Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

User avatar
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 am
Location: Citadel Station

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by Nuclear » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:45 am

Eth wrote:There's no motivation for someone to start an organized program of death-threats against themself.
That is an enormous assumption. I can think of a few reasons: namely, money and media attention. You can believe whatever the media tells you, but you have to be aware that journalists are oftentimes {I would wager most of the time} too lazy to actually substantiate their claims, kind of like what I'm doing by posting evidence and screen caps :P-smf

Again, nothing here is for certain. There are hefty claims of people being harassed and threatened, and there is a large amount of counter-evidence as well. It's up to you to formulate your own opinion about it. Just don't jump to conclusions is all I'm saying. Personally, my stance on the whole issue is fluid, and I don't get attached to any one person or cause. It just seems the trend on the board right now is in favor of the SJW and I feel it's my duty as a critical thinker to keep the ball rolling, instead of leaving it stuck in an echo chamber.

I refrain from actually showcasing my personal opinion as much as possible {since that tends to just piss people off, apparently}; I just let the articles speak for themselves.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

User avatar
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:39 am
Location: USA

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by Eth » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:26 am

The police have been involved in this. This isn't some dumb publicity stunt.

EDIT: We're drifting pretty far off-topic here. I'm done.

User avatar
chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by chenjesuwizard » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:14 pm

The majority of those are not real articles (just pictures) and don't offer any proper proof, nor explain real motivation behind why these would be faked etc, and, even if those particular cases are true, there is ample evidence and articles which do document the threats against these women. For example this.
Nuclear wrote:The agenda driven media doesn't particularly present a distinction between some 14 year old trolling on twitter, and actual substantial threats.

Likewise, just as the media and general public likes to overhype trivial rape threats, the instances of women crying wolf and faking their own rape for money and attention are conveniently left unattended.
And I just want to address this. Again, there is ample evidence that false rape accusations are rare, and at no greater amount than any other fake violent crime accusations, yet we still choose to dissect every rape threat and case in a way that is not done to other violent crime. Just because you point to a few cases of faked rape, does not mean that we should question most rape threats, in the same way we don't question violent threats. They are serious, horribly damaging things, no matter who they come from, 14 year old or 40 year old.
Last edited by chenjesuwizard on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:04 pm
Location: Transiting

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by Bleeding Star » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Nuclear wrote:a distinction between some 14 year old trolling on twitter, and actual substantial threats.
How do you tell one from the other, until it's too late? If only 1% of threats are serious, and you receive 100 threats on Twitter or whatever, then that's at least one genuine threat.

Even if none are genuine, can you laugh off continual abuse over a period of days? Weeks? Months? Cause that's psychological abuse at the very least. Were you ever bullied in school? Do you have any empathy at all?
Nuclear wrote:trivial rape threats
Nuclear wrote:trivial rape threats
Nuclear wrote:trivial rape threats
For serious?

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by Lukipela » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Yeah, so I was going to write something here. I got a few sentences into Nuclear post, and I'm not gonna say more than that I'm disappointed. I was hoping you'd turn out different.

EDIT: I guess this didn't add much to the discussion either. My apologies ;)
Last edited by Lukipela on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nuclear
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 am
Location: Citadel Station

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by Nuclear » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:16 am

Somehow I'm not surprised my attempt at sparking meaningful discussion was met with snarky ad hominem and irrelevant anecdotes. Did anybody actually bother to read what I linked?
Eth wrote:This isn't some dumb publicity stunt.
Playing the victim has become the spotlight business model as of late, if you haven't noticed. It's a damn good one too, because it's the only profiteering method that can brush off critics using any number of cheap political labels; in this case, "misogynist".
chenjesuwizard wrote:The majority of those are not real articles (just pictures) and don't offer any proper proof, nor explain real motivation behind why these would be faked etc.
So you're basically saying the only "proper evidence" you would accept is if Zoe stepped forward and actually admitted that she faked her own threats against herself. And why would she do that exactly? Internet crime requires internet evidence, such as a confirmed IP check ;)-smf
chenjesuwizard wrote:And I just want to address this. Again, there is ample evidence that false rape accusations are rare, and at no greater amount than any other fake violent crime accusations, yet we still choose to dissect every rape threat and case in a way that is not done to other violent crime. Just because you point to a few cases of faked rape, does not mean that we should question most rape threats, in the same way we don't question violent threats. They are serious, horribly damaging things, no matter who they come from, 14 year old or 40 year old.
Okay, fair enough. But please keep in mind that for the sake of staying more or less on topic we are talking about Zoe, Anita, and Brianna here. We are not talking about women in general. Escalating what I said to an argument about the abuse of women as a demographic is completely irrelevant.
Bleeding Star wrote:Even if none are genuine, can you laugh off continual abuse over a period of days? Weeks? Months? Cause that's psychological abuse at the very least.
If I were abusing myself to solicit 150 thousand dollars worth of pity donations, in between my bouts of blatant e-begging, I think the psychological trauma would be mostly offset by the pools of cash I'm swimming in. Maybe instead, I'm attracting flak, some of which being death threats yes, because I successfully doxed and sabotaged an opposing feminist charity so that I could funnel that sweet, delicious money into my private bank account instead. {Note that post on reddit was actually taken down by Zoe Quinn's reddit admin buddy. Hurrah for censorship}. Maybe instead, people are calling me out for a conflict of interest because I fucked the judge panel for an indie gaming competitionI took part in {cheating on my boyfriend in the process} and then, surprisingly enough, won an award despite my game being utter crap. Maybe the h8er's would be getting to me there! I would simply take out my frustration by sexually harassing a man at a wedding and then force him into submission with my army of white knights. Abusing my political power sure is fun! After that I would cry myself all the way to the bank and go on a little shopping spree using your money.
Lukipela wrote:I'm disappointed. I was hoping you'd turn out different.
Bleeding Star wrote:Do you have any empathy at all?
Lol, woe betide the day gamergate hits the 'ol SCDB! This is exactly what I meant by saying it's impossible to have a rational discussion on this topic. Well if you guys just want to sit down in the echo chamber and endlessly agree with one another without presenting any sort of opposing evidence what so ever, that's fine by me. But first, I'm gonna' post this video, because this dude calls out Anita perfectly. I hope I'm not asking too much when I ask you to watch it, although I know I totally am. {TRIGGER WARNING ;D-smf }





And that's it, I'm officially done with this thread. Please write a rebuttal if you want and then carry on the thread as if I never said anything.
Hackers never die. They just terminate and stay resident.

User avatar
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:39 am
Location: USA

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by Eth » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 am

The best part about not being a mod anymore is now I can use the forum's Block feature!

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by Angelfish » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Eth wrote:The best part about not being a mod anymore is now I can use the forum's Block feature!
Please keep the discussion ontopic. Thanks!

User avatar
Scott Irving
Site Admin
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 am
Location: The Tardis
Contact:

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by Scott Irving » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:51 am

Yes, it would appear this is drifting of topic.. it's gamergate related but I'm rapidly losing the connection to star control.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

User avatar
chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Gamergate Stardock and Star Control

Post by chenjesuwizard » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:46 am

Nuclear wrote:
Eth wrote:This isn't some dumb publicity stunt.
Playing the victim has become the spotlight business model as of late, if you haven't noticed. It's a damn good one too, because it's the only profiteering method that can brush off critics using any number of cheap political labels; in this case, "misogynist".
What? Like does anyone actually believe this?
chenjesuwizard wrote:The majority of those are not real articles (just pictures) and don't offer any proper proof, nor explain real motivation behind why these would be faked etc.
So you're basically saying the only "proper evidence" you would accept is if Zoe stepped forward and actually admitted that she faked her own threats against herself. And why would she do that exactly? Internet crime requires internet evidence, such as a confirmed IP check ;)-smf
No, I never said that was the only "proper evidence", I just said your evidence is bullshit.
The fact that there were many tweets that were misogynistic and threatened violence and rape against her is enough evidence. There were hundreds of different tweets from different people like that. Literally everyone thinks this happened?? Why are you defending it? As far as I can tell your argument is "These women weren't threatened really, here's some pointless evidence that proves nothing, and anyway, even if they were, its not that big a deal."
chenjesuwizard wrote:And I just want to address this. Again, there is ample evidence that false rape accusations are rare, and at no greater amount than any other fake violent crime accusations, yet we still choose to dissect every rape threat and case in a way that is not done to other violent crime. Just because you point to a few cases of faked rape, does not mean that we should question most rape threats, in the same way we don't question violent threats. They are serious, horribly damaging things, no matter who they come from, 14 year old or 40 year old.
Okay, fair enough. But please keep in mind that for the sake of staying more or less on topic we are talking about Zoe, Anita, and Brianna here. We are not talking about women in general. Escalating what I said to an argument about the abuse of women as a demographic is completely irrelevant.
It is naive to discuss the nature of disbelief in rape threats without looking at the wider issue of rape culture and how it affects many women. This isn't some isolated case. This is misogynists, like you, saying that none of these women were threatened by rape really, and this behaviour is repeated again and again in each case, which allows those who carry out these rape threats to feel protected. The truth is, these rape threats have to be understood in the wider context of the treatment of women.
Bleeding Star wrote:Even if none are genuine, can you laugh off continual abuse over a period of days? Weeks? Months? Cause that's psychological abuse at the very least.
If I were abusing myself to solicit 150 thousand dollars worth of pity donations, in between my bouts of blatant e-begging, I think the psychological trauma would be mostly offset by the pools of cash I'm swimming in. Maybe instead, I'm attracting flak, some of which being death threats yes, because I successfully doxed and sabotaged an opposing feminist charity so that I could funnel that sweet, delicious money into my private bank account instead. {Note that post on reddit was actually taken down by Zoe Quinn's reddit admin buddy. Hurrah for censorship}. Maybe instead, people are calling me out for a conflict of interest because I fucked the judge panel for an indie gaming competitionI took part in {cheating on my boyfriend in the process} and then, surprisingly enough, won an award despite my game being utter crap. Maybe the h8er's would be getting to me there! I would simply take out my frustration by sexually harassing a man at a wedding and then force him into submission with my army of white knights. Abusing my political power sure is fun! After that I would cry myself all the way to the bank and go on a little shopping spree using your money.
Literally no real evidence here. A bunch of put together pictures, no news articles or other real sources.
Furthermore, even if she did all of those things, even if she was a horrible, horrible person, she, nor any other woman, deserves rape threats for any reason. They're disgusting.
The only way I can see your argument working in any way, shape or form, is if you think every single rape threat made against all the women in Gamergate was faked by themselves.

Post Reply