Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1035 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:11 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Nov 16, 2157 - Alpha Tauri 1 (Ilwrath Homeworld) - Red Alert

There were no more stray Ilwrath ships moving in to prevent us from reaching their home planet; they all were apparently too busy packing their little webbed bags for their big trip to Draconis to eliminate the Thraddash. As soon as we began to enter orbit, hundreds of ships uncloaked all around us, preventing our escape!

They welcomed us with pleasure in a delightful manner, which of course turns the stomach more than it flatters, knowing their joy comes from inflicting pain and causing death. They told us we had arrived just in time for something they call “The Festival of a Thousand Screams.” Great! Perfect timing… And as one might have expected, the main festivities include cracking us open like eggs and pouring our insides into a giant frying pan for their gods.

Speaking of gods, the Ilwrath priesthood was more than willing to tell us all about Dogar and Kazon, and like many religions, they believe that Dogar and Kazon have an omnipresence all throughout the universe, and their belief that everything meets Dogar and Kazon, since everything eventually dies, reinforces this fatalistic viewpoint that the Ilwrath relish with each and every moment of their lives… and deaths I suppose.

We asked them to give us more background information concerning their religion, and inquired if they ever had any good gods, and they indeed have had many gods in the past, but that was done away with a long time ago when the ruling priest caste decided to get rid of any other god besides Dogar and Kazon, and the very foundation of Ilwrath society rallied around in approval of this notion and over time has shaped their entire race into the most loyal, evil-crazed adherents we know today.

It’s blatantly obvious to see that the Ilwrath priesthood may have been granted too much power, and it would also seem that the only source that can keep the priest dudes in check is hearing from their gods “in spider” (as opposed to “in person”) speaking holy commandments through HyperWave channel 44. I’m not sure how it all went down when all of this channel 44 stuff first happened, but it all seemed to have occurred about 8 years ago when the Umgah first used their curious ’Caster to get the Ilwrath’s attention, proclaiming to be their gods to get them to do their bidding… for their own amusement.

Their devotion is not confined to inflicting suffering on others, they themselves even undergo many different types of rituals of pain, which can sometimes (or probably often) result in severe injury or possibly even death. It kind of reminds me of Klingon pain rituals, but instead of jabbing pain sticks into each other or cutting your palm and sharing blood with your fellow comrade via a firm handshake, the Ilwrath will lose entire limbs during their demonstrations of love for the D.K. twins, but they eventually grow them back like a lizard’s tail. I wonder if Ilwrath children put their dismemberments under their pillow for the “Leg Fairy”?

As far as the Ur-Quan are concerned, the Ilwrath really didn’t seem to mind being conquered by them in the end, since the Ur-Quan in-turn made them into battle thralls and improved their technology, making their murderous ways more effective and even more satisfying for them during their involvement in the War with the Alliance. But that’s about where all the love between the spiders and their conquering caterpillars ends… The Ilwrath actually consider the Ur-Quan to be too “nice and kind” to please Dogar and Kazon. Well, in fairness, the Ur-Quan directed the Ilwrath to cease their plans of creating “Mountains of Flesh”, where they likely would’ve killed all of us humans, and they had to forego their plans and empty out their cargo ships filled stem to stern with thousands of altars, gowns and knives for all of the sacrificial fun. I can imagine “Altars R’ Us” and “Blood Gowns Boutiques” got great business that week!… followed by an equally long line of Ilwrath in the merchandise return aisle after the Ur-Quan threw up the genocidal stop sign.

Then the Ilwrath decided to give us a rare treat, a glimpse into their hideous and violent customs in the form of allowing us to witness a birthing ceremony. The announcement brought in a flood of Ilwrath from the outside, and the scraping of the scurrying Ilwrath legs against the floors, walls and ceilings could be heard as all of the Ilwrath fortunate enough to make it within the hatchery chamber gathered around, many clung suspended from the ceiling overhead, and the chittering sound of them clicking their mandibles together echoed throughout as they pressed in towards the center that held the numerous eggs, some of which were already pulsating and convulsing giving every indication that they could burst forth at any moment.

The priestly ones were easy to detect, and not because they wore flowing robes or carried scepters around or other usual priestly things as one might expect, but they still stood out from the rest. All the other Ilwrath were pressing in against each other, vying for a better position to set at least one or two pair of their many eyes towards the slightly recessed area where all of the eggs lay, but none attempted to enter the row directly behind the eggs’ nook that made up the priests, but instead gave them a wide berth with the massive mob flailing all around them.

The priests, about a dozen in total, loomed over the hatchery, and each of them held a smaller Ilwrath located directly in front of them clutched tightly with their appendages, and while all of the other Ilwrath in the room rubbed their forelegs together anxiously in anticipation, the priests rubbed the bristly hairs of their lower legs on the backs of hindlegs of their respective smaller, likely younger Ilwrath disciples, and the priests also kept the tips of their lower abdomens firmly pressed against the back ends of their devoted votary servants as they looked on with undivided attention.

Then, the first egg sac cracked, and the shrieking and crackling sounds grew quickly into an uproar of sheer madness, and many of the eggs began to bounce as their live contents became eager to emerge, and as if they were cued to proceed as such, the Ilwrath all began bouncing up and down as well -- all except the priests, whom seemed contented at watching intently while stroking their submissive subjects. Fights amongst the Ilwrath attendees had already broken out as several of the combatants rolled around on top of the crowd like tandem body surfers. The gorging had begun indeed!

Many species on earth and other worlds, especially those of the insectoid world, have numerous offspring at once, since so many of those early life are susceptible to perish very early on, either in the form of predators or terrain hazards, and many have even been known to be subjected to cannibalism from within their family, including some species of mamma bears, amphibians, reptiles, fish and many others -- and yes… spiders too. But it’s not usually the children eating each other.

Everything became a blur… A loud, mind-numbing, violent and insidious blur. The eggs expelled a bubbly white and yellowish foam as each hatchling emerged from the massive pile of eggs numbering in the hundreds… possibly thousands. As they did, the seconds born Ilwrath instinctively turned on one another, biting and attacking each other, their newly formed exoskeletons still soft, therefore offering little resistance to any damage inflicted, and more assorted bodily fluids began to join the egg juice in the form of much frothy blood mingling into what had clearly become an orgy of simultaneous birth and death. At this rate, not even half of the babies were going to make it, but it seemed like that was how nature, the Ilwrath’s nature that is, intended it.

Occasionally, some of the Ilwrath couldn’t help themselves and would reach in and scoop up some of the unhatched eggs or newly born hatchlings with their appendages and toss them into the air as others would fight over the remains, shoving them with their appendages and mandibles into their mouths. At this point, even the priests couldn’t control themselves and some would motion for their confined servants to grab a hatchling that had ventured astray and chomp on it like popcorn as they continued to enjoy the ceremony. Another acolyte entered the hatchery confines with a large mesh bag and began shoveling the remaining hatchlings into it, as the loud screams began to lower into wails and groans, like someone who had just finished enjoying a large feast, and the fullness that it brought was both painful and satisfying. The sack of kids was then carried off and out of the ceremony chambers, possibly to be taken into some kind of incubation room to allow the survivors to mature properly.

As the ceremony drew to a close, I made a passing comment about how evil they are, and the high priest retorted “Of course we are evil!”, almost as if he was insulted by the matter-of-factness of my observation. I pressed a little further, questioning that if it is their customary practice in society to behave in an evil manner, then aren’t they all, in accordance with their culture, being good? I mean, they all must work together cooperatively for survival, so I assume the farmers drive the tractors, bail the hay and feed the proverbial chickens, while the factory workers meld and construct using their tools of their trade, vigorously working on installing giant flamethrowers on their starships, but they both clock out to go to the next bloody sacrifice or pain ceremony, and this would be their lifestyle routine… although I’m sure life insurance prices are through the roof!

The leader became confused by my remarks as he momentarily contemplated my words, pondering that they could consider themselves good by their own set of standards, but this brief installment of hesitation I inadvertently caused set the Ilwrath’s temper into a sudden fervent rage, calling us blasphemers, accusing us of angering Dogar and Kazon. They have terminated communications and have become invisible, so I should probably end this log entry.

We are going to battle stations! Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:29 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

The Troglodyte wrote:
Their devotion is not confined to inflicting suffering on others, they themselves even undergo many different types of rituals of pain, which can sometimes (or probably often) result in severe injury or possibly even death. It kind of reminds me of Klingon pain rituals, but instead of jabbing pain sticks into each other or cutting your palm and sharing blood with your fellow comrade via a firm handshake, the Ilwrath will lose entire limbs during their demonstrations of love for the D.K. twins, but they eventually grow them back like a lizard’s tail. I wonder if Ilwrath children put their dismemberments under their pillow for the “Leg Fairy”?

And now you know why that pilot image only has 5 legs. Lovely, no?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:13 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Draxas wrote:
And now you know why that pilot image only has 5 legs. Lovely, no?

Even back when the makers created Star Control 1 they knew that any Ilwrath would willingly lose half of their legs in a fight for the honor of flying the Avenger, as long as they have strong enough mandibles for pulling the hellfire spout lever left over! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

Well, yes, the Ilwrath undoubtedly tear the legs off each other as well. They are evil, after all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 am 
Arilou wiseguy

Seeing that space in space ships is usually rare, and space ships are cramped, it may even be a requirement to become a captain/pilot.
You're smaller with less limbs, and lighter.
Thus making it a win-win for the engineers who have to fit a pilot and make the ship light, maneuverable, small enough to not be a large target, yet offer sufficient room for the crew to be able to do the necessary things....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1035 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104