Approved budget for the Star Control reboot: 5 million dolla

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Zeracles
Pootworm

Re: Approved budget for the Star Control reboot: 5 million d

Post by Zeracles » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:31 am

Kwayne wrote:At this point, though, how do we expect F&P to assist with development?
Nothing specific but "Here's how not to shit all over the Star Control trademark", perhaps? I wouldn't necessarily expect them to but it could be good for them later on.

. . . if they're in the loop and if development isn't what it should be.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:39 am

That's a fair bit of money. I know very little about the business, how much of that goes to GFX/SFX and so on and how much goes to... err storyboarding and planning the plot?
Zeracles wrote:I hope Luki wasn't one of those guys. If it helps with the parenting load,
Nope. I figure I' good enough that they'll come to me. Then I'll play coy for a while and finally agree to do it for a cool fifth of the budget.
Bleeding Star wrote:I think Lukipela would be pretty good actually. As long as he has someone to correct his Finglish.
I'm an engineer, so from me you'd get a game about repairing the Vindicator according to specs. And the specs are written in Finglish.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:00 am

Lukipela wrote:how much goes to... err storyboarding and planning the plot?
I was going to wonder how much could usefully go into plot, then I remembered the project 6014 experience. Lots of money could go into it - basically HR, what with the high turnover of staff resulting from having to fire all the guys with stupid ideas :P-smf
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Post by Kwayne » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:15 pm

Zeracles wrote:... , then I remembered the project 6014 experience. Lots of money could go into it - basically HR, what with the high turnover of staff resulting from having to fire all the guys with stupid ideas :P-smf
Especially the ones trying to force the word "Frungy" into the dialog for no reason beyond showing off how big fanboys they are. Or anyone ever using "hive mind" as part of any description. Or the PC jackasses forcing their own sensitivities into the game.

Basically I'd spend 3 of the 5 million on a device that scans the writers' cranium for stupid ideas and 1 million employing an overseer who'd pound the writers head with a rod of frozen salami whenever they set off the stupid idea alarm. The rest is for devs and marketing.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Were there PC jackasses ruining Project6014?

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Collaborating over the internet is way harder than collaborating in person. If you have a team member that broadcasts 90% stupid ideas over the internet, the project is doomed. That miss-rate IRL is fine, because the stupid ideas get shot down immediately, and the 10% gold is found much faster.

Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Post by Kwayne » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:20 pm

Bleeding Star wrote:Were there PC jackasses ruining Project6014?
I mention PC people -- of course not the masterrace :) -- because one of my fears is when superficial political correctness gets to be used as a tool for inhibiting creativity and stopping conversations at the gateway of interesting, challenging, thoughtful plot ideas and effective narrative. It's not that there were some concrete PC type objections coming up specifically when I was in P6014, though there were people who felt like they would rather rewrite the original SC2 to make it compelling to some more people, even if it meant making the dialogues/art more sterile. (I wish I could still have some of those e-mails I got back then.)

But overall I think blind fanboyism was a bigger problem, along with the tendency of solving problems the George Lucas way.

I don't know what's the current situation with the writing team, but there were some indications that P6014 isn't much selective when it comes to accepting creative input, and I still remember one of the writer wannabes pissed off about me drawing the shofixti Hiroku in medieval asian-like attire, claiming I further reinforce a harmful anti-japanese stereotype the shofixti is buildt upon.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Kwayne wrote:But overall I think blind fanboyism was a bigger problem, along with the tendency of solving problems the George Lucas way.
Fair enough. I actually though Cedric was grounded enough to keep most of that under control.
Kwayne wrote:I don't know what's the current situation with the writing team, but there were some indications that P6014 isn't much selective when it comes to accepting creative input, and I still remember one of the writer wannabes pissed off about me drawing the shofixti Hiroku in medieval asian-like attire, claiming I further reinforce a harmful anti-japanese stereotype the shofixti is buildt upon.
The shofixti are actually one of the few cases where I thought SC2 crossed the line from hilarious caricature to iffy stereotype. But that's hardly your responsibility.

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:25 pm

Lukipela wrote: I'm an engineer, so from me you'd get a game about repairing the Vindicator according to specs. And the specs are written in Finglish.
I would absolutely LOVE to play a game like that. Minus the specs handicap. I like my specs crisp.
Also --
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:40 am

What if the specs were in precursor?