About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri May 05, 2017 3:10 pm

Agreed Quasi, we’ve probably delved into SC3 enough, and besides, if the Syreen are no longer desirable, I’m not sure I’d be able to handle all that. So, let’s get back to a place and time where the Ur-Quan are a conquering menace and the Syreen are hot…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Mar 24, 2157 - Zeta Normae - Status: Green

We have just arrived on the outskirts of the Zeta Normae System, and it’s an orange dwarf star with one small red planet in a far orbit. This will make a good strategic stopping point, in terms of establishing an intentional “fork in the road” if you will. This way I can place a specially marked time portal for if and whenever we need to return to this point in space and time.

After all, we don’t know what we’ll find in Umgah space, and our explorations may take longer than anticipated, at which time it will be convenient to activate the portal and resume course for the area where the Arilou have been seen, plus the spatial anomaly. And, on that note it may become necessary to alter both of those projected plans if we need to travel far across in a downspin direction to stop the Pkunk from making it all the way to the Yehat in the Serpentis Cluster.

On our trip here, after we were clear of the Tucana constellation and past Cepheus and Carina, we noticed that the ships following us started dropping out of HyperSpace and discontinued their pursuit, presumably to reengage each other in combat to continue their big battle ritual. It would’ve been nice to explore Beta and Gamma Carinae, or the giant star Alpha Carinae, or the two giants Alpha and Beta Cephei, but there is way too much Ur-Quan activity in that area for us to have stayed for any length of time, and I doubt we would've found anything useful there anyway, except maybe evidence of a few destroyed ZFP colonies.

Norma, shown under the name Norma et Regula in the Uranographia of Johann Bode (1801).
‘Rule and Square’ is a traditional English pub name.

Speaking of stars, the hook-shaped Norma Constellation has 5 other stars that we could explore, but of course our main Umgah leads point towards the large cluster of the Orionis stars. On old earth maps, Norma received its name for being “normal”, but rather than a plain, ordinary normal-looking fisherman’s hook, its name actually refers to having a right angle, and is usually represented as such in the form of straight measuring tool, like a ruler or level, or even a square or table.

We are remaining at green status for now, but we’ll be going to yellow alert as we near planetary scanning range, just in case there might be undetected Umgah in close orbit around the planet, since I believe there’s a distinct possibility we may already be within their territory.

We will set course for the planet. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:53 pm

BTW, once you've exhausted what's available of the Umgah conversation tree, which you definitely will soon, you're clear to read my kids' play log up to the first place I put spoiler tags in again. I did spoiler the mining report for one system you're not obviously headed to - not that it was that remarkable, just for purity's sake.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri May 05, 2017 5:58 pm

We actually did have a small discussion of SC3s pros and cons (mostly cons) fairly recently, right over here:

http://star-control.com/community/viewt ... =11&t=1198

It's not exactly exhaustive, but feel free to add to it. As an extra bonus, I don't think there are any spoilers for SC2 for Trog to stumble across (yet)!

And that is the last time I will address SC3 in this thread. By all means, carry on.

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Sun May 07, 2017 6:44 pm

Draxas wrote:As an extra bonus, I don't think there are any spoilers for SC2 for Trog to stumble across (yet)!
That may be so, but there are plenty of spoilers for SC3, so I recommend against Trog reading it. You might ruin the one and only thing that's good about the game and then there will be no reason to play it!

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue May 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Captain’s Log - Mar 24, 2157 - Zeta Normae I

We entered orbit of the only planet in this system, and it’s an Infrared World with an atmosphere a little over twice as thick as earth’s, a cold -225° C, class 4 tectonics, a small mass and gravity, along with 4 deposits of base metals.

Ship’s morale is at an all-time high with all of our recent victories and various averted disasters, and the crew’s performance as of late has been exemplary. To help maintain that level of cohesion amongst our ranks, I feel it necessary to also establish some semblance of routine and familiar obligations while we prepare for what we may find in Umgah territory.

To that end, I am having us conduct planetary analysis, mineral gathering, and biological data recording during our travels within this dense star cluster. Although I will probably end up omitting the experience for the rest of the crew, I find it important for us to follow procedures so our efforts can systematically eliminate from our search pattern each star system we encounter star by star, planet by planet, and moon by moon, at least until we find something more interesting to occupy our attention.

We will dispatch the Lander shortly. Zelnick out
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Supplemental:

We sent down the Lander and found 60 units of mercury on the surface. Not really understanding why mercury would be considered a base metal since it’s non-ferrous, but whatever. While on the surface, the Lander was rocked several times by the tectonic tremors, but the shock absorbers held and we suffered no casualties.

We will set course for Gamma Orionis. Zelnick out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed May 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Captain’s Log - Mar 26, 2157 - Gamma Orionis - Status: Green

We have arrived on the outside perimeter of the Gamma Orionis System, another orange dwarf star, and this system has 6 planets:

Planet 1 - Small Blue (cool zone)
Planet 2 - Small Green (cold zone begins)
Planet 3 - Small Blue
Planet 4 - Small Red
Planet 5 - Violet Gas Giant
Planet 6 - Medium Green

The stars that make up Orion have been rooted in Earth’s history and recorded as far back as 38,000 years ago, where carvings of its star formation made by mammoth tusks have been found in caves in the Ach valley in former West Germany. Orion, and especially its 3 bright aligned stars (often referred to as Orion’s Belt) has been catalogued and revered by many civilizations over time since ancient times, including the Egyptians, Chinese, Babylonians, and the Armenians, among many others.

There are also many depictions of how Orion should look after connecting the stars of his constellation; some show him holding a sword and shield, while others display him drawing back a bow, but my personal favorite is the one showing him holding up a decapitated lion’s head that he’s about to bash in with his club while simultaneously standing on a rabbit:

(Ref: Philologos | The Witness of the Stars | Book III, Chapter I
ORION (The Coming Prince) Light breaking forth in the Redeemer)

The current name derives from Greek mythology in which Orion was born to Poseidon and Euryale, a Gorgon, so he’s probably thanking his lucky stars (no pun intended) he didn’t inherit his mother's hair! His profile includes his fondness for hunting, his aversion towards scorpions, and his alleged unrelenting promiscuity which once rendered him blind, and he had to travel East and find some sunshine to regain his vision.

We will continue to closely monitor this system and approach each planet with caution, just in case there might be an Umgah or two lurking nearby undetected. We have plotted a planetary exploration path: 6-1-2-3-4-5

“Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades? Can you loosen Orion’s belt?” (Job 38:31)

We will set course for the 6th planet. Captain out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu May 11, 2017 9:49 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Mar 27, 2157 - Gamma Orionis VI

We have just entered orbit of a Magnetic World with no atmosphere, -227° C, and 11 deposits of base metals, but no magnetic monopoles. As is the case with other magnetic worlds, this one is medium-sized, and therefore has a higher mass (1.12 e.s.) and higher gravity (1.38 g) but what concerns me the most is the class 7 tectonics awaiting our landing party on the surface.

We will dispatch the Lander shortly. Zelnick out.

After sending down the Lander twice, which successfully avoided or absorbed all of the dangerous earthquakes and gathered 6 units of nickel, 10 of niobium, 42 units of zinc and 63 units of iron.

We will set course for the innermost planet. Captain out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Mar 27, 2157 - Gamma Orionis I

We have just entered orbit of a small Azure World (0.03 e.s.) and even though it’s the innermost planet with the closest orbit (0.94 a.u.) its temperature is only -100° C. It also has a small atmosphere (0.22 atm.) with class 3 weather, along with class 6 tectonics we’ll have to deal with while the landing team scoops up its 5 deposits of base metals.

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Zelnick out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We found 6 units of indium and 16 units of molybdenum as well. While on the surface, the vehicle was hit by a few lightning strikes and earthquake tremors, but they suffered no casualties except for some minor electrical shocks, as well as a few bumps and bruises.

We will set course for the 2nd planet. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Mar 28, 2157 - Gamma Orionis II

We have arrived at the 2nd planet, and this Green World has similar weather conditions as the previous planet, but with a thicker atmosphere (1.86 atm.) and class 5 tectonics, and it also has 2 deposits of rare earth minerals on the surface.

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface shortly. Zelnick out.

We gathered 35 units of praseodymium from the surface. Unfortunately, a stray bolt of lightning killed one of the members of our landing party, but we will continue onward without implementing the time portal... for now.

On that note, the Tobermoon’s shuttle has just left docking bay after sending over a crew replacement.

We will set course for the 3rd planet. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Mar 29, 2157 - Gamma Orionis III

We have entered orbit of an Ultramarine World with a 1.56 atmosphere, which has given this cold planet (-209° C) class 3 weather conditions, but it also has a tiny mass and 0.08 gravity. Minerals scanners show it to have a single deposit of base metals and rare earth metals, as well as 3 deposits of noble gases.

We will send down the Lander to obtain the minerals. Zelnick out.

We found and picked up 12 units of cobalt, 13 units of holmium, and 34 units of Superman’s homeworld. We re-modulated our second lander’s shield frequency before sending her down, and although the Invincible II was hit several times by lightning strikes, the shields held firm!

We will set course for the 4th planet. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Mar 30, 2157 - Gamma Orionis IV

We have just arrived at the next planet and upon entering orbit our scanners show it to be a Cimmerian World with a cold -214° C temperature, class 4 tectonics and 11 deposits of common minerals.

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Zelnick out.

We found 45 units of lithium, 36 units of ammonia and 46 units of methanol on the surface. We may have well had taken up the Spathi’s earlier offer of scouring their waste disposal systems for minerals such as these! And to make matters worse, the seismic activity hit the lander hard on several occasions, and right before they were prepared to launch back to the mother ship, another earthquake occurred from directly underneath and hit them even harder, resulting in the loss of another one of my crew. My hand went instinctively towards the time control panel, but I made myself pull it away... We must continue!

The StarGazer sent over its shuttle to bring over another crew replacement to keep the Vindicator at full staff.

We will set course for the 5th planet. Captain out.
Captain’s Personal Log – March 31, 2157:

It’s happened again, just as before, but it seems more prevalent this time around.

I was walking down the corridor yesterday night, right after we had finished making the transfer from the StarGazer, and I could overhear loud singing and vivacious laughing coming from the ship’s galley.

I didn’t want them to become aware of my presence, so I crept up to the window and peered around the corner to see what was going on, and I saw a fairly large group of people, men and women alike, being led by Lieutenant Thompson, who was standing on a chair, orchestrating the ensemble like a conductor, and the song they sung had a similar cadence to that of “Heart of Oak”, an old march song by the British Royal Navy.

The lyrics were quite different, however, and the singers remained upbeat and harmonious the whole time, but before everyone would join in, Thompson alone would sing, posing the question, “Is any of this real?” The crowd would reply with an emphatic but surprisingly cheerful, “No!! None of this is real!” I can’t recall everything else the song said, but it was something to the effect of, “Hooray! Hooray! Someone has died so this can’t be real! We may all die and then we’ll be back!” It’s as if they were actually celebrating that somebody had died! But why? Pure whack craziness!

Then, Thompson would retort with a, “What happens to us after we’re gone? And whatever happens to those who stay?” with a response by the jaunty group of, “What does it matter? Yes! We all die!... Yes! We all stay!... But in the end it’s ‘All Hands Saved!’” I assumed as I quietly slunk away that the remainder of the song continued with the same subject material.

I know I could interfere and put an end to all of their shenanigans, but at the same time I feel it’s important to give them their freedom of expression, especially when it comes to the contemplation of existence, and I understand that they recognize the distinct role I play in those regards. It’s a bit troubling, yet understandable, all things considered. I think I’ll just stay out of the way and let them sing if they want to.

End of Personal Log.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon May 15, 2017 3:15 pm

Captain’s Log - Mar 30, 2157 - Near Gamma Orionis V

As we approached the gas giant, short-range sensors revealed it has 2 moons, 1 purple and 1 orange, but no Umgah ships have been detected, so we’ve adjusted our exploration path accordingly: m2-P-m1

We have set course for the 2nd moon. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log - Mar 31, 2157 - Gamma Orionis V-b

We have entered orbit of a Purple World with no atmosphere, class 3 tectonics, minimal gravity (0.15 g.) and 3 deposits of base metals.

We will send down the lander. Captain out.

We grabbed 24 units of rhenium, along with 9 units of cadmium.

We will set course for the planet. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log - Mar 31, 2157 - Gamma Orionis V

We have just entered orbit of a bright, violet gas giant that is relatively smaller than most (16.4 e.s.); it also has very vibrant swirling magenta and pink clouds with a few dark spots, but there’s really nothing unusual about.

We will set course for the 1st moon. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Mar 31, 2157 - Gamma Orionis V-a

We have entered orbit of a Radioactive World with stable conditions (other than the massive amount of radiation on the surface, of course) and about a half a g of gravity, plus numerous deposits of radioactive metals -- 16 in total. Our cargo bay is already getting full, so we’ll have to dispense with some methanol and ammonia to make more room.

We will dispatch the lander shortly. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the lander picked up as much of the radioactives that it could carry, the landing team returned to the ship, and we vacated the remainder of the common minerals, and some base metals as well, and then they returned to the surface and gathered up the rest, and we now have a wide variety of radioactive metals onboard: 42 astatine, 24 radium, 33 thorium, 34 francium, 22 protactinium and 8 actinium.

Now that we’ve finished up exploring this system, we can continue with our mission of investigating Umgah space.

We will set course for Beta Orionis. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Apr 1, 2157 - Beta Orionis - Yellow Alert

We have arrived on the outskirts of the Beta Orionis System, and it’s a green dwarf star with 5 planets, but more importantly, our sensors are detecting 3 Umgah patrol groups!

Planet 1 - Medium Blue (green zone) (Umgah)
Planet 2 - Violet Gas Giant (cool zone)
Planet 3 - Violet Gas Giant
Planet 4 - Red Gas Giant (cold zone) (Umgah)
Planet 5 - Small Green (Umgah)

The Umgah are currently unaware of our presence, and they continue their far orbits as we scan the system, occasionally drifting from planet to planet. I couldn’t help but notice that the innermost planet is a medium-sized blue world in the optimal, temperate zone. That, along with the next 2 worlds being gas giants, I feel give it the highest chance for hosting life, and it could possibly even be the Umgah homeworld.

We may skip the other planets to confirm my suspicions, but first, we will make contact with some of the nearby ships and see what we can learn from them. I realize that they might be as forthcoming as the VUX were (which I recall were not very forthcoming) but I’m hoping that they will at least be a bit friendlier, perhaps similar to our experience with the Spathi, so if we’re careful (and/or lucky) we may be able to deter any hostilities. I am also placing a time portal junction at this time before we proceed.

We will set course for the nearest Umgah squadron. We are going to Red Alert. Zelnick out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(a few moments later...)

Tactical Officer – “Captain! The Umgah are approaching.”

Captain Zelnick – “Steady as she goes, helm.”

Helmsman – “Aye, Captain.”

Captain Zelnick – “Have they answered our hail?”

Communications Officer – “Not yet, sir. I am, however, picking up something faint over sub-space transmissions, but Captain...”

Captain Zelnick – “Yes Commy? What is it?”

Communications Officer – “Laughter, sir... it.. it sounds like... laughter.”

Captain Zelnick – “Laughter?”

Tactical Officer – “Shields, Captain?”

Captain Zelnick – “Indeed, by all means.”

Tactical Officer – “Shields have been raised. Weapons, sir?”

Captain Zelnick – “Keep ‘em warmed up, just in case... but don’t achieve a positive lock; we don’t what to appear too provocative. But stay at the ready.”

Tactical Officer – “Aye aye, Captain!”

Captain Zelnick – “Continue with our approach. Everybody stay sharp. This is no joking matter.”

1st Officer – “Somebody needs to tell that to the Umgah.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Mon May 15, 2017 5:13 pm

April First at the Umgah system. I wonder what could possibly go wrong...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Mon May 15, 2017 5:22 pm

Every day is April 1st for the Umgah.