally laid in the coordinates for the nearest portal and the helm obeyed without question (Screech never likes to be publicly reprimanded, even though I have found it necessary in the past to scold our Pkunk helmsman for his occasional outbursts and constant gushy spewing of emotion) and we suddenly found ourselves deep within Ilwrath space. Yikes!

I realized we could’ve re-activated the Quasi Portal Spawner and made the simple correction to return home, but since we weren’t in any immediate danger, I decided we could head up to Alpha Tauri and try the Dogar and Kazon impersonation trick and see if the Ilwrath would still respond accordingly, or would they have a different response since most of the Thraddash were still inside Ur-Quan space. Besides, heading back to Starbase at this time is practically pointless, since I already have heard the Aqua Helix analysis already, and it didn’t reveal very much about the artifact.

Speaking of the Thraddash, they appear to be limping back home after getting thoroughly diminished by the Kohr-Ah, and in fact their sphere of influence is only slightly larger than the Zoq-Fot-Pik’s, which isn’t saying much.

Back to our current situation, we have spent almost two full weeks in HyperSpace, flying through hostile Ilwrath space until we made it here to the Alpha Tauri System, although we’ve learned it’s only dangerous flying through their space when scouting out ahead, versus every Avenger in the rear-view mirror, since they basically have zero chance of catching up.

There is a contingent of Ilwraths hovering around each of the large gas planets in far orbit of their home star, and as usual, they haven’t detected our presence, so we should be safe enough while we retry the manipulation of the Ilwrath. Prepare to activate the Umgah ’Caster! Captain out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

We used the ‘Caster to get their attention, and they responded attentively, but we skipped the usual fun and games of messing with the Ilwrath’s speech patterns or renaming them the “Dill Rats” or whatnot and proceeded directly to directing them to proceed to seek new prey; that of course being the Thraddash, and they replied just as before.

So, the Thraddash are all upset and don’t want to talk to us, huh? Perhaps they’ll change their minds when they realize that their decimated fleet is about to come literally under fire by the Ilwrath! I mean, I’ve been looking for alternatives to all the Thraddash and Ilwrath killing each other to genocidal levels, but I do believe in the Thraddash’s current state they won’t stand a chance against the Avenger armada! I wouldn’t exactly call that a trade-up!

I’ve estimated that if we used the portal again to return to Thraddash space, they will likely have had sufficient time to resettle back home. Will they be willing to talk this time, or are they still stuck in broken record player mode? We’ll see. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Nov 30, 2157 – Delta Draconis – Yellow Alert

I’m still not getting through to them… this seems hopeless. We encountered a large squadron of 5 Thraddash Torches and were met with the same redundant response, and then we thrashed them by sitting back and waiting for them to approach the Vindicator before we blasted them once they entered weapons’ range.

After the battle, we checked the starmap but the Thraddash SOI seemed like it still had a few more sectors to move before it would arrive centered around their homeworld, so we continued towards Delta Draconis, by which time the Thraddash circle had officially ceased moving, so we approached a nearby patrol group and crossed our fingers, but no such luck -- it’s still pretty much the same old “Ahoy stupid human!” greeting.

Yeah, I think we’re done with this particular phase of the Thraddash culture investigation experiment. There’s really no point and watching the bloodbath that would likely occur if we sat back and waited for the Ilwrath to arrive here, so I’ll explore the time portal tables and determine which juncture is best to jump to next. Captain out.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:20 pm

And another dead end in your explorations of time.
Handy that device....
Pity I used it so poorly back when.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Captain’s Log – Oct 18, 2157 – Delta Draconis – Yellow Alert

Well, we’re back here once again in Delta Draconis, and it’s also October 18th again, so that means the Thraddash haven’t met us yet. It’s weird… I’m actually starting to get used to this -- I mean, besides arriving and feeling the effects of the same breakfast I’ve had this morning on 3 separate occasions, even though I only ate it once… and I can’t even remember what it was!

So, we’ve seen the results of siccing the Ilwrath on the Thraddash, and that wasn’t pretty. We’ve also seen what happens when we send them on a Kohr-Ah blitzkrieg, and that’s none too fun either, especially for the Thraddash, and trust me I know, since I asked them:

After I realized that the Thraddash instantaneously became our most mortal enemies the moment we steal their Aqua Helix from them, so after carefully studying the proper time jump point, I went back to the time after we sent them to attack the Kohr-Ah but before we had stolen their sacred artifact, and we monitored their return back to their own space, with little left of their fleet intact I might add.

They of course still wanted to fight us, but they let their guard down long enough to share their experiences from within the Ur-Quan’s and Kohr-Ah’s ritual battle. They told us that the battle was glorious but brutal, and a great deal of their ships have been destroyed during the brief war campaign.

Surprisingly, the Dreadnoughts also contributed to an estimated 40% of their casualties; it would seem the Ur-Quan aren’t too keen on anybody, even their own battle thralls, interfering with their doctrinal war, but the Thraddash are still convinced that the Ur-Quan must’ve been impressed by their afterburner modifications, since it was more difficult and cumbersome for them to destroy their ships.

We inquired about any details they could give us on the Kohr-Ah’s Marauder-type vessel, and the Thraddash clearly underestimated the its weaponry, because at first, they thought the spinning blades shot at them seemed primitive by comparison to most energy-based projectiles, but they soon learned the level of destruction delivered via kinetic energy the discs can exert once in direct contact with a Torch. Then, if that wasn’t bad enough, once they actually were in range to use their own blasters, the Marauders unleashed their own rendition of that old classic by Johnny Cash (“Ring of Fire” by the way) which laid waste to their Torches in bunches.

Of course, following that up it was then time for the Thraddash to commence the lesson of the day, forcing us to destroy them. Funny, and they had just finished laughing at us and describing how puny and un-battle worthy we are. These guys never learn, but I suppose it’s also fair to say I’ve erased some of their prior learning experiences.

So, considering I didn’t want to continue on since my conscience would probably tug at me for the duration, knowing that I was the cause for such death and destruction amongst the Thraddash race (and even if they are bunch of pig-headed brutes!) so I have reverted the timeline. If it comes down to some kind of necessity to send the Thraddash to help us somehow in aiding in the Kohr-Ah’s destruction, I can always tell them it’s time to show off their afterburners!

But for now, we’re starting afresh, and I’m going to see what we can learn without mentioning their afterburner upgrades. It’s a good thing they never come up with that idea themselves (don’t tell them that though, since when I originally made the suggestion, their captain claimed it was HIS idea!)

We will set an intercept course for the nearest Thraddash group. Red Alert, it’s lesson time… for the Thraddash! Captain out.