About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:51 pm

Death 999 wrote:Dis gon b gud
I certainly hope so! I've been looking forward to making contact with the Syreen for awhile.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:00 pm

First contacts are always fun! Even when they're dangerous. But this game usually leaves it up to you as to how the contact goes. Can't wait to see what you'll learn from this system.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:32 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Apr 18, 2156 (17:15 hrs.) – Betelgeuse – Near Syreen Starbase

Before making contact with the Syreen at the starbase orbiting Betelgeuse 1, I took our Tactical Officer aside to get some advice. I admitted how I’ve never been very good at talking to women, and he has the reputation for being something of a "ladies’ man," so I felt it might be good to confide in him about my apprehension and socially awkward shortcomings, and of course this is all purely for diplomatic reasons and nothing more -- It’s not as if there’s anything I wish to gain personally, even though the very thought of finding romance out here in the emptiness of space is quite compelling, but my reasons however are totally professional. I have no time for such fantasy… Well, in a manner of speaking.

He informed me that it’s best to just be yourself, but I explained how that’s basically my problem; I find it difficult to be myself around women, especially since I tend to become very self-conscious and suddenly clam up, as if the butterflies in my stomach will burst into fire if I try to overcome my shyness and get up the urge to say something clever or funny, or even ask something simple like “Where are you from?” or “Do you come here often?” Wait! What in the world am I thinking? Oh! I can just see it all now, “Uh…whatever! I’m like, from the slave-shielded planet you’re orbiting you nitwit!” or “Do I come here often? As if! I’ve like, lived here on this starbase for over a decade you imbecile!” (I don’t know why the Syreen sound like valley girls in my head, they just do.)

He said I’m probably over-reacting and over-analyzing the problem, so he suggested that prior to arriving at the orbital space platform, I should consider having a couple of drinks to “take the edge off.” Seemed like sound advice… perhaps a little liquid courage just might do the trick! So I went back to my cabin and replicated some gin and grapefruit juice and I’ve started throwing back a few stiff drinks!

We’ll arrive at the starbase momentarily. Zelnick out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Apr 18, 2156 (18:46 hrs.) – Betelgeuse – Syreen Starbase

Perhaps I had one too many greyhounds! Oops!

As we approached the starbase, I stumbled onto the bridge a bit woozy and had the Communications Officer open hailing frequencies, and we were promptly greeted by Commander Talana. She was laying on her side in a casual but very seductive manner with approximately ninety percent of her beautiful pale blue skin showing, and her scantily clad outfit looked like a cross between a mermaid’s and a Valkyrie’s, with the best qualities of both, I might add.

The clothing ensemble was comprised of several ornate pieces of gold, including a couple of wristbands, one of which held a small dagger, a headdress which held back her long, flowing purplish hair, and a golden bra barely large enough to cover her chest, which made it appear as if she was some kind of princess of the Lost City of Atlantis or something. Her dainty little nails lightly tapped the circular console with her right hand as her piercing green eyes met mine. I was immediately caught in her gaze, and just like the Pkunk had predicted, her long, slender leg moved back and forth, gently caressing the other, as her soft, tender voice spoke:

It was obvious when she began that she was reading from a well-rehearsed script of what the Ur-Quan expected to be announced upon the approach of any unidentified vessel, and it took me back to when Hayes had hailed our vessel for the first time, and she was just as astonished as him now realizing it was actually Humans manning a space vessel.

Unfortunately, due to my slight beverage consumption overindulgence, I was flabbergasted by her attractive yet fantastical appearance and I identified ourselves as the Ethics Police and demanded that she explained her wild, promiscuous costume! Taken aback by my brash behavior, she defended herself by stating that their climate aboard the starbase was kept at 22° Celsius, and playfully asked if they should instead be wearing parkas.

Her frisky retort, along with the friendly undertones of her sassy defensive attitude, I took to mean as if she was flirting with me, so after she asked about who we were and why we were here and what did we want from them, I followed up by replying that what I really wanted was some "Touch-o-Vision", something I made up on the fly and thought would elicit a coy giggle out of her. However, this time I was flat wrong… She did remark that she thought I was cute and would otherwise have appreciated my tomfoolery, but this was a serious matter and many lives were at stake, theirs as well as ours, since the Ur-Quan would surely disapprove and enact severe punishment to us and the Syreen if they knew we were there, so she politely but firmly requested that I please take things more seriously. That's right, I'm cute.

I started feeling embarrassed and suddenly realized I had made an ass out of myself, so I activated the time portal and took a nap to sober up. Where was this time portal thing when I was back in school? It's as if I can have a second chance at a first date... not as if that was a date or anything of the sort. Like Talana said so herself, this is a serious matter. So I’ve brewed up a pot of coffee and I shall proceed once again, this time with a clearer head and hopefully better judgement.

Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:26 pm

The Troglodyte wrote:I've been looking forward to making contact with the Syreen for awhile.
... and for a while?

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Death 999 wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:I've been looking forward to making contact with the Syreen for awhile.
... and for a while?
Indeed! Let the sexual innuendo commence! ;)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Captain's Log - Apr 18, 2156 - Syreen Starbase - Status: Green

As Commander Talana's pretty face (and the rest of her) came into view, I identified myself properly as Captain Zelnick this time after she hailed us, and it was very pleasing to hear her sweet, angelic voice once again. I explained how we were there to help free them from the Ur-Quan, but Talana immediately objected that they didn’t wish to do anything to antagonize the Ur-Quan, and it would take something very convincing to change their minds otherwise. She even added that the Ur-Quan had given them a beautiful world they’ve named Gaia, and it was more than they ever had when they entered the war, since Syra had been destroyed and they were left to travel aimlessly amongst the stars in search for a new home.

According to her, the Syreen had joined the Alliance because they didn’t really have any other choice. Their slow-moving Habitat platforms were very vulnerable to attack, and the VUX had taken advantage by raiding them often. When the Alliance fell, all of the other races basically turned their backs on the Syreen, leaving them stranded out in the middle of space with nowhere to go. They thought that when the Ur-Quan Armada came barreling down upon them, they were all going to be massacred, but the Ur-Quan gave them the same two choices they give to all of their defeated enemies: become combat thralls or fallow slaves. They chose the latter, but also explained they had no homeworld to go back to, so the Ur-Quan in turn used their extensive knowledge of the galaxy to give the Syreen a new home planet that closely met the criteria and description of Syra, and then, of course, proceeded to encasing them under a slave shield once they had arrived and disembarked.

Even though I knew it might be a touchy subject, we really needed to learn more about what happened to Syra, so when I asked about it, Talana spoke of an unusual giant meteor that had penetrated their planet's crust all the way through the mantle, causing a massive volcano. They thought things were going to be fine, since it seemed to be dying down after causing much destruction in the vicinity. Unbeknownst to them, it would be the end of their beloved planet as they knew it, for after a year had passed, their entire planet suddenly began to fall apart...literally.

Massive calderas and planetwide earthquakes caused cataclysmic upheaval and too much devastation to even describe. Within days, the planet was unable to support life, and even the air had become unbreathable from all of the poisonous gas and smoke caused by the volcanos and apocalyptic horrors. The main group that was able to survive the catastrophe was the Syreen's Space Patrol, and they did everything possible to save as many lives as they could as well as salvage anything they could strap an engine onto and put in orbit of the dying planet. They're previous population of billions was now dwindled down to less than ten thousand, with only a mere five hundred of those being males. Then, after several years in orbit, not knowing what to do or where to go, they set out to search for a new home.

When I asked about their history and culture, her voice became slightly more sultry as she talked about the similarities between the physiologies between our two species, with a few exceptions… Hmmm, that's something I’d definitely be interested in learning more about! Just like in ancient Earth’s history, the Syreen developed from primitive tribalistic cultures and eventually, through cooperation and developing tools, they forged a more organized society, as well as learned how to defend themselves against the dangerous wild animals that were described as something similar to Earth's dinosaurs.

However, the main difference in the direction of their civilization was caused by the natural segregation of the aggressive nomadic tribes who lived in the mountains and herded beasts called Yma, which did not do well in the plains, from the farmers who performed their agricultural lifestyles in the plains and grasslands of the lower terrain. By the time the two sects began intermingling, the technological prowess of the farmers had surpassed any hunger for dominance the way it had evolved in Earth's early history, so therefore, society on Syra was not paved solely on the path of the territorial power-driven male warriors battling for superiority. Interesting.

But I still couldn't help myself about that revealing outfit she was wearing! Goodness me! So I made a passing comment about how she needed to admit it was a bit absurd with the knife and all, and she quickly shot back how some other time she may show me the hidden functionality of her uniform...knife included! Well then, now that's something to contemplate! Right before we said our goodbyes, I asked her if she ever gets lonely, to which she laughed heartily and said with an enticing, widened smile that I needn't worry about her, she gets by all right... Lucky her.

We are about to get underway with our mission, and I've decided we’ll be heading into Spathi space to see what we can learn from them on our way to their homeworld in Epsilon Gruis, and we'll start with investigating the Vitalis Constellation, but this will also necessitate stopping by Alpha Illuminati in Spathi space on our way back so we’ll have enough fuel to get back home!

On that note, I have made it my own personal goal to do everything in my power to help all of the races that have been enslaved by the Ur-Quan, and the Spathi are included on that list, but I'd be lying if I didn't confess that I put a higher priority on saving people like the Syreen. Hopefully one day soon I'll find what we need to convince the Syreen to help us in our just cause to rid the galaxy of the Ur-Quan tyranny.

Until then, Talana, keep that knife holstered.

We will set course for Beta Vitalis. Captain out.

Tormuse
Nnnnnngaaaa!!!!

Post by Tormuse » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:12 am

The Troglodyte wrote:Right before we said our goodbyes, I asked her if she ever gets lonely, to which she laughed heartily and said with an enticing, widened smile that I needn't worry about her, she gets by all right... Lucky her.
I seem to recall that this is one of the changes to the dialogue in the UQM version of the game. In the orignal, Talana says something like, "don't worry about us; we get along fine with just us women," implying that there are some same-sex partnerships going on. Just thought I'd put that out there. :)

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:15 pm

Tormuse wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:Right before we said our goodbyes, I asked her if she ever gets lonely, to which she laughed heartily and said with an enticing, widened smile that I needn't worry about her, she gets by all right... Lucky her.
I seem to recall that this is one of the changes to the dialogue in the UQM version of the game. In the orignal, Talana says something like, "don't worry about us; we get along fine with just us women," implying that there are some same-sex partnerships going on. Just thought I'd put that out there. :)
Interesting, and I think that would be a natural tendency concerning sexuality, while males would likely also be highly prized, even after 75 years there still wouldn’t be very many of them, considering they were down to an abysmal 500, so it’s a logical conclusion that likely most of the populace would adapt to meet the basic need for companionship, but reproduction does become an issue at some point, but they could overcome such problems artificially.

But that brings up another possibility, I wonder if there’s also adequate reason to believe that Syreen women may even be able to naturally reproduce with each other as well. Talana did mention subtle differences in our two physiologies; their reproductive organs could be part of that list and function similar to isogamous lifeforms or somehow asexually. There's something there that's certainly partially being implied by her, but I suppose it could also mean they reproduce androgynously, and they’re actually all hermaphrodites.
Talana wrote:"Our species are almost identical, almost too close a match to be just a coincidence. Our bodies are very similar, Captain. Ha! ha! Except for... certain parts..."

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:08 pm

Captain's Log - Apr 23, 2156 - Beta Vitalis - Status: Green

After our six day journey, we've arrived on the edge of the Beta Vitalis System, a small blue neutron star that is one of the four stars in this "small" constellation, and this one has 4 planets:

Planet 1: Small Blue (green zone)
Planet 2: Small Green (cool zone)
Planet 3: Small Yellow
Planet 4: Small Green (cold zone)

Each of the planets is separated by a large gap of an orbital ring, especially the last one, whose lateral side almost touches the very edge of the system. We are now within the Spathi's sphere of influence, but we haven't detected any of their ships nearby, but that doesn't rule out that there could be some Eluders within this system orbiting any of the planets, so we'll stay alert, especially as we enter short-range scan whereupon approaching a planet.

I really wanted to travel out to Alpha Tucanae and meet with the Zoq-Fot-Pik leaders at their homeworld of the innermost planet, but due to our fuel situation, our Navigator calculated that we would be unable to make it all the way to Alpha Illuminati afterwards; she reported we’d be short by barely 2 units. I’m halfway tempted to make a detour and still drop by the ZFP after filling up our tanks.

We have added a standard planetary exploration path: 3-1-2-4

We will set course for the 3rd planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Apr 23, 2156 - Beta Vitalis - Planet 3

We have just entered orbit of a Urea World with a thick 1.90 atmosphere, -112° C, class 3 weather, class 7 tectonics, low gravity (0.21 g), 4 common mineral and 7 biological lifeforms.

We will dispatch the Lander to get the lifeforms. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Supplemental:

Pretty slim pickings. We found 2 of the small purplish translucent slugs (orig. Beta Centauri III-b) along with their big brothers, 3 of the fairly larger blue slug-like creatures (Zeta Ptolemae I), and 2 of the pineapple trees (Alpha Saurus II), but all of them only amounted to 11 units of bio-data. My hand slightly quivered above the time portal button for a moment until my discontent had subsided.

We have set course for the 1st planet. Zelnick out.
Captain's Log - Apr 24, 2156 - Beta Vitalis - Planet 1

We are currently in orbit of an Azure world with a 1.64 atmosphere, a 77° Celsius temperature, low gravity (0.20 g), class 4 weather, class 5 tectonics, 4 base metals and 23 biological lifeforms! And imagine that!... A planet with an average hot temperature with life on it!

We will dispatch the Lander to the surface. Captain out.
Captain's Log - Supplemental:

We took two trips to grab all of the lifeforms, and there were more large blue slugs, as well as one-eyed jesters and green bouncing balls everywhere! The Lander just drove as fast as it could jerking from side-to-side in an effort to land a lucky shot while it fired blindly at full blast, hoping its rapid-fire shots would sometimes hit their mark. During the chaos, which brought in 31 units of bio-data, I actually lost track of how many of each lifeform we captured. There was a bunch of each, so I’ll just leave it at that, especially the jokers and balls – and I could've sworn I saw one of the elfish cyclops dribble a green bouncy lifeform like it was a basketball!

We have set a course for the 2nd planet. Zelnick out.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:33 pm

Just... go home already. You don't need to follow every single lead on one tank of fuel! Besides, after all these planet landings, you're going to have even less than you thought. Don't you want to put all those minerals to use already?