Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:24 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alvarin wrote:
April First at the Umgah system. I wonder what could possibly go wrong...

Wow! I didn’t even notice that! What an interesting coincidence!… But I’m sure nothing could possibly go wrong, but let’s go ahead and see for ourselves:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Apr 4, 2157 - Beta Orionis - Near Planet 2 - Red Alert

There’s no more Umgah ships left… at least none within our interplanetary long-range scanner’s range. We’ve sat idle in space for nearly half a day at full alert and haven’t seen any more hostile Drones on sensors as we continue repairs to our vessel and the rest of the fleet, and I’ve finally had adequate time to review the battle reports and make a formal log entry, but rest assured, much has happened in the past several days, and most of it… has been quite unpleasant.

A pair of Umgah Drones was to be our first contact, and I kept an optimistic outlook when the Umgah first appeared on our viewscreen and laughed loudly and greeted us heartily, saying how surprised they were to see us humans again, even though they admitted they had never actually seen one in person (for lack of a better term) for themselves. Their visual appearance is disgusting and comical all at the same time and, in hindsight, it’s kind of like them… well, sort of.

“Blob” is definitely a sufficient word to describe them, as they look like a large, lumpy amorphous mass of pinkish gelatinous flesh with eyes, mouths and tentacle-like appendages in assorted shapes, sizes and with varying amounts of each, but usually in numerous quantities; especially the eyes, of which at least 5 or 6 of their captain’s eyes were constantly staring at me, while the other ones could continue to look around at the rest of their crew, plus the side panels, and the ceiling, and read a book, and I’m pretty sure he/she/it was probably sitting on a few of their own eyeballs as well. It makes me wonder… what would it be like to look in every direction all at once? Curious.

The same went for their many mouths, but as it spoke, it appeared that the central one facing my general direction was the main one being used, presumably so we could hear better, or perhaps also so it could simultaneously eat a cheeseburger or something while we talked, and I also noticed how its tentacles wrapped around different bulbous, fleshy modules in rows and sections all around it, and its finger-like appendages at the tips felt and periodically tugged on them. In fact, the entire interior of the craft appeared organic in nature, and one of the doorways in the background looked like an aortic valve of the human heart. Intriguing.

However, the content of their speech being processed through our linguistic buffers seemed disjointed, but what really bothered me was the confusing response options our translation computer offered, so I chose from the selection very carefully:

We told them about our ideals for freeing ourselves from the tyranny of the Ur-Quan, and they agreed to the point of liking the idea of freedom, but mostly from the angle of being free to subject other aliens to their vicious pranks and such, and as an example, they shared their plans of wanting to drop a large planetoid into the ocean of an assumed Thraddash planet (based on our conversations with the Melnorme and Spathi) in the Draconis region. Not exactly a bucket of water perched precariously atop a door for an unsuspecting victim, huh?

Seeing an opportunity for amicable relations, due to their seemingly laid back nature, I asked if there was any chance that we could be friends, and they promptly accepted our suggestion, claiming they were coming in close to properly greet their new friends, but it was only a rouse so they could move in and attack! Sneaky blobby bastards!

We destroyed the pair with one of the Orz ships, which took only a few casualties from the Drone’s Antimatter Cone, but also a few additional losses came from hand-to-hand combat after they had boarded.

Suddenly, there were more Umgah ships coming at us from all sides, some from the innermost world, while others came from a nearby gas giant, but we stood our ground and made no attempt to retreat; one way or another, these guys were going to either cooperate or suffer the consequences and get blasted into the blob afterlife!

We opened communications with the next group, this time a contingent of 4 Drones, and they teased me, referring to me (or my mate, as it were) as “old fluid sacks” but I was not amused in the slightest, so I decided to use a more direct approach and propositioned for them to reveal their secrets, to which they complied and explained that the Arilou had found a dying Talking Pet in the wreckage of an Ur-Quan Dreadnought on the surface of a planet in Alpha Pavonis. The Arilou couldn’t do anything to heal the injured creature, so they brought it to the Umgah to see if they could help. Hmmm… perhaps the Umgah are very advanced in the fields of biology and/or medicine. Interesting.

We tried to leave without further incident, but to no avail -- the Umgah announced that “here come best part” which just so happens to be another attack. It’s strange that they’re so willing to talk and joke around with us, and even reveal little tidbits of information, but they’re equally content in trying to kill all of us! Crazy freaks!

This time we sent in the Lexington, and at first it had good success, destroying the first pair of Drones with relative ease, but the third ship warped in facing the opposite direction, so the Drone activated its retro-propulsion engines and hurtled itself across space with tremendous velocity, stopping abruptly right off the starboard bow with the Cruiser drifting directly towards their ship and soon the back half of the ship was totally engulfed within their field of destructive antimatter particles, whose beauty of sparkling rainbow colors is only juxtaposed by its deadly power that began to tear the Lexington apart before it could veer off, and it was barely able to clear the cone in time, marginally avoiding destruction, although its rear engine nacelles were practically ripped off the ship, and they barely even had enough power to get enough distance from the Umgah in order to activate the emergency warp-out.

We sent in the next Nemesis, since it was fully-staffed, and they finished off the next 2 vessels with minimal casualties.

We were quickly met by another group, this time composed of 3 ships, who pretended at first that they couldn’t hear us and accused us of pulling a prank on them! Demented weirdoes! Unfortunately, our communications options hadn’t really changed, so I decided to go ahead and use the more hostile and intimidating choice where we accused them of being evil blobbies and demanded that they immediately surrender!… But, to my dismay, their only reaction was falling over themselves in an outpouring of laughter, saying that my joke was hilarious while they powered up their Antimatter Cones and zoomed in for another assault.

We chose to send in one of our new Stingers, but it failed to pull away in time when both ships were caught in a gravity well of the nearby gas giant, and the ZFP vessel found itself on the business end of the Umgah’s shredding weapon and was swiftly torn to pieces.

The Vindicator came roaring in for an avenging assault and obliterated the first ship, but the second one emerged and zipped backwards across our forward section, stopping adjacent to our flagship’s nose. We fired the hellbores in retaliation, but only the side cannon was positioned well enough to hit the Drone hard, but not hard enough to leave it completely disrupted, and we entered range of their weapon as we steered away, and our aft section took a good deal of antimatter damage, killing many of my crew in the process. Damn these heinous blobs!

We turned about and destroyed the Umgah ship, but the next ship tried the same tactic and hurled itself backwards towards us. Fortunately, we had just enough power in the weapon’s battery to deploy a full spread and the blast nailed the ship in zippy motion with full force, destroying it.

One last pair of Drones intercepted us, and I made one last ditch effort to bully them into compromising, swearing that I was indeed serious when I called them evil nasty blobs, but they only continued to respond by laughing maniacally as they charged into battle, laughing all the way.

Our flagship being down in manpower, I called upon Fwiffo and his ship the StarRunner, and although it took quite some time, they whittled down and took out both ships without any casualties, Spathi or otherwise. The Umgah aren’t the only species that have strategically employed tactical devices that are deployed in a backwards fashion!

If it weren’t for the deaths of my comrades, I might find the Umgah’s behavior funny, and it is indeed strange with a twisted perspective on humor, but I find it more confusing than amusing… not to mention it’s appalling. Simply put, these guys are mental. I can say with confidence that the Umgah have clearly demonstrated the double-meaning of the word “hysterical.”

We will resume course for the innermost planet. We are standing down Red Alert and switching to Yellow alert status. Captain out.

Last edited by The Troglodyte on Wed May 24, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:59 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Death 999 wrote:
BTW, once you've exhausted what's available of the Umgah conversation tree, which you definitely will soon, you're clear to read my kids' play log up to the first place I put spoiler tags in again. I did spoiler the mining report for one system you're not obviously headed to - not that it was that remarkable, just for purity's sake.

Thanks for letting me know! I didn't understand at first what you meant by placing tags on the mining report, but now that I've seen the post for myself, I get it now. I’ll try not to peak and gain any unwarranted mineral foreknowledge! ;)

(Meanwhile…)
Captain’s Log - Apr 5, 2157 - Beta Orionis - Near Planet 1 – Yellow Alert

Repairs are almost complete to the Vindicator and Lexington, although the Lexington’s aft section still looks like swiss cheese, but her navigational shielding should be able to maintain hull integrity, but they’ll have to get along with only a skeleton crew for now.

The Vindicator also had a sizeable chunk taken out of her butt, but fortunately, the onboard automated repair technology is amazing in its capabilities -- mechanized arms with tools at the ends simply emerge from the outside of the hull and started repairing the ship, kind of like a Borg Cube’s regenerating process, so it would seem that the ship can actually repair itself (I suppose I’ve never allowed it to remain damaged for long enough to see these hidden features of Precursor technology!) and now our flagship looks almost as good as new! The good folks at Starbase would be flabbergasted to know how she just recently went through a dense field of antimatter particles! (A little side note: For some strange, inexplicable reason the repairs only seem to occur as crew replacements arrive. That’s weird, but whatever.)

Crew replacements have also been brought over from the StarRunner, and additional crew went over to both Orz vessels to keep them at full strength (along with single replacements to the StarGazer and Tobermoon) in case we have another encounter with the Umgah, which will leave the StarRunner and Lexington out of commission for any battle engagements, but I’m sure I’ll get no objections from Captain Fwiffo.

We did, however, discover the Umgah Homeworld! My guess proved to be a prudent one, and at once we were surrounded by the large Umgah planetary fleet as we entered orbit of the innermost world.

Unfortunately, there were no additional communication choices available! What?! Now I’m totally confused, and a little frustrated… I had anticipated that perhaps since we had already talked with the Umgah inside this system, and since they had revealed to us about treating an injured Talking Pet they had received from the Arilou, then maybe they would be working on it here at their homeworld, and therefore, perhaps there would be inquiries that the Vindicator’s translation computer would present for me to ask them about so we could learn more on that, but NO!… there was nothing new to ask. Very confusing indeed!

Fortunately, the Vindicator could easily outrun them and their fleet, and we separated ourselves far enough from the nearest ship and activated the emergency warp-out unit to escape unscathed.

We actually ended up returning several more times (just to make sure they wouldn’t bring up anything new) but they just remained surprised that we kept coming back, and they maintained their attitude of maniacal hilarity and boisterous merriment, wondering if they would be successful at killing us this time around!

It now leaves me to concur that we’re possibly barking up the wrong tree… perhaps the Talking Pet isn’t here after all… maybe it could be located in another system in Umgah space… perhaps like some secret hospital (or laboratory as the case may be) on some special planet.

I’d really like to explore more and try to answer some of these questions, and possibly even by scouring the entire Umgah territory to try and uncover the whereabouts of this Talking Pet (which may even be at another planet within this system), but unfortunately, we are a bit pressed for time, since we need to head out to Circinus and Chandrasekhar in time by the 17th for the opening of the mysterious anomaly.

I also want to be there with a few days to spare in case something else turns up along the way, and furthermore, so we can study the whole surrounding area prior to the portal’s predicted emergence; something of which we need to pinpoint as well.

Maybe whenever we’re finished in that area of space, then perhaps we’ll head back out here to Orionis and continue where we left off.

We will set course towards Alpha Columbae. Zelnick out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Remind me again which artifacts you've collected 'till this point? I can't quite recall, and it seems like quite a lot of effort to look through the whole play-log in order to count them manually.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:35 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Quasispatial wrote:
Remind me again which artifacts you've collected 'till this point? I can't quite recall, and it seems like quite a lot of effort to look through the whole play-log in order to count them manually.

Oh, certainly Quasi! I have the Clear Spindle, Umgah Caster, Taalo Shield, Syreen Shuttle & 3 Egg Cases.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:41 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

The Troglodyte wrote:
Quasispatial wrote:

Oh, certainly Quasi! I have the Clear Spindle, Umgah Caster, Taalo Shield, Syreen Shuttle & 3 Egg Cases.

Right. Good to know. Means you'll miss a certain thing that can only happen if you don't have a specific one of those -and which would have been quite interesting to see your reaction to- but I suppose it can't be helped. And no, I'm not telling you anything about what this 'thing' is, because honestly, that's still spoilers for you. Maybe once you've finished your playthrough, hmm?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:16 pm 
Slylandro gasbags

Quasispatial wrote:
The Troglodyte wrote:
I have the Clear Spindle, Umgah Caster, Taalo Shield, Syreen Shuttle & 3 Egg Cases.

Right. Good to know. Means you'll miss a certain thing that can only happen if you don't have a specific one of those -and which would have been quite interesting to see your reaction to- but I suppose it can't be helped. And no, I'm not telling you anything about what this 'thing' is, because honestly, that's still spoilers for you. Maybe once you've finished your playthrough, hmm?

I’m not exactly sure which artifact that could be, but my guess would be the Taalo Shield, since its psychic immunity design may protect me from an outside source I may soon encounter, whereas not having said device may result in a different outcome, and there could be a connection with the Umgah’s patient in-waiting, or possibly the vortex hole I’m currently pursuing. Speaking of which…

(Meanwhile…)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Apr 11, 2157 - HyperSpace {074.5:644.7} - Near Alpha Columbae - Status: Green

As we approached Alpha Columbae, I ordered the helm to disengage the auto-pilot and we came to a halt on the downspin side of the star. So far, so good. We’ve arrived in the region where the portal should be appearing in just 6 days, and I’ve placed a time portal accordingly.

This should work out well, since after repeatedly warping out of the Umgah Homeworld we’re down to only 8 units of fuel left! Yikes! Fortunately, we’re well outside of Umgah territory, so I feel safe to go ahead and activate the Umgah ’Caster to summon the Melnorme for a fill-up while we wait for the spatial anomaly to appear.

We are activating the ’Caster at this time. Captain out.
Captain’s Log - Apr 14, 2157 - HyperSpace {051.5:650.2} - (Somewhere between Beta Chandrasekhar, Gamma Circini & Alpha Columbae) – Red Alert

Shortly after we sent out our transmission via the Umgah ’Caster, I consulted our records and navigational teams and we made our best attempt to triangulate the position and approximately determined where the dimensional anomaly should appear.

Since there’s a fairly large gap between all of the aforementioned constellations (Circinus, Columba & Chandresakhar) we’ve moved the fleet to coordinates [051.5:650.2], which is our best assessment as to where the portal will open.

As a separate experiment, I also wanted to see if the Melnorme would still arrive even if we moved away from the position where we originally sent the message, since whenever we’ve used the powerful broadcaster device before, we stayed stationary while awaiting the Melnorme.

Speaking of which, as we neared our destination, long-range interstellar sensors began picking up a few blips moving towards us. The science officer informed me of the situation, raising an interesting question, “Uh, Captain? Do the Melnorme ever send more than one Trader ship to meet with us? Because if not, some of those ships heading this way are not Melnorme!”

And it looks like he was right!:

They are hailing us. This should be interesting. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:15 pm 
Orz *camper*

Quasispatial wrote:

Erm... Considering that this game has been going on for over two years, (happy belated second anniversary, Trog) :D perhaps we shouldn't be making suggestions that will make him second-guess his actions? (Or seventeenth-guess?) :P I suggest we leave discussion of "what could have been" until Troglodyte (eventually) wins this game. :)

(Or maybe we could start a new thread about it? Hmm...)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:17 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Yes. Less hinting would be good.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:18 am 
Arilou wiseguy

Awww....

Majority decision? Apparently so.
I'll submit.

BTW, my kids started playing too. But we're playing the German version, which has some issues, as the Spathi text partly is absolutely wrong, im that we choose the spathi answer, but don't know what we said.....

Need to look into the files again.
(also for some reasom Cmdr Hayes forgot all his German files...)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:39 am 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Just ask for help from Gruber or Lydia at the starbase :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1017 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 102  Next