About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed May 03, 2017 7:16 pm

:?: What's a Doog?
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Wed May 03, 2017 8:10 pm

The Troglodyte wrote::?: What's a Doog?
Stupid race from Star Control 3. Had the most overpowered vessel in the game (possibly excluding the claircontlar's in some situations), and were generally very, very bad. Not in the sense that they were evil, they were just poorly made. You essentially got them on your side by giving them a massive amount of RUs. Trust me, the less you know, the better.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Indeed, a race that can build self-repairing spaceships, but dumb as Claircontlar rocks?

And they were the only ones inall SC franchise that had colonies worth the name....

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:08 pm

Clairconctlar rocks were rather too intelligent for that to be an apt insult.

Anyway, suffice it to say that we do not recommend you continue the series past 2. It's more of a step down from SC2 than the Star Wars prequels are from the original trilogy. Like, that step down, and then stepping down from there as much.

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Thu May 04, 2017 1:21 am

Draxas wrote:
Death 999 wrote:Free the Doog?
Urgh. Thanks for reminding me of one of the most poorly conceived parts of an altogether poor quality experience.
I have to disagree with you on that; the Doog don't even make my top ten list of most poorly conceived parts of that game. :D
Death 999 wrote: Anyway, suffice it to say that we do not recommend you continue the series past 2. It's more of a step down from SC2 than the Star Wars prequels are from the original trilogy. Like, that step down, and then stepping down from there as much.
Ouch! Harsh! :P

Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there were parts of SC3 that I actually really liked. They put some good effort into explaining away some of the unanswered questions from SC2 and (mostly) tied it together very well... It was all just executed very poorly. (And okay, some of their explanations were crap, but the stuff they got right, I feel was very right)

Troglodyte, I wouldn't say you shouldn't play Star Control 3, (in fact, I'd be surprised if you don't) but do make sure you adjust your expectations accordingly and heed the advice of friendly people on this forum who offer to help you through the frustrating parts of the game. :)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu May 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Wow, is Star Control 3 really that bad? Hmmm… I’ll have to take that into consideration whenever I eventually finish this game. But for now…

(The Trog Log continues…)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Mar 16, 2157 - HyperSpace {398.5:545.3} - Red Alert

As we exited the system, we were immediately confronted by a pair of Ur-Quan Dreadnoughts, who’s greeting more than adequately displayed how they are growing more and more furious that we’ve continued to interfere with their Doctrinal Conflict, but their commands for us to discontinue almost have a tone that could possibly be mistaken as a desperate plea. Intriguing... yet terrifying.

We engaged them in battle with our flagship, which only had to fire the Hellbore Cannons twice at each Dreadnought; our frontal weapon’s array accurately brought most of the projectiles (even the ones being fired from the side section) on point towards their target and exploded upon impact, obliterating both of their vessels’ hulls’ in seconds! Victory!!

In the battle’s aftermath, there were bogeys coming at us from all directions when we returned to HyperSpace, so we dodged them and then drew them all away from the Tucana stars, hopefully successfully disguising the whereabouts of the Zoq-Fot-Pik homeworld.

We are still at Red Alert, but only because we’ll need to make a course correction here shortly to avoid another incoming patrol group, which could be either of the Ur-Quans, neither of which would be a good thing. At least there weren’t any of those damn probes to impede our escape!

We should be clear of the danger and can resume a standard heading for Zeta Normae in a matter of hours. Zelnick out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Thu May 04, 2017 10:09 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:Wow, is Star Control 3 really that bad?
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I'm considering starting a thread to help me compile an itemized list of everything wrong with Star Control 3 when I have a couple of hours to spare. I'm not even joking. :P

Still, I stand by what I said above that I like some of the choices they made regarding backstory and answers to mysteries, and while you have to slog through some crap to get to it, I don't regret at all having played it and I'm sure you would get some enjoyment out of it too. :)

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Fri May 05, 2017 6:59 am

Yes.
Some mysteries, which should've been left unsolved, were solved.
A few with good ideas even.
I liked the...
wait...
This would become very spoilery....

But I very much disliked the puppets (instead of animation, they used animated puppets for the aliens. And not even good ones either.).

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Fri May 05, 2017 11:27 am

krulle wrote: ...
But I very much disliked the puppets (instead of animation, they used animated puppets for the aliens. And not even good ones either.).
What is there not to like about Humans' brows or Arilou head? Or the BEAUTIFUL Syreen?
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Fri May 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Alvarin wrote:
krulle wrote: ...
What is there not to like about Humans' brows or Arilou head? Or the BEAUTIFUL Syreen?
Thank you, for that "wonderful" mental image, Alvarin. Thank you very much. That was sarcasm, by the way, just in case it wasn't clear.
Seriously, though, you were allied with the Ur-Quan, and they were subservient to you. That, if anything, proves that the game had problems. Still, we're getting off topic here, so let's bury StarCon3 for the moment, shall we?
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.