Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: IS THERE A WAY I CAN PLAY SC 1 vs others on the net?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:00 am 
Hunam adventurer

IS THERE A WAY I CAN PLAY SC 1 vs others on the net? please help thanks.

Post subject: Re: IS THERE A WAY I CAN PLAY SC 1 vs others on the net?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:54 am 
Arilou wiseguy

SC2 super melee is a lot easier to do this with, as well as finding people to play against. Are you dead set on SC1 only?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:33 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

No strategic element… I'd definitely like to see any of those SC1-clone projects brought up to playability. I wonder if any of them left source code that could be actually useful.

OR… this is a little wild, but…

What if someone modified UQM so it could take a command line argument to start up directly into net melee with someone at a specified IP address each with a specified lineup of ships a la SC1, and then report the result of the matchup to the calling program? Then people could write the strategy client separately and just call UQM for the melee portion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:16 pm 
Hunam adventurer

yes this would be good death 999. getting ip addresses and joining games one by one seems difficult, however it could be achieved by having a topic containing posts of open games and of players ip address, if enough people were willing to participate.
But i agree, even better would be some sort of server-software for sc1 or 2 (better to me sc1) where a player can advertise a connection and wait, join open games, or even participate in multi-player tournaments. Unfortunately my programming skills are limited and i could not create this on my own.
Shiver, i downloaded "uc masters", and i am having terrible trouble just figuring out how to get a usb gamepad to work in the game. The control setup is so confusing i can't even get a mele to start! I find sc1 to be greatly superior to uc masters all around, according to, graphics, sound, layout, controls... everything. I also favor the sega genesis version of sc1 over the pc version. Kega fusion runs it well, with net support, but this is only one vs one via ip address.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:52 pm 
Hunam adventurer

Death 999 wrote:
No strategic element… I'd definitely like to see any of those SC1-clone projects brought up to playability. I wonder if any of them left source code that could be actually useful.

What if someone modified UQM so it could take a command line argument to start up directly into net melee with someone at a specified IP address each with a specified lineup of ships a la SC1, and then report the result of the matchup to the calling program? Then people could write the strategy client separately and just *call* UQM for the melee portion.

It's a good idea. I started writing something like this back in high school, but quickly realized I was in over my head and didn't get beyond some rough starmaps.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 am 
Hunam adventurer

I think it would be a smoother play experience to just fork UQM and add the tactical thing directly into it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:18 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Not necessarily. I couldn't do something that complicated in C, but in Java it'd merely be a fair amount of work. But I wouldn't want to try to rearrange UQM to be a Java 'native library' - better to just call it with appropriate arguments and wait for the response.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:52 pm 
Hunam adventurer

Also UQM's source is known for being very hard to follow and work with.

There are a decent number of differences between SC1 and SC2's melee that affect the balance. The arena is smaller and the Androsynth blazer form is harder to control, for example, so the hybrid solution Death 999 mentioned still wouldn't be a one-to-one simulation. It is, however, much more practical than rebuilding Melee or fitting a completely new game mode into UQM. Unfortunately the files from my aborted teenage attempt at a hybrid are long gone, and might not be of any use even if they weren't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:54 am 
Slylandro gasbags

Death 999 wrote:

What if someone modified UQM so it could take a command line argument to start up directly into net melee with someone at a specified IP address each with a specified lineup of ships a la SC1, and then report the result of the matchup to the calling program? Then people could write the strategy client separately and just call UQM for the melee portion.

I've been thinking of the exact same thing. But am too lazy to dive into the UQM code to do it :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:55 am 
Slylandro gasbags

Ogo3142 wrote:
I think it would be a smoother play experience to just fork UQM and add the tactical thing directly into it.

You're a programmer? Cool! How much time do you think to make it?