Approved budget for the Star Control reboot: 5 million dolla

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Saria
Pkunk Elder

Approved budget for the Star Control reboot: 5 million dolla

Post by Saria » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:30 am

It's not a secret that the new Star Control reboot is in development. The approved budget is approximately $5 million (Star Control 2's budget was $50,000 - that's how amazing Paul and Fred were!).

We are missing a vital component however. The Lead Designer. While we have received a lot of resumes for this position, we are still looking for the ideal candidate. Right now, the development on the game is engine-related but we will reach the point fairly soon where we will need an on sight lead designer.

The position is in Towson Maryland (Stardock East). The team is made up of some of the most experienced developers and artists in the industry.

Contact us!

http://www.stardock.com/about/careers.asp
"To give some reference for people who are not in the know for video game finance, the first Mass Effect game was estimated to cost 2 Million, and the third game cost 40 Million."

http://forums.stardock.com/458037

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Re: Approved budget for the Star Control reboot: 5 million d

Post by Maloo Oture » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Saria wrote:

It's not a secret that the new Star Control reboot is in development. The approved budget is approximately $5 million (Star Control 2's budget was $50,000 - that's how amazing Paul and Fred were!).

We are missing a vital component however. The Lead Designer. While we have received a lot of resumes for this position, we are still looking for the ideal candidate. Right now, the development on the game is engine-related but we will reach the point fairly soon where we will need an on sight lead designer.

The position is in Towson Maryland (Stardock East). The team is made up of some of the most experienced developers and artists in the industry.

Contact us!

http://www.stardock.com/about/careers.asp
"To give some reference for people who are not in the know for video game finance, the first Mass Effect game was estimated to cost 2 Million, and the third game cost 40 Million."

http://forums.stardock.com/458037
Holy shit! This can only mean good things, right?

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:39 am

Sure, two good things come to mind if the numbers are interpreted at face value:
  • Clearly it will be 100 times as good as SC2.
  • The third game of this reboot will have a budget of 100 million dollars.
Frogboy wrote:While we have received a lot of resumes for this position, we are still looking for the ideal candidate.
I hope Luki wasn't one of those guys. If it helps with the parenting load,
Frogboy wrote:an on sight lead designer
they don't actually need someone to work on-site so he can work from Sweden or wherever 8)-smf
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:46 am

Zeracles wrote:
Frogboy wrote:an on sight lead designer
they don't actually need someone to work on-site so he can work from Sweden or wherever 8)-smf
No, that was not a typo. They did intend the position to be on-sight, meaning it indeed can be anywhere, but the personnel is under sniper surveillance, ready to be eliminated in case of potential Intellectual Property leaks. Kind of next step in Non-Disclosure-Agreements.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:50 am

I'm so damn nervous about this project. Without Fred and Paul it seems like a huge risk. That said, I can think of one recent reboot that didn't entirely chit over the legacy of its predecessor (XCOM, for the record).
Zeracles wrote:I hope Luki wasn't one of those guys. If it helps with the parenting load
I think Lukipela would be pretty good actually. As long as he has someone to correct his Finglish.
but the personnel is under sniper surveillance, ready to be eliminated in case of potential Intellectual Property leaks.
These days it's cameras and drones. Get with the times!

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:02 pm

Lukipela's english needs insignificantly more correction than a native's.

Anyway, this is good news!

Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Post by Kwayne » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:03 am

I wonder if the approved budget contains marketing costs, and how much that might be?

Stargazer
Hunam adventurer

Post by Stargazer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:30 pm

Wow, this budget is quite big.
Bleeding Star wrote:I'm so damn nervous about this project. Without Fred and Paul it seems like a huge risk. That said, I can think of one recent reboot that didn't entirely chit over the legacy of its predecessor (XCOM, for the record).
Weren't Stardock talking about it with Fred and Paul? :?

Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn

Post by Bleeding Star » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:02 am

I suspect their involvement would be peripheral. If they're going to be involved in a more comprehensive manner, I'd be much more exciteder. But I'm happy to be corrected - my information is largely regurgitated fourthhand rumours and figments of my imagination.

Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Post by Kwayne » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:37 pm

At this point, though, how do we expect F&P to assist with development? What should they tell about a universe that is barely even resembles their own creation anymore, or a gameplay mechanism that is already apparent from SC1-2?