Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by Angelfish »

Eth wrote:
Saria wrote:Genuinely sorry that my topic made Eth quit his moderating post, however. :? I... never really intended for that to happen. Golly do I feel like an ass now.
Eh, don't worry about it. I've been trying to quit for like a year now.
And, how does it feel to be finally free from the clattering clutches of dr. derrenbacker?
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

Angelfish wrote:
Eth wrote:
Saria wrote:Genuinely sorry that my topic made Eth quit his moderating post, however. :? I... never really intended for that to happen. Golly do I feel like an ass now.
Eh, don't worry about it. I've been trying to quit for like a year now.
And, how does it feel to be finally free from the clattering clutches of dr. derrenbacker?
I'm happy. Visiting the forum had become a duty, rather than something I do for fun. Now I like coming here a lot more.
glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device »

Eth wrote:Eh, don't worry about it. I've been trying to quit for like a year now.
Nicotine patches does great apparently...if not try a pair of cutting pliers on the RJ45 wire!

back on track a bit, I find that it is a bit crazy to improve social issues these days for the simple reason that I find them to be intricately intertwined with one and the other. For example, Journalism standard greatly influence the perception of a lot of people toward any given subject and since journalism is basically rooted in everything...well you get pre munched biased information that doesn't inform you at all.

Now, if you talk about men/women inequality you end up most of the time to include other visible minorities of a given culture be it immigrant, LGBT and homeless people. With those, you can tie up to almost every social issues that I can think of.

I must say this: i'm a man of action not of debate or talk in general and I find it extremely hard to do net positive action regarding those aspects because I don't believe in any form of riot, manifestation or demand (which is really frequent where I lve). I'd rather put my two hands at work and do constructive stuff.

So, in short my question is: where do we start, what can we do on small scale to at least get some small part of this clusterfuck sorted out and a bit better?
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

Find a problem, small-scale and close-to-home. See if anyone's working on solving it. If so, help out. If not, get started on it yourself.

Or, if you think it would be more efficient, throw money at these problems.
glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device »

I already do ;) I organize a multidisciplinary robotic competition for youth of my area that strives to counter school dropout (which is really ugly in our area right now). The problem for me is that for school drop out there are ways to try to hook people up (like what I do), but I'm afraid we are not touching the root cause at all. We're simply applying a band aid and save a couple of students here and there.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a positive outcome and participants enjoy it A LOT. But, yeah...I don't know if I make sense right now :lol:
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo
Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star »

Journalism standard greatly influence the perception of a lot of people toward any given subject and since journalism is basically rooted in everything...well you get pre munched biased information that doesn't inform you at all.
When comedians like John Oliver and Jon Stewart are the best journalists in the US, you know something is wrong...
I don't believe in any form of riot, manifestation or demand
French speaker? The usual English word would be demonstration.
I organize a multidisciplinary robotic competition for youth of my area that strives to counter school dropout (which is really ugly in our area right now). The problem for me is that for school drop out there are ways to try to hook people up (like what I do), but I'm afraid we are not touching the root cause at all. We're simply applying a band aid and save a couple of students here and there.
Good on ya. A band aid is better than nothing.
glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device »

Bleeding Star wrote:

French speaker? The usual English word would be demonstration.
Yes, pretty clever!
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

in Dutch, manifestation has a positive connotation and demonstration a negative one ;). I wonder if it's the same in French?
glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device »

Hmmm, manifestation in french is somewhat neutral unless the manifestation was a borderline riot. The term demonstration in french isn't related at all to that. You will most often find the word demonstration as a synonym to the action of prooving something (e.g a mathematical demonstration). There is also the expression ''démonstration de force'' which could be used in that way but is almost never done.

However, words in French have this AWEFUL tendency to be used in a lot of different context...and since I'm not particularely gifted in French linguistic, it confuses the heck out of me a lot even if I'm a native French speaker!