Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by Scott Irving »

I'm really trying to not sensor and jump all over people here but this is sliding in flame war territory. I don't want to but I will lock the topic.

I'm also totally letting some of the rules slide here too..
http://www.star-control.com/community/v ... p?f=8&t=13
Also I'll likely be getting some assistance Moderating here in the near future as well.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Scott Irving wrote: Also I'll likely be getting some assistance Moderating here in the near future as well.
Make that the cat wise ;).
excuse my dunglish
Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving »

kan u dat alstublieft herhalen? :P-smf
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.
Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Post by Kwayne »

Back on topic, I caught something: https://twitter.com/KotakuInAction/stat ... RfYWN0aXZl ...

... which leads to this: https://i.imgur.com/E4ZAUrs.png
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

Jesus. What a nightmare.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

Kwayne wrote:Back on topic, I caught something: https://twitter.com/KotakuInAction/stat ... RfYWN0aXZl ...

... which leads to this: https://i.imgur.com/E4ZAUrs.png
I don't care if he raped someone, I'll buy the game anyhow.
Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Post by Kwayne »

Angelfish wrote:I don't care if he raped someone, I'll buy the game anyhow.
Just to clarify, when it comes to games, I don't care if the creators are genocidal infant killers.

The thing just appeared in in an excerpt of my twitter feed, and I thought it might serve as a side note, without any implications on my part.
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish »

it was just a side note to your side note, no worries!
Saria
Pkunk Elder

Post by Saria »

Bleeding Star wrote:
Eth wrote:I gotta say, it seems suspicious, what with Saria starting this topic and then buggering off, just waiting for things to explode. I think she's probably a mole from the feminist conspiracy. Or possibly the UQM forums.

Or Eth's wife.
As we speak I'm sending everyone's posts to the feminist headquarters. You'll be receiving your privilege checks in the mail within 2-3 weeks.
Shiver wrote:I PM'd her asking about the lawsuit Brad Wardell was involved in and she won't respond. The message I sent would piss a lot of people here off probably, but she has said she's taking gender studies classes and all that stuff so I thought it would be relevant to her. The silence is very fishy, but I don't follow her posting activities enough to ascribe a motive.
[/quote]

Sorry! I've been very busy as of late. I got hit with a bunch of medical issues and then started my intensive core program at my school so life has been sort of rocky lately. I went ahead and sent you a response.

Genuinely sorry that my topic made Eth quit his moderating post, however. :? I... never really intended for that to happen. Golly do I feel like an ass now.

The issue of diversity in gaming is one dear to my heart. I'm a chick who loves chicks and I love seeing myself represented in media. Ethics is also an issue very dear to my heart. Do women deserved to be harassed, shamed, and threatened? Never. Should journalists, even gaming journalists, be held up to journalistic standards? I'd like to think so.

A large part of the lack of diversity expressed in gaming media comes from the marketing department, actually. Games starring white guys just get more advertising funding than games starring chicks or minorities. Correlation? Causation? Who knows. Is it an issue? You bet. Does adding racial/gender/sexual diversity to a bad game make the game good? Nope. Does having no racial/gender/sexual diversity automatically make a game bad? Nope. Most people in support of Gamergate aren't woman hating racists. Most people in opposition of Gamergate aren't radical "kill all men" feminists. I do, however, believe that the Gamergate narrative has been twisted by the same people that people within the movement oppose. I do, however, also believe that woman hating racists have latched onto the movement in order to keep their "Boys Club" of gaming, while the majority of people in the hobby don't mind diversity in their games and/or completely welcome it. A lack of diverse protagonists is a real issue in gaming, but it's also an issue with the media as a whole. Overall, though, the movement is a failed and misguided attempt.

I should really answer my own question. I don't really see Gamergate as effecting the development of the new Star Control game, nor does Brad's support of it really sway me one way or the other.
Last edited by Saria on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth »

Saria wrote:Genuinely sorry that my topic made Eth quit his moderating post, however. :? I... never really intended for that to happen. Golly do I feel like an ass now.
Eh, don't worry about it. I've been trying to quit for like a year now.