The Chmmr Avatar

This is the place to talk about all things Star Control.

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Re: The Chmmr Avatar

Post by The Troglodyte » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:52 pm

krulle wrote:BTW, have you ever tried to find the maximum speed the zapsats can fly?
Using the gravity whip, the Avatar itself can fly faster than its ZapSats.

There's no real tactical use for that, though....
I did monitor it a few times during my simulations. Whenever the Avatar passed close to the planet, the orbit of the ZapSats would alter, as if the entire ring shifted as they fell behind, but sometimes, those times when the planet pass was extremely close, it would affect one of the ZapSats moreso, that being the one which had crossed over the planet during its orbit, and it would get bumped back towards the next ZapSat following its trail, and then they would rejoin their synchronous orbits as they finished clearing the planet.
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:27 pm

It is most obvious on those rare occasions when an Avatar gets involved in one of those super ricochets. The ship ends up repulsing away so fast that the Zapsats can end up trailing behind it by half a fully zoomed out screen, which is pretty crazy to watch. They also end up in a very long, thin oval as they try to catch up. Of course, trying to repulse like this on purpose is basically impossible to set up, so it's only something you might see by chance.

The Troglodyte
Slylandro gasbags

Post by The Troglodyte » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Challenge accepted!
“He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him! I’ll chase him ’round the moons of Nibia and ’round the Antares maelstrom and ’round Perdition’s flames before I give him up!” ― Khan Noonien Singh

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:34 am

I should have known better than to make that kind of claim. Don't spend too much time on it please. :P-smf