About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:41 pm

krulle wrote:The Orz are wearing their suits also within the StarBase..... (Hayes told you that) I would therefore assume that they'll also di it aboard the Vindicator.
You're right, but I envision them having different kinds of suits, one of which would be the big bulky ones we're used to seeing, which are suited (pardon the pun) for space travel and battle -- the one awaiting *Singer* in the locker. The other being worn is like an "undersuit", which is less cumbersome; the stripped down version doesn't take up as much room since it doesn't have as much equipment, armor-plating, built-in weapons, etc., making it better suited for "air-based" environments.

I should've known better anyway... an Orz in a mission briefing is always problematic.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Tormuse
Orz *camper*

Post by Tormuse » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:47 pm

I feel like I'm missing something in that last image. What's different about it?

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:46 pm

I'm guessing here, but by context I'm guessing the avian migration has begun. Again.
(the Pkunk circle has shifted slightly to the right of the map)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:37 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Personal Log – January 11, 2156:

We are still en route to Starbase, and we’re slowly burning through the top portion of the fuel we just received from the Melnorme. We were fortunate to have just enough to position our vessel outside of the Ur-Quan’s detectable range; once they approached the Betelgeuse System, they would drop out of HyperSpace and continue their way back towards the epicenter of their Doctrinal War.

We hooked up the Umgah Caster to the communication relays and sent out a distress call. I was worried that the Ur-Quan may also intercept the signal and venture beyond their normal boundaries and investigate our transmission. Fortunately for us, a Melnorme Trader arrived less than a few days later so we didn’t have to stick around, and we now have an exorbitant amount of credits after selling our bio-data and information on the nearby rainbow world.

After we had finished our business with them, we set on our journey back to Starbase. We’ll not have much time to dilly-dally around once we get there –- we have much to accomplish and there’s no time to waste!

Now that we’ve been at HyperSpace for several days, it’s giving me some time to ponder the Ur-Quan, and both the Ur-Quan Kzer-Za and Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah have stirred inner feelings deep down deep inside me. It’s troubling. As hard as I try, I can’t help but feel sorry for them.

It’s much easier to slap a label on them and call them monsters, but I must admit, there is a certain logic to their methods. It’s twisted. It’s demented. It’s disturbing. And it’s certainly scary. But it’s also got its reasoning, which by definition… is logical. Can something be logical and also maniacal? If so, somehow the Ur-Quan pulled it off.

However, the Kzer-Za seem to demonstrate a legitimate concern for the survival of the races in this region, as long as those races are imprisoned, that is. But they really do some kind of responsibility to protecting us, and the enemy they feel they are shielding us from the most is ourselves. They have seen so much evidence of too many races blasting themselves into oblivion that they feel they should police the galaxy. And apparently everybody belongs in jail. Bail has been set at 12,000,000 credits and our court date is in 20,000 years.

It’s true that many civilizations have ultimately destroyed themselves, and from what our history texts explains, the people of earth almost on several occasions did themselves in as well. But the point being that we deserve the opportunity to overcome those adversities, to see if we can learn how to co-exist without trying the annihilate one another... And we did (well, for the most part), as have many races, and they all deserve freedom. When it comes down to it, even the Ur-Quan deserve freedom, but they also just need somebody to hold them in check while they learn how to play nice with others, or at least how to isolate themselves into contentment.

It’s peculiar how the Kohr-Ah have a differing perspective, but with the same goal in mind. It’s not just that they never want to be enslaved again. It’s more, shall we say, further-reaching than all that! Oh no, they never want there to not even exist any possibility that they could ever be enslaved again! And that’s an entirely different ballgame folks, especially when we’re talking about how the Kohr-Ah conducts business, because then you bring everybody else into the equation… an equation in which the mathematical solution is a sum of zero sentience for all but the UQ club.

The Kohr-Ah’s approach is much more simple. They explain their desires to “cleanse” and then proceed accordingly. They’ll offer only small glimmers into their motives, but after I exclaimed how we weren’t their enemies, they offered this phrase, which pretty much sums up their outlook:

Kohr-Ah – "You are right. You are not our enemy. We have NO enemy... beyond the Kzer-Za, our partners in the eternal conflict. You are simply... a spore, a seed. Today you are nothing... insignificant. But if allowed to bloom and grow someday... someday, you might represent a threat to our freedom and security. So we cleanse."

If you’re afraid of something, destroy it. If you don’t want to ever get cut, get rid of every knife available. If you’re allergic to peanuts, eradicate the crops. You’ll never have thorns or thistles if you pave your entire lawn with concrete, although you also can't have a flowerbed. This is the way of the Kohr-Ah. They don’t need grass. They don’t need flowers. They only need everything else to be gone but them. But, they’re going to find out the hard way… I’m a pretty tough weed to pluck!

End of Personal Log.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:25 pm

Yes. The Orz prefer a methane based atmosphere, if I recall correctly. Oxygen is likely poisonous to them.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:59 pm

Draxas wrote:Yes. The Orz prefer a methane based atmosphere, if I recall correctly. Oxygen is likely poisonous to them.
Hmm, methane? I think you've confused them with the Halo Grunts. They swim in alcohol, far's my memory is concerned.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:29 pm

I can't remember where I read that, if it's buried in the in-game text or the RP guide, but it definitely sticks out in my mind. Plus, I know next to nothing about Halo mythology, so that possibility for confusion is right out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:42 pm

It got brought up a while back (about a year ago!). Here was the general conversation, and I included the quick link:
[color=red]Death 999[/color] wrote:
Tormuse wrote:I'm enjoying reading your analysis of the Orz's speech. Of the many mysteries in this game, I think that's the one that confounds people the most. :)
Death 999 wrote:Non-spoiler: that's not water, but alcohol.
I don't remember that from the game. ???-smf Are you joking? Or is there a line somewhere that I don't remember?
The official hint book ('resource guide') says it. The game text does not contain the string 'lcohol', so I guess that's the only support for this assertion.
Draxas wrote:I can't remember where I read that, if it's buried in the in-game text or the RP guide, but it definitely sticks out in my mind.
I also did a quick search for "methane". Could it have been from this?
[color=red]Angelfish[/color] wrote:So, where did Talana, Zelnick and Fwiffo learn to breathe methane? Or where did that orz learn to breathe Oxygen? :P

krulle
Reborn Shofixti

Post by krulle » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:08 pm

Page 29 of the SC ii ressource guide (Attention, link contains SPOILERS.) by Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford.

I can cite the relevant passage, but not from this fricking mobile device...

They seem to be straight-forward gill-breathers, strong ethanol solution.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:13 pm

I just realized I didn't earlier check for 'thanol', like ethanol or methanol, but I just re-checked and it isn't there. I don't think they would have been specified to breathe propanol, butanol, pentanol, etc*.

*since this is an 'or' list, not an 'and' list, shouldn't it be 'vlc', 'vec', or 'velc'? I'll go ask some of my classicist friends.