About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!

Post by Mormont » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Huh, I actually didn't realize it was possible to get Avatars before a certain event. So many different orders you can do things in.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Yeah, the freed and hybridized Chmmr is all that you need. Therefore the Sun Device, therefore the Syreen Revenge (with the Syreen crew pod before that), and before that knowledge of what the Mycon Egg case fragment is, and a piece of one....

Quite a bit of mission already successfully achieved.....

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:48 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Dec 20, 2157 – HyperSpace {464.0 : 027.9} – Red Alert

A pair of Yehat Terminators approached our position, and the klaxons blaring loudly indicated that they had their shields raised (at regular 3-second intervals) and their weapons fully armed. At first, I thought that maybe they hadn’t received the memo yet, so we opened communications, expecting things to simmer down quickly once they realized that we had a confirmed Shofixti Scout on our side, but they did not reciprocate as anticipated.

Instead, their captain, a proud member of the Feep-Eeep Starship Clan, was intent on destroying us, completely disregarding everything we had accomplished, rather turning it around and blaming us for what they termed the “Bloody Wars of Ascension” (from his point of view, why wouldn’t they call it the War of Dissension?) which brought to an end the 2,000 years of peace they had achieved amongst the clans.

I suppose this was to be expected; some Yehat were going to unite together in accusing the Queen of corruption by her joining sides with the Ur-Quan, while others were going to remain loyal to a fault, which of course would make us the perpetrators of fostering an uprising directed towards the high perch throne of her majesty. Oh well.

And there was no talking our way out of this one, I might add, but I tried nonetheless, asking how their little revolution was unfolding for them, and they retorted in a hostile, sarcastic posture that their victory was near. I even tried apologizing for striking the match that has ignited this whole mess faster than an overactive Shofixti colliding into a Dreadnought! But alas, it was equally as useless, and their words semi-convincingly rested the burden of the pain and suffering that each side is enduring squarely upon my shoulders.

We tried to depart ways peacefully, but in hindsight, bidding them farewell while calling them royalist fools may have not been the best move, and so they moved in to attack! One of our Chmmr Avatars was more than a match for the two Terminators, but it still took some damage to the hull and losing around 25% of their crew during the skirmish, and they’ll also need to rebuild a ZapSat.

As soon as we re-entered HyperSpace, sensors were detecting more emerging bogeys coming from all sides! Without knowing which were friends and which were foes, we needed to decide where to go… and fast!

The nearest star is Delta Serpentis, so we have set course for it at maximum speed with a few other Yehat tailing us, but I can’t be certain if they’re bring us friendly greetings… or charged up Pulse Cannons! We will continue towards Delta Serpentis. Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log – Dec 21, 2157 – Delta Serpentis – Yellow Alert

We have just entered the Delta Serpentis System, and we have actually explored this system during our first time through the Serpens Cluster, about a year and a half ago, if memory serves. I even remember this was the system in which we approached various Yehat patrols, whereas I attempted to guilt trip them into facing their shame to convince them to help us. Sometimes they felt very bad and tried to give us some helpful advice… and other times they’d simply open fire and I do specifically recall towards the end of our stay in this system running for our lives high-tailing it out of here! Hopefully, we won’t be repeating those events.

Sensors are showing 2 Yehat groupings in orbit around the 4th planet as well as the 6th, with the latter being a little closer:

We will set an intercept course for the nearest group of Terminators. We are going to Red Alert. Zelnick out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Captain’s Log – Dec 21, 2157 – Delta Serpentis – Near Planet 6 – Red Alert

We approached the pair of Terminators circling around the 6th planet, but once they entered range, the ship’s computer automatically raised our shields, recognizing that the Yehat had all of their weapon systems fully active. I knew immediately we were encountering more Yehat from the blindly loyal followers of the Yehat Queen.

To add to that, we’ve already quickly established something of a reputation for ourselves, a bad one at that, and the Yehat have even dubbed me “The Human Agitator.” Hmmm… kind of has a nice ring to it, although it kind of reminds me of a washing machine.

They told us we would regret this little scheme we’ve devised to split apart the very fabric of Yehat culture, but their reaction to our other inquiries were surprisingly similar to their previous responses.

We proceeded to battle stations and, just as before, we sent in another one of our Avatars to handle the terrifying pterodactyl terror twins, and they took care of the Terminators with a fervent quickness, but it sustained slightly more damage than the previous Chmmr vessel… around 30-35%, but it’s difficult to get a casualty report from them in the meantime, considering we’re currently on our way out of the system with the other Yehat contingent on a direct intercept course right behind us!

Gosh, and I was hoping this time through this system was going to turn out better than the last time! I’m not sure where I’ll be taking my next vacation (assuming for the moment I live long enough to enjoy one, that is), but I know it will certainly NOT be anywhere near Delta Serpentis!

I know it’s a long shot, but I’d like for us to head towards the Yehat homeworld. I know it sounds crazy, but perhaps if I could get an audience with their leaders there, possibly even the Queen herself, then maybe we could sort all of this un-fun war stuff out before more lives are lost!

Therefore, we shall set course for Gamma Serpentis. Captain out.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:30 pm

I'll repeat myself:
krulle wrote:You naughty boy. meddling with internal affairs of independent nations.
How dare you!
BRaak!
[And add spoilers - redacted by D999]

Anyway, since you have lost crew, standard procedure is using the time portal anyway.
Go ahead and tell me if I missed something back when I played it....

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:50 pm

krulle wrote:I'll repeat myself:
krulle wrote:You naughty boy. meddling with internal affairs of independent nations.
How dare you!
BRaak!
[And add spoilers - redacted by D999]
Who’s been the naughty boy now, krulle? :lol:

(Meanwhile…)
Captain’s Log – Dec 23, 2157 – Gamma Serpentis – Yellow Alert

As soon as we had cleared Delta Serpentis we had to dodge all of the numerous incoming Yehat squadrons that were homing in on our position once we had fully reached HyperSpace. Fortunately, we had adequate space between us and the surrounding ships that we managed to squeeze between the nearest two and proceeded on course to our destination.

We then arrived here in Gamma Serpentis a couple of days later. This is yet another system that brings back bad memories for me, but I must make sure we leave no stone unturned as we seek out any possible solution to the growing conflict of Yehat against fellow Yehat.

System scanners are showing three Yehat patrols; one is circling the 5th planet, another around the 2nd and the last group is orbiting the homeworld, possibly all serving as additional lookout sentries in case of our arrival, since they seem to be aware of our recent movements and haven’t been looking too fondly on us as of late. So far, this isn’t looking very promising.

We will attempt to avoid the Yehat patrols as we make our way for the Yehat homeworld. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – Supplemental:

Well, I called it. I guess I should’ve known this was a bad idea from the get-go. The Yehat nobles at the homeworld were surprised that we actually had the gall to approach the High Perch of their Queen, and they informed us right off the bat that we would not be finding any of the rebel Zeep Zeep Starship Clans here, but we would only find our deaths, courtesy of the endless tons and tons of clan folk that are loyal to the crown… well, I guess a crown would look pretty awkward sitting atop of the Yehat Queen’s crest on her head, so maybe it’s more like a tiara or something.

Anyway, they told us that our brainless foolishness meant we had just prescribed our own death warrant, and they attacked! We moved the Vindicator towards the other side of their home planet, shielding us from the Yehat’s assault as we used the emergency warp out and escaped. We have set course for the edge of the system, but I haven’t given the navigator a course plot for us to direct ourselves, so we’re still operating on manual drive for the meantime, with Yehat hot on our trail! Yikes!

But I wonder… where should we go? It seems that everywhere we go we’re running into nothing but her majesty’s royal subjects bent on our destruction! I suppose we may run into some Yehat friends by random chance once we get back into HyperSpace, but I’m not very confident about the prospect of continuing further battle engagements with loyalist groups.

Well, at any rate, we’re going to do our darndest to track down any more Yehat from the Zeep Zeep clan, even if that means knocking on the doors of every planet in this constellation and blasting our way through the Yehat redcoats in the process! ¡Viva la revolución! Uh, I mean… Fada Beò an Revolution!

We are nearing the edge of the system. This is probably about to get very tricky. Zelnick out.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:39 pm

I was referring to the bit of conversation with the Starfaring clans you had, which got redacted too.

From that I made some conclusions, which I'm sure you did yourself too.

But indeed, it ended too spoilery, which you're trying to find out yourself anyway.
So, I was stupid, and neglected to observe the main rule for this thread. Sorry.

Anyway, good luck in your travels...
Last edited by krulle on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Just so you know, the split spheres each have their own alignment, rebels or loyalists. Since they overlap pretty closely, this usually means a pretty mixed bag across most of Yehat space (you unlucky duck, you, only finding loyalists so far). However, the edges on either side are composed of only one faction. Rebels are on the left, loyalists are on the right. This should improve your odds of finding who you want to.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Captain’s Log – Dec 25, 2157 – Alpha Scuti – Status: Green

We escaped from Gamma Serpentis, but there were more Yehat vessels waiting outside the system. Fortunately, the closest of them were still several sectors outward, coming from the vicinity of Beta Serpentis, with others coming from Epsilon (upspin) and Alpha (downspin), so we had to act fast before they were within contact range! Yikes!

There were many considerations to uh… consider. First of all, since the first time we presented the Yehat with the Shofixti was between the stars Iota Serpentis and Capella, that could mean that the darker purple ring indicates the rebel groups of the Zeep Zeeps on the left-hand side with those still loyal to the Queen (like the Feep Eeeps) in the lighter purple circle on the right side. Interesting.

That would mean that the large section in which they overlap one another would be the main area where the revolution is taking place, with Yehat skirmishes happening in abundance all around us. Granted, if we stuck around and attempted to contact one of these groups, there’s probably about a 50/50 chance that one of those would be Yehat on our side. However, even if that were the case, the time that it would take for us to re-establish HyperDrive would allow for other Yehat to intercept us, and we may not be so lucky the next time. From there, it’s easy to see we’d be facing an uphill battle. Therefore, the other alternative would be to locate Yehat on better terms, and I’d rather fight a few on an island than a fleet at sea, so we’d better find ourselves an island!

I checked through the star charts, and although we’ve explored most of the Serpens Cluster, there were still a few stars that we had to bypass since we ended up moving upward and out of Yehat territory into VUX space once we felt we had overstayed our welcome:

The closest of those stars was the Alpha Scuti System, so we set course and proceeded at max speed, easily outrunning and putting some distance between us and the pursuing Yehat ships.

Alpha Scuti is an orange dwarf star with one medium-sized green planet in the cold zone. Our sensors aren’t showing any Yehat in far orbit, but the scanners could be overlooking ones closer to the planet, so we’ll check it out to be sure. We’ll also scan the planet just in case we find something cool, you know, like some kind of Yehat Rebel Base or something! Hey, you never know!

We will set course for the planet. Captain out.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:50 pm

As we approached the planet, short-range sensors revealed it has 2 moons: 1 green & 1 red. However, no Yehat ships have been detected, so this system seems clear.

The planet itself is still in closest proximity, so we will continue on course for it. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Dec 26, 2157 – Alpha Scuti 1

We have just entered orbit of a Magnetic World with class 6 tectonics and 7 base metal deposits.

But since there aren’t any magnetic monopoles or lifeforms detected, we’ll forego sending the lander down and check out the two moons instead, starting with the green innermost. Captain out.
Captain’s Log – Dec 26, 2157 – Alpha Scuti I-a

We have entered orbit of a Green World with class 3 weather and class 5 tectonics. I’m having engineering and science teams double check our planetary sensors to make sure they’re all working properly and rule out any possible malfunctions, since I find it very odd that this green world doesn’t show any traces of life nor even a single deposit on our elemental mineral scans. Curious. The Science Officer assures me that everything is working fine, it just so happens this world is devoid of sizable deposits of any kind, but I had him autoscan the surface several times just to be sure.

We have set course for the 2nd moon. Zelnick out.
Captain’s Log – Dec 26, 2157 – Alpha Scuti I-b

We have arrived at the last stop in this system, and this moon is a Carbide World with class 4 tectonics and 6 common minerals, but as it was with the other worlds, there aren’t any rebel bases showing up on energy scans, so we’ll be moving on.

I checked my custom starmap that I keep in my quarters to keep my own personal records of our travels, but as you can see, it has seen better days, and adding the 2 newly formed spheres of influence, coupled with the charted routes from when we previously explored this region, has left it in a jumbled state of disarray:

I’m going to check in with stellar cartography and dig through my old logs and see if we can get a fix on which places we’ve been to before and make a sound determination for where to explore next. Zelnick out.

Navigation and stellar cartography worked together and we’ve extracted the information from our flight recorders and log entries to piece together where we’ve previously visited, indicated as such by the thin, white line:

The thicker yellow line shows our projected course as we continue in search of Yehat rebels and possibly any other pertinent materials, which may or not lie within these next unexplored systems:

Delta Scuti –> Zeta Serpentis –> Zeta Scuti –> Epsilon Scuti –> Pollux –> Gamma Scuti

As a quick aside, interstellar sensors also show the Ilwrath starting to move through Umgah territory in the Orion Constellation.

We will set course for Delta Scuti. Captain out.