About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by Tormuse » Mon May 21, 2018 1:30 am

This is kind of funny to me... I've fallen way behind in reading through this thread, so I don't know what's been happening... The last part I'm caught up with is from February 22, 2018, when you had just sent the Ilwrath at the Thraddash, three real-time months and 9 forum pages ago, but it seems the Thraddash are still kicking around, so it looks like very little in-game time has passed! :o

Well, to be fair, I see that you have a Terminator and Penetrator in your fleet, which you didn't have access to before, so I suppose you weren't totally resting on your laurels, but I sure hope you didn't spend all that time with mining missions or something like that. :P

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue May 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Tormuse wrote:This is kind of funny to me... I've fallen way behind in reading through this thread, so I don't know what's been happening... The last part I'm caught up with is from February 22, 2018, when you had just sent the Ilwrath at the Thraddash, three real-time months and 9 forum pages ago, but it seems the Thraddash are still kicking around, so it looks like very little in-game time has passed! :o […] :P
Well, Tormuse, the answer is very simple… I’ve been busy! As you’ve already seen before, whenever I’ve encountered something that could be studied by the passage of time, I’ve usually implemented the “cryogenic stasis strategy” by parking my ship somewhere and observing the events unfold around me by studying the starmap every so often, but this time around I decided to continue the mission to at the very least see what more I could learn, but with the added benefit of being able to construct Avatars in the Starbase shipyard.

To briefly recount what I’ve done since you last stopped by (even though it’s a lot more fun to read it for yourself! ;) ) I have prompted the Yehat Revolution by presenting them a Shofixti, plus I stuck around and fought some loyalists and eventually recruited a rebel Yehat ship into my fleet. After that, I dropped in on the Mycon to see if there was anything new to learn after they returned to Beta Brahe after the Syreen ambushed them at Organon, but the Mycon had nothing important new to disclose. Speaking of the Syreen, Talana agreed to help us in our cause, and we can build Penetrator-type starships at base. Afterwards, I went up to the ZFP and they informed us that the Kohr-Ah would most likely defeat the Ur-Quan within 6 months, at which time they’d take a nice stroll throughout this region of the galaxy, destroying all life they encounter along the way. We set out to track down the Sa-Matra, and after some grueling (and exciting to read) battles, we found its location in Delta Crateris, but besides that piece of knowledge there was little else to accomplish, due to the endless wall of Dreadnoughts. Now we’re in Draconis, trying to figure out if there’s a way to save the Thraddash (or even the Ilwrath) but so far I’m coming up empty, so we’re exploring a little while longer before heading back home, and possibly alter the timeline.

(Meanwhile…)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – May 28, 2158 – Zeta Draconis – Status: Green

We left the Delta Draconis System, but before we could get on our way, we were detained a few times by 3 Thraddash Torches, followed by a squadron of 4 Avengers, and finally, a solo Torch, all of which pouted out the same resentment of us getting in their respective ways of killing each other.

We made clear after the groups returned to their fighting and we could get underway, and several days later we made it here to this star system. Zeta Draconis is an orange dwarf star with 8 planets:

Planet 1 – Medium Green (cool zone) (partially obscured)
Planet 2 – Purple Gas Giant
Planet 3 – Small Red
Planet 4 – Small Green
Planet 5 – Red Gas Giant
Planet 6 – Small Yellow
Planet 7 – Cyan Gas Giant
Planet 8 – Red Gas Giant

The innermost planet is obscured only slightly from our sensors, but, if the pattern of predictability holds, I’m thinking our best bet is to forgo the other planets for the meantime and head immediately for it and see if that is where the Thraddash may be holding their Aqua Helix, since I doubt they had time to move it to a different location, but I suppose you never know. However, the Melnorme made it pretty clear there is something there:

Melnorme (Master Something or other) – [The Thraddash] guard some kind of sacred relic at the star system Zeta Draconis, though we do not know the true nature of this artifact.”

But after cross-referencing another separate transmission, we can deduce this artifact must be the Aqua Helix in question:

Melnorme (different Master Colorish) – “Our information indicates that you can find these items in three different places: a Rosy Sphere at the Druuge trade world, an Aqua Helix somewhere in Thraddash space, and a Clear Spindle, which is currently in the possession of the Pkunk.” (also, the mentioning of the Clear Spindle was false, since I already it my possession at the time)

But if you really wanted undeniable proof that the Aqua Helix must be here, just listen to the wise words of the Pkunk:

Pkunk (after convincing them to turn around) – “Back to the Clear Spindle business, we have had another telepathic revelation regarding this. This time, an old and venerable Pkunk named Awkky Birdy has had a dream sent to him by his spirit guide, Bosco. In the dream, Awkky Birdy is surrounded by a sea of young Pkunk Females who all want nothing more than to mate with him, in a passionate ceremony of Blissful Yompin. Awkky Birdy is overcome. He hesitates, and the females rush forward and swarm over him. Uh… the Clear Spindle, yes I am coming to that. Just as he is about to pass out, Awkky Birdy sees a Clear Spindle, and a blue twisty thing, all spinning about each other above his head. In a fit of ecstasy he screams out the word, ‘DRACONIS!!!!’ and then the lights dim, and with a smile on his face Awkky Birdy sleeps. Quite a dream, eh?”

We will set course for the 1st planet. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – May 29, 2158 – Zeta Draconis I

We have entered orbit a Primordial World with class 4 weather, class 7 tectonics, 9 common minerals and 7 base metals. But perhaps the most important thing of note is that there is something coming up on energy scans! That has got to be the Aqua Helix!

We are sending down a Lander right away! Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

(cont’d)

FROM WHAT WE HAVE SEEN, WE HAVE LEARNED
THAT THE THRADDASH HAVE RISEN TO
STAR-FARING TECHNOLOGY AT LEAST THREE
SEPARATE TIMES, ONLY TO NUKE THEMSELVES
BACK INTO THE STONE AGE AGAIN AND AGAIN.
THE REAL SURPRISE, CAPTAIN WAS WHAT WE
FOUND INSIDE THE SHRINE!

WE KNEW THE THRADDASH KEPT SOMETHING
DOWN HERE, BUT WE DIDN’T KNOW WHAT IT
WAS UNTIL WE WENT INSIDE THE SHRINE. IN
THE EXACT MIDDLE OF THE STRUCTURE WAS A
TALL DAIS OF WHITE STONE. SET ATOP THIS
DAIS WAS AN IMMENSE AQUA GEMSTONE,
SOMEHOW SHAPED INTO A FLAT TWISTED
RIBBON, LIKE A DNA HELIX.

THE AQUA HELIX EMITTED INCREDIBLE LIGHT
PULSES, ILLUMINATING THE CAVERNOUS
SHRINE LIKE A GIANT STROBE LIGHT, AT
LEAST IT DID…

…UNTIL PRIVATE HENDRYX DECIDED TO SEE
WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF HE GRABBED THE
ARTIFACT. THE HELIX IMMEDIATELY CEASED
GLOWING, AND HAS REMAINED QUIESCENT EVER
SINCE.

WE WILL BRING THE AQUA HELIX BACK ABOARD
THE SHIP FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

---- END OF REPORT ----

At least this explains a little more about their whole “19 Cultures” thing going on. These guys seem to have some trouble playing well with others. Heck! They can’t even play nice with each other! Anyway, I’d like to see what the science teams back at Starbase can tell me about our new device.

We will set course for Starbase. Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue May 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Nice. I have never dealt with the Thraddash this way in any of my playthroughs.

I always knew this method was theoretically possible, but always went the more straightforward slaughter-befriend-rob blind approach. I always thought you had to wait for the mutual extermination to finish before the Helix was unguarded.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Tue May 22, 2018 7:35 pm

Yeah.
The Thraddash are very interesting in that regard...
But since right now you're always asked to leave the fighting area, you've missed out on quite some interesting tidbits of information about their cultures, and how they regard previous cultures and their achievements...

Not that it matters now you got the Aqua Helix.... Check your box, think about where to go next, and whether the time you have available will suffice for the trips....

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed May 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Draxas wrote:Nice. I have never dealt with the Thraddash this way in any of my playthroughs.
I’ve always kind of hoped while going through this possibly one of if not THE single most thorough of playthroughs that ocassional little new tidbits would be revealed to even the seasoned player, providing some interesting new perspective. Very cool! 8)-smf
krulle wrote:Yeah.
The Thraddash are very interesting in that regard...
But since right now you're always asked to leave the fighting area, you've missed out on quite some interesting tidbits of information about their cultures, and how they regard previous cultures and their achievements...
Indeed, which is always why I’ve maintained that reverting time to before the slaughter fest was unleashed may prove to be necessary -- something of which I believe more adamantly now than ever before.
krulle wrote:Not that it matters now you got the Aqua Helix.... Check your box, think about where to go next, and whether the time you have available will suffice for the trips....
Yep! Going from my records, I’m pretty certain the only thing I’m lacking is the Rosy Sphere from the Druuge, and of course the Ultron itself, which I assume is lacking the materials I’m trying to obtain.

I wanted to test if it were possible to procure the Aqua Helix, and it certainly was much easier than I thought, but I have noticed that alien ships don’t venture far beyond their sphere of influence, so I figured it was worth a shot, and it paid off. I still believe there must be another (perhaps more humane) way to go about getting the necessary blue twisty thing, but at least I know now that I can always come back to the genocide option; let’s just hope it doesn’t come to that.

(Meanwhile…)
Captain’s Log – Jun 4, 2157 – Starbase – Status: Docked

Here is what we’ve learned… or rather, what we haven’t learned:

Commander Hayes – “The analysis reads as follows:
SUBJECT: Aqua Helix Device.
DATA: This device is composed of a light blue,
super-hard substance which rates Mohs-13.
the object is composed of a flat ribbon of
homogenous material approximately 1 meter in length…
..and it is twisted in a perfect helix.
Focused ion and nucleo-magnetic scans reveal little
about its interior.
SUMMARY: Unknown design. Unknown origin. Unknown
function.
That’s the end of our scientists’ report.”

Well, that didn’t really explain anything. Our own science officer was able to rate the substance at Mohs-13. Heck! A third-grader could’ve given it a Mohs-13 rating! We have a focused ion scanner and also a nucleo-magnetic scanner aboard the Vindicator (and I think every ship in the fleet does for that matter!) so we already knew the interior was virtually unscannable. And it’s not a meter in length; it’s 1 meter 3 centimeters thank you very much! Sheesh! Oh well.

While we were heading back via QuasiSpace, I suddenly realized that we haven’t paid the Arilou a visit in a while, but of course I was already dead set on bringing us back to base so we could evaluate the Aqua Helix, but now with that out of the way, and with the Thraddash and Ilwrath stuff still transpiring, we have ample time to return and see how our Ariloulaleelay “friends” are doing.

We will set course for Fala… Falafala… yeah, whatever their stinkin’ homeworld is called, that’s where we’re heading! Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed May 23, 2018 7:52 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:We will set course for Fala… Falafala… yeah, whatever their stinkin’ homeworld is called, that’s where we’re heading! Captain out.
That would be Falayalaralfali, captain. Though you are no doubt one of the more clever children of the Arilou, I would still ask that you be wary of discorporation on your journey back to the safety of this most isolated of worlds.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed May 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Quasispatial wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:We will set course for Fala… Falafala… yeah, whatever their stinkin’ homeworld is called, that’s where we’re heading! Captain out.
That would be Falayalaralfali, captain. Though you are no doubt one of the more clever children of the Arilou, I would still ask that you be wary of discorporation on your journey back to the safety of this most isolated of worlds.
Right! Due to the many complexities of the Ailou language, and for some reason that I can’t fathom at present, many of their words when translated into our human language become very large and difficult to pronounce. Have you ever tried using ‘antidisestablishmentarianism’ in a complete sentence? Because I haven’t. Well, I suppose the previous sentence invalidates my subsequent comment.

Anyways, in an attempt to prepare myself, I’m practicing tongue twisters so I won’t make an ass of myself in front of the Arilou leaders:

Theophilus, the thistle sifter, while sifting through thistles, thust three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb!
Moses supposes his toeses are roses but Moses supposes eroniously!
Make a proper cup of coffee in a copper coffer cup!

Now I’ll try it with marbles in my mouth:

Feofifush, da fiffle fifter, wy fifting froo fiffles, frust free fousand fiffles froo da fick of fis fum!

Ptui! (spits marbles out) There! Enough of that! Hopefully the Arilou will be impressed!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri May 25, 2018 5:06 pm

Captain’s Log – Jul 7, 2158 – Delta Draconis I (Thraddash Homeworld)

We arrived in Draco and were still on our way toward delta Draconis, but I noticed that even being within this region of space we still were not receiving any evidence of any spacefaring life in the area, so I ordered us to halt just before we entered the star system, and we sat outside of it for several days, seeing if anything would come up on sensors, but nothing ever did, and no one ever showed up, neither Thraddash nor Ilwrath, so we proceeded and entered Delta Draconis and headed immediately for the Thraddash homeworld.

We scanned the surface, and we are detecting multiple energy readings for a total of 10 objects on the surface floor. There is also base metals and 10 biological lifeforms, but there is also class 4 weather and class 3 tectonics.

We will send down the Lander to investigate. Zelnick out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

As I feared, the worst has come to pass:

The only thing down there to greet us was a bunch of large blue slugs. Damn.

I suppose we should head back now. Captain out.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Fri May 25, 2018 6:12 pm

So, I assume the SOI for the Thraddash has been eliminated?

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Oh crap! I thought I had already included my trip to the Arilou homeworld. What’s worse, is I believe I accidentally copied over my previous log entry, because now I can’t find it! Big blunder on my part.

Oh well, basically here’s what went down:

I travelled to the Arilou homeworld, but all they did was ask us if we were feeling numbness yet, but since we weren’t, we had nothing else to say but ‘Goodbye.’

I had barely just enough time to make it to the natural center portal that put us in Circinus in the Arilou SOI. I viewed the starmap and noticed that both the Thraddash and Ilwrath were gone! After some very heartfelt lamentations of this tragedy, we set course for Delta Draconis. Sorry for the confusion!