Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 122  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:08 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

That's just a matter of chemistry. We could do something that looked a bit like that if we really wanted to. Heck, it's CALLED a flamethrower, but it might really just be a spray of hot particles that lose their heat quickly. I see no evidence of ongoing combustion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:42 pm 
Orz *camper*

The Troglodyte wrote:
...as inferred by the Melnorme...

*Twitch* I think you mean "implied..."

(Sorry, I tried, but I decided that I couldn't let it pass) :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:31 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Nov 24, 2157 - Procyon – Yellow Alert

We’ve arrived in the Procyon system after escaping the Ilwrath homeworld. We used the emergency warp-out device to put some distance between us and their vast numbers, but they kept coming like a scattered cluster of marching “granddaddy long-legs”, many of which came from the homeworld and others from elsewhere within the system, and there was an all out pursuit of us and our fleet, so we then tried to use the Umgah ’Caster to distract them, but although they acknowledged Dogar and Kazon and demonstrated the desire to succumb to our every whim, it seemed inappropriate to command them, “Hey! Stop chasing those Earthlings and find some Thraddash to kill instead!” Yeah, probably a smart move, lest the Ilwrath see right through our ploy.

We had to blast our way through the line of Avengers before making our exit from the system. Our long-range sensors monitored the Alpha Tauri for the next day and a half while the star was still in detectable range, but no Ilwrath ever left the system to give chase -- not that any of them would’ve been able to catch up anyway.

Upon arriving in the system, we brought up the starmap and have already noticed significant movement in the Ilwrath’s sphere of influence as they embark on their long journey towards Draconis. My God!… What have I done? On a separate note, most of the Pkunk are settling back into Gamma Krueger, and meanwhile the Mycon are almost completely diminished after getting ripped apart in Organon by the Syreen ambush fleet.

We have also not detected any Ilwrath Avengers in the system, which is a good sign, so hopefully that means they’ve all received word to leave the Chenjesu-Mmrnmhrm slave-shielded world and join the others in their most unholy of jihads, but because we won’t know that for sure until we actually arrive at Procyon II, we will remain at high alert.

We have set course for Procyon II. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

The Troglodyte wrote:
most unholy of jihads

Oh, I'd say their jihad is most definitely holy. It just so happens to be that 'holy' actions for the followers of the Dark Twins generally involves things like these. It's just unholy from our point of view; most certainly not from theirs, or they wouldn't be doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log - Nov 25, 2157 - Procyon II – Status: Green

We entered orbit and were very glad we weren’t confronted by any Ilwrath as the view of the Chen/Mmrn homeworld was displayed on our viewscreen.

I immediately ordered for the Sun Device to be brought up to the bridge, and upon its arrival I had the chief engineer activate the strange artifact, and the entire bridge crew, including myself, quickly grabbed our sunglasses as the chief pulled the switch on the device.

Just like when we had previously tested the solar unit, an immense light emitted and our eye shields were shown to be ineffectual, and we therefore had to use our hands to shield our faces (or whatever physical appendage applied: the Pkunk, Spathi and Orz used their respective wings, claws, or fins, while the Zoq wrapped their tendrils around their upper section, the Pik clenched their springs and closed their blowholes tightly, while the Fot has no visible working appendages, so had few options other than closing their singular eyelid) as the intensity of the bright light filled sky and space.

As soon as the flash had subsided, the Chmmr were suddenly on the screen and the orangish red glare of the slave shield had vanished, as though the emergence and accelerated evolution of the two-melding species into one had dissolved and melted away the Ur-Quan tech like a snail engulfed in salt, or like one of those weird gel bath ball thingies that you put in your tub and it makes the hot water all oily and sudsy, which moisturizes your skin… not that I use those or anything! (or every poured salt on a slug, ahem)

We could clearly see them now, but it was unclear at first which entity was the actual one speaking to us, and I think at first I was addressing the bluish crystalline structure tipped with small orbs. Oops! Their presence was very striking, a very clean combination of bright looking structure that looked like metallic concrete with various mechanisms moving up and down, and the whole scene reminded me of Superman’s Fortress of Solitude, which was accompanied with the occasional crackling of electricity that permeated from the crystal structure on the left, which I believe to be the actual Chmmr, and though it may be apophenia on my part, the closer I examined them, the more they appeared to have subtle facial features imbedded in their crystal body… but I’m convinced it’s got to be a case of pareidolia.

“WE ARE FREE!”, they exclaimed, acknowledging that the Sun Device we used flooded them with such an abundance of radiant energy that their transformation, which was supposed to take several decades, has now been accomplished in mere seconds, even though their full potential was not achieved due to our little, er… shortcut.

They soon realized that we are hell-bent on stopping the Ur-Quan, but it’s really the black ones, the Kohr-Ah, that I’m really concerned about. Sure, it’s true that they could sit there and be content, waiting patiently while crystal and machinery takes around thirty years or so to become one, but by that time, especially if the Kohr-Ah win (and we all know I’ve been getting numerous reports that everything is pointing in that direction), then all life in this section of the galaxy might get snuffed out completely, and not even any of the slave-shielded worlds would be spared, including Earth, Spathiwa, Gaia, or even Procyon II.

They placed a lot of emphasis on how vital it is that we destroy the Ur-Quan’s Sa-Matra, a Precursor battle platform that was briefly unleashed on their own fleet before they were forced to surrender under its massive power. They needed to find out what we already know, so they scanned our ship’s logs and databanks, and have determined we still have much to do before taking on the Sa-Matra, including finding the darn thing, finding some way to distract it, and finding some way to blow it up. Sounds simple enough… Right?

We already have a good idea of where to go hunting for “Red October”, but that would also mean travelling into the heart of Ur-Quan territory; both Ur-Quans. We also have already heard about where we might find a matter-antimatter bomb, since the Utwig supposedly have one in their possession (similar to the one detonated in Delta Gorno by the Shofixti to take out a fleet of Dreadnoughts) but who knows what we’ll actually find whenever we venture out to that far side of space. The real question is what can we find to distract them long enough to use the bomb on their crazy battleship. They shared with us a vital clue as to where we might find just that:

Chmmr – “IN OUR STUDIES WE HAVE LEARNED THAT THE UR-QUAN ARE ESPECIALLY SENSITIVE TO PSYCHIC MANIPULATION.
YOUR BEST STRATEGY WOULD BE TO FIND A WEAPON OF THIS TYPE.
BE AWARE THAT MOST PSYCHIC WEAPONS ARE NOT MECHANICAL CONSTRUCTS.
THEY ARE USUALLY INTELLIGENT LIFE FORMS, OFTEN INIMICAL.”

The Dnyarri! Yes, of course! I had already suspected that the Dnyarri would be a likely candidate for what we would need to obtain, since we’ve heard plenty of the stories of how the Dnyarri used their psychic manipulation of the Ur-Quan from the Melnorme, as well as from the Ur-Quan themselves. But in the end, it was the Dnyarri who were ultimately defeated and were subsequently turned into mindless translators… their “Talking Pets”. But that would basically mean that there are no Dnyarri left!!

There is still one other possibility though, that being the talking pet that the Arilou had discovered from the downed Ur-Quan Dreadnought on Alpha Pavonis VII and took over to the Umgah to see if they could help it. I’ve already visited the Umgah before, and even found their homeworld in Beta Orionis, but they weren’t exactly cooperative, and from what I can tell they’ve probably been conducting some kind of experiments on the thing, possibly trying to figure out what makes it tick. It has been some time since that encounter, so perhaps I may have to return to Umgah space at some point, just as the Arilou have suggested, and check in on their progress. On a related note, thankfully, when we do find such a creature, hopefully our Taalo Shield will protect us from its psychic powers of mind control.

We asked them for further assistance, and although they couldn’t give us minerals resources or things of that nature, they decided they could give us their new ship designs, but because of the way everything was sent into fast-forward in their rapid technological progression, they still hadn’t come up with a name, so I told them to take some pics and draw up some sketches and “Send us the avatars.” They must’ve thought I was giving them a ship name idea and went with it, because incidentally the new name for the Chmmr ship is the ‘Avatar’! Also, as you may have noticed, they decided to call themselves the ‘Chmmr’. Hmmm… I still think ‘Mmrch’ is better, but whatever. The Avatar ships will now be available upon our return to Starbase. Therefore…

We will set course for Starbase. Captain out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:50 am 
Ilwrath torturer

Location: Hillopia, currently imprisoned in Invictler Slave Hive.
So any plans to go to draconis any time soon considering the circumstances? (Sorry for not posting for a while but do know I've been following your exploits from the sidelines!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:35 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

palmpet wrote:
So any plans to go to draconis any time soon considering the circumstances? (Sorry for not posting for a while but do know I've been following your exploits from the sidelines!)

Indeed, going to Draconis and meeting the Thraddash for the first time has moved up on my priority list, but other items of interest may even be more important, so I’ll wait until I get back to Starbase before deciding between those choices.

But somebody really should warn those guys there’s a flock of spiders on the way… or would that be a swarm of spiders? Uh… no, that would be flying insects like bees or flies… …ok, so I admit I had to go look it up, and a group of spiders would be called a ‘cluster’ or even ‘clutter’ of spiders, and I have a feeling there going to be some clutter in the form of Thraddash carcasses left all over Draconis if I can’t stop them!

(Meanwhile…)
Captain’s Log - Beta Volantis - Nov 29, 2157 - Yellow Alert

Before we left Procyon, I used the time portal to place us back to when we had entered orbit of Procyon II, but prior to using the Sun Device. I had us use the Umgah ’Caster to see if they had any knew information to give us in their lower-case form behind the orange hellbore-proof glass following the departure of the mighty fleet of Avengers, but everything was still as before; it was as if they hadn’t even taken notice of the massive fleet of Avengers that had been overhead.

I admitted to the underdeveloped Chmmr that we have been uh… “borrowing” a solar manipulator device from the Mycon, but the only observation they could make was it appears to be a Precursor tool that can radiate a tremendous amount of energy, so I used the time portal to put us back to after we had freed the Chmmr and set course for Sol.

We were heading back to Starbase, but we had already attracted much attention before we had entered Procyon, and there were more Ilwrath awaiting on the lower side of the Volans Constellation, blocking our way back home. I knew that if we maintained course and speed, one of the Avenger groups was going to intercept us, and from there it would undoubtedly turn into an uphill battle as more and more Avengers would rush in for the “feeding frenzy”, and I have no time to become spider lunch, so I ordered the helm to switch to manual control and swing us around the Volantis stars, followed by flying through the center of the tight cluster of stars when we had them wrapping around in a clump to continue the chase, but during the evasive action we didn’t notice the small star in the lower right-hand section of the constellation, and we were pulled into the system and dropped out of HyperSpace.

The star turned out to be Beta Volantis, a white dwarf star with only one orange giant, which surprisingly fell in the green temperate zone, but I felt this was no time for exploration fun -- not to mention the pair of Avenger squadrons that were in far orbit, so it wouldn’t be worth it to sneak or blast our way past them (whichever were to come first) just to satisfy my curiosity, but their presence gave me an idea…

We activated the Umgah ’Caster, since I realized this was the first time we’ve seen any Ilwrath ships outside of their home star after we’ve sent them on a mission to slaughter the Thraddash.

They were very pleased to be hearing from their gods again, but only momentarily, realizing that they have not yet made it out to Draconis to let the butchery commence, so they felt the need to remove some of their own limbs as a sign of humble accord. Their leader stood before us screaming in pain as he ripped off several of his appendages as some of my bridge officer gasped in disbelief as the Ilwrath stood there, leaking a mostly clear fluid with trace amounts of pink and yellow began to squirt from where legs were previously attached just moments before. He was certainly half the spider he used to be.

Momentarily satisfied at their quick action of extreme measures of appeasement, the captain continued, explaining that they are trying to get there as fast as possible, but alas, their Avenger ships are simply too slow, but then he rescinded his previous plea, condemning himself for offering such a poor excuse, but he wasn’t content enough from the self-vilification, and decided to further demonstrate the levels of embarrassment and shame by removing more limbs before our eyes! Yikes! We switched off the communications channel before we were left talking with a limbless spider juice fountain:

Hesitantly, we tried again, and a separate ship answered the call this time, and they were equally as eager to continue the dismemberment where the predecessor had left off. I mean, Geez Louise! These Ilwrath guys aren’t going to get to Draconis any faster by having to use their nubs to fly their ships, not to mention constantly having to climb over piles of everybody’s removed limbs! Well, that was enlightening. NOT!

We shall resume course for Starbase. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:14 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

- We have a new strategy!

- Talk them to death?

- No, listen them to death.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:40 pm 
Ilwrath spawn

Hailing to dismember.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:08 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Captain’s Log – Dec 3, 2157 – Starbase

We returned to base, and Commander Hayes greeted us, or should I say attempted to greet us, because we couldn’t adequately see him at first as the airlock doors opened because, well, he was up to his elbows in all of the Shofixti crowded around him! That’s right! The Shofixti are back!! And they’re packed into our humble little starbase like sardines… or perhaps tribbles would be a more suitable analogy! Apparently, Captain Tanaka has been very busy!

Yes, his services are greatly appreciated not only because he has restored the Shofixti race and we now have their Scout vessels available to be built in our shipyards, plus due to the massive amount of the little furballs running around the station, we won’t have to worry about the cost of crew replacements whatsoever. Not that crew cost was becoming an issue or anything, but perhaps now I can look the other way when we have a few… uh, “accidents” here and there.

And they’re definitely eager to climb aboard any and all ships we have in the fleet; these guys have practically taken over most of the jobs at starport… they’re recalibrating sensor units, patching up some micro-meteorite holes on the Vindicator, refabricating metallic alloyed manifolds in the receiving bay, conducting routine inspections on all station decks, plus they’re mopping the floors, making the beds, cleaning the rooms, serving food and drinks in all of the food replicator bars and eating stations, giving massages, cleaning the station’s windows and Wow!… I’ve never seen the bathrooms look so spotless!

There was even a massive herd of them that just split up into smaller groups and have entered the Vindicator and fleet and have started the same inspections, maintenance work, and cleaning routines there as well! The Shofixti aim to please! Awesome!… but I think maybe the good folks here at Starbase may have taken advantage of our little furry friends!… But Hey! Yes, you! Missed a spot! Computer, delete the last sentence.

Anyway, back to the ships. Shofixti Scouts are quite nimble in a fight, and with a proficient pilot at the helm they can whittle down an opponent with their energy dart projectile weapon, and… if all else fails, they can move in and activate the glory device self-destruct bomb weapon to inflict as much damage as possible before entering Shofixti heaven through the Divine Wind.

Shofixti Scouts are great… that is, if you’re into strapping a bomb to yourself and hurling yourself into the enemy! But, I think I’ll like the other option a little better: The Chmmr Avatar!! Oh yeah! Now we’re talking! These babies can hold a crew of 42 (which may mean 1 Chmmr + 41 Shofixti) and have all sorts of fascinating technology, both offensive and defensive! Check this out!:

The Avatar it fitted with a super powerful laser that’s even more powerful than the VUX Intruder’s laser cannon! They have to measure its power in terawatts as opposed to mere gigawatts! They also have 3 of these crazy winged things that fly around the Avatar that will intercept and attack anything close by, including enemy fighters or even the main ship if they dare approach, with precision-firing short-range lasers. And if the enemy dares not to approach, then the ship also has a powerful tractor beam that will drag its target into range so they can slice it up with their terawatt laser and zapping satellite thingies! Perfect!!

Now armed with this new information, we will reconvene shortly to discuss our next mission. Captain out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 122  Next