My Star Control Music Tribute Page

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Awkbird
ZEXy Beast

My Star Control Music Tribute Page

Post by Awkbird » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:22 am

I may be pretty new to the forums here, but definitely not a stranger to Star Control, and I wanted to share a side project I've been working on in honor of the revitalization of the Star Control franchise.

I've worked on my own music inspired by the series over the years and have recently assembled a compilation on my own site. I tried (failed?) to keep the nerd screed to a minimum but I wanted to give some personal exposition on my various inspirations, so it is a bit wordy.

I am actually the author of the Hyperspace 2014 Update video on Youtube (it's the only piece I have on there) but I have also done an orchestral version of the Quasispace theme and several original compositions including a melee medley, an introductory cinematic sequence, and new themes for a few of the classic races. I know the old races won't be featured in Stardock's reboot, but I have a glimmer of hope that perhaps these might be good enough to impress Brad Wardell to hire me and contribute some music for the new title. :D

Enjoy!

http://www.martinlettvin.com/star-control.html

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: My Star Control Music Tribute Page

Post by Alvarin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:38 am

I have REALLY enjoyed the Pkunk melody. Hyperspace was really nice too. Quasispace didn't sit right for some reason I can't point to...
Syreen and Mycon in my opinion don't fit the races and the inro is just too heavy. Mellee tune is OK, I guess.
The Pkunk is just spot on and awesome :)
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Stargazer
Hunam adventurer

Post by Stargazer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:21 am

These melodies are fantastic, especially «Hyperspace 2014» and «Melee Theme Medley»! =)

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:12 pm

Wow, I really like these tracks! though I have to mention that the melee track reminds me too much of 90's happy house/hardcore to really get into it ;). also, the quasispace theme could use a bit more layers.

Awkbird
ZEXy Beast

Post by Awkbird » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Well the 90's hardcore sound is no coincidence, it's supposed to be a direct homage to Dan Nicholson's original melee track. :D

The melee medley is probably the one that I took the most creative liberty with in terms of adapting new motifs into, whereas the Quasispace and Hyperspace updates are identical in notation to the original arrangements. I didn't really want to expand on them as they are already perfect in my mind. These are specifically meant to be direct modernizations of the originals and I ended up really liking a more traditional orchestral interpretation for the serene mood of the Quasispace theme, but I hear you. I thought about adding just a little more "depth" to it like I did with Hyperspace (and haven't entirely ruled it out yet) but I thought it lent itself well to a more intimate symphonic sound with only eight traditional orchestral instruments.

Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Quasispatial » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:00 am

Nice music - I like the Melee Theme in particular. In fact, it was so good so that I may have gone into the source code in order to put it on repeat on Windows Media Player. It's been going on repeat there for the last few hours now. Hope you're not upset, but pressing the replay button every three-and-a-half minutes got rather tiresome after a while.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

Tiberian
Orz *camper*

Post by Tiberian » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:41 am

Am I missing some add-on or something, since I can't find a way to play the music from the page you linked? I am using the latest Firefox.

There's the HD image of the alien and underneath a grey bar which does nothing.
Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. www.tommisalminenbooks.com

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:03 pm

Tiberian wrote:Am I missing some add-on or something, since I can't find a way to play the music from the page you linked? I am using the latest Firefox.

There's the HD image of the alien and underneath a grey bar which does nothing.

Strange, I'm on Firefox and it works...
You can open the page source, scroll down to .mp3 links and listen from there.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Awkbird
ZEXy Beast

Post by Awkbird » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:45 pm

Tiberian wrote:Am I missing some add-on or something, since I can't find a way to play the music from the page you linked? I am using the latest Firefox.
There is no add-on, it's HTML5 audio. It works in all browsers. Something's wrong with your Firefox setup.

Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Nuclear » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:51 pm

I always get excited to see a new Hyperspace mix! They're very common in the community, but almost always solid.. which reminds me, I should get finishing my own Hyperspace remix pretty soon. I'll always keep using the same excuse though; You-knee-ver-sit-ahhh
Angelfish wrote: though I have to mention that the melee track reminds me too much of 90's happy house/hardcore to really get into it ;).
MOVE. YOUR. ASS.
[DUKA-DUKA-DUKA-DUKA]
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.