Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 2:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 830 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: About to try to beat Star Control 2...no spoilers!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:16 pm 
How about this?

Tormuse wrote:
But my favourite way to deal with them is to refit the flagship with a single Hellbore cannon in the nose and filling the entire ship with Dynamos and Shiva furnaces so you can just spam the area with hellfire. Surprisingly satisfying. :)

An interesting battle set-up, but what do you do about the cloaked ship as it attempts to sit between the 30° turning directions? Whenever I've tried battling the Ilwrath with the Vindicator, that's what they always do to me.

(Meanwhile)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Feb 5, 2157 - Procyon II - Yellow Alert

We arrived at the slave-shielded Chenjesu homeworld, and we attempted to scan the surface, mostly due to orbital protocol (and force of habit by our science officer), but besides the usual preliminary data, all of our scans bounced off per norm:

How do the sensors determine the planet’s weather and tectonic conditions, gravitational pull, temperature and atmospheric composition, even through the slave shield, but it can’t detect any life signs, energy signatures or whether it has minerals deposits or not? Confusing.

Well, we collectively held our breaths for a moment as the communications officer triggered the Umgah ’Caster, and its amplified sound frequency hummed throughout the entire ship in a high-pitched tone, like a baby bird giving out a loud cry for its dinner...

Suddenly, we were receiving a transmission from the planet below and before we knew it, the occupants of the surface were on our screen:

They still mostly resemble the Chenjesu, and it’s difficult to make out their exact appearance through the reddish glow of the slave shield, but I can begin to see some of the mechanical nature of the M:bots becoming incorporated in the crystalized mix. Interesting.

Their speech has certainly taken on a very robotic sound, and their slow and staggered voice was very dull and monotone, but it was at least very easy to understand. (Everything they say is also displayed in lowercase; something the dialogue transcriber (who has the unenviable task of typing everything they say for our records) was pleased with, describing it as “much better than those stupid Ilwrath who like to capitalize the first letter of every word!”)

The Melnorme had already brought us up to speed a good while back about how the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm were merging their two species to form a new, hybrid race that would, in due time, become powerful enough to directly take on the Ur-Quan forces. They had also informed us that we would need a HyperWave broadcasting system strong enough to penetrate the shield, and it looks as if ours sure did the trick! The Melnorme didn’t know how long it would take for this process to be completed, but they knew it would take quite a long time.

Speaking of “the process”, that was pretty much all the crystal robot guys would talk about; no matter what I said or asked, everything seemed to always circle back to “the process”… “The process” this, “the process” that -- you have interrupted “the process,” we can’t help you because we’re in the middle of “the process,” we can’t join you for tea, not because we we’re not capable of it, and not because we don’t like tea, but because we’re conducting “the process,” What’s your favorite kind of cheese? “Processed.” What’s your favorite kitchen utensil? A food “processor”. Who’s your favorite character from “Gilligan’s Island”? The “Processor.” Uh…that would be the “Professor.”

Anyway, although the Melnorme had given us good insights, we also received a fair amount of additional information for our brains to… uh, er… process. They told us how everything ended in the War from their viewpoint, and how they chose to be slave-shielded along with the Mmrnmhrm to execute their grand transformation, but it wasn’t solely due to the Ur-Quan combined might and their thralls that forced them to make this long-term decision. It actually had much to do with the Ur-Quan’s Sa-Matra, a giant battle platform, much larger than even our flagship, that laid waste to their whole fleet of Broodhomes without much of a problem, and seeing the level of devastation that would soon become inevitable, they decided to surrender before they were reduced to nothing but crystal shards.

Unfortunately, “the process” will take over thirty-five more years to accomplish, and that’s because they depend on the solar radiation from their sun to achieve the results, and the slave-shield is likely slowing down their ability to create the desired change any faster than the current rate. I asked if there was some way in which we could assist them in speeding things up for them, but they’re concerned while it may be possible, it may be extremely dangerous as well. But that being said, perhaps the Pkunk’s prophesy may come into play at some point:

“I gaze into all that will be. I follow the tiny thread that is you, Captain. I see shining rocks that sleep. They are annoyed. Someone is making a great explosion of light. They awaken! They are powerful. They face the one who disturbed them. Captain, that one wears your face.” – Pkunk

Curious. Hmmm… If I’m connecting the dots correctly, I’m hypothesizing that maybe the device that the Mycon possess which Tanaka witnessed in action giving off an incredible burst of light may very be what we need to accelerate the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm’s conversion quicker than over the three decades it’s predicted to take, by which time I can only morbidly (yet realistically) anticipate that there may be nothing left in this region of space by the time they finish the endeavor by natural/synthetic means. In fact, if the Kohr-Ah emerge the grand prize winners of the Sa-Matra and obtain the illustrious title of supreme galactic destroyers, they may even stop the Chenmhrm’s attempt at transmogrification dead in its tracks!

I asked if they could give me some advice on how best to go about defeating the Ur-Quan and their Sa-Matra, but the only thing they could offer was finding enough of a destructive force powerful enough to destroy a planet, and we’d also need to find something to distract the Ur-Quan while we use said device or bomb or whatever to blow up the Sa-Matra. Great, more stuff I have to go and find!

Fortunately, the Melnorme spoke of the Utwig, who possess some kind of superbomb that may be up to the task, considering that the Shofixti used a similar bomb device to cause their home star to explode!

But as far as finding distractions goes, I’m not really sure about that one. I suppose I’ll have to dress up some female Ur-Quan mannequins in sexy outfits and place them on the periphery of the Quan’s vision… and then we’ll move in while they’re distracted! Yeah, that should work!

Captain out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:36 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

The Troglodyte wrote:
Tormuse wrote:
But my favourite way to deal with them is to refit the flagship with a single Hellbore cannon in the nose and filling the entire ship with Dynamos and Shiva furnaces so you can just spam the area with hellfire. Surprisingly satisfying. :)

An interesting battle set-up, but what do you do about the cloaked ship as it attempts to sit between the 30° turning directions? Whenever I've tried battling the Ilwrath with the Vindicator, that's what they always do to me.

Drift crosswise. Try to be displaced directly along a cardinal direction to make gauging the center easier.

The Troglodyte wrote:
(Everything they say is also displayed in lowercase; something the dialogue transcriber (who has the unenviable task of typing everything they say for our records) was pleased with, describing it as “much better than those stupid Ilwrath who like to capitalize the first letter of every word!”)

but… but…

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:58 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

I always interpreted the lowercase only speech as a reflection of how faint even their crystal amplified broadcast was through the slave shield.

Considering how they speak in all caps later, this always seemed like an intuitive explanation to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:00 am 
Silly Supox

@Draxas: that may well be the case. Also, the Chenjesu have natural hyperwave casting abilities, as we learned from Cmdr. Hayes.
Maybe they are always so soft-spoken due to them hearing it all anyway, and out of consideration for other beings with the same capabilities, taking offense at the loudness on which we use our devices?

Re. cloaked Avengers:
Indeed, as Death proposed, drift lateral and shoot in the general direction of the Ilwrath. Easy RU.
With a Human Cruiser you can also be pretty effective (do not shoot single missiles, send them in batches - harder to evade, especially when flying in parallel lines and not behind each other), or the Backwards Utilized Tracking Torpedo (BUTT) by a certain race, who went from discovery of technology to living on the moon of their natural home planet within a handful of centuries only, and are thus rightly very proud of their cowardice.
Or find a technology that lets you drift on purpose. I'm pretty sure some alien will have it and may be willing to share it.

The Avenger is rather bad in defending incoming missiles, firstly due to its shape, second due to its inate tracking ability, when firing the flames to defend against incoming weapons, the snout automagically aims towards the oponent, and thus sometimes as a direct result away from the missile it wanted to flame down and aligned on before uncloaking.
(If I remember correctly:
Uncloaking through pressing the fire button -> ships changes aim towards opponent;
uncloaking through pressing the special button -> no change in aim)

Anything else the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm wanted to convey to you?
Like where the mother ark of the the Mmrnmhrm is, and what they need to repair it?
Or whether you can salvage it you repair other invaluable items you have and may come across?
Or to improve your own Vindicator?

The exact location of the Sa-Matra?
It's weaknesses, so that you may be able to slip through it's defenses and have a chance at trying to blow the Sa-Matra up?

Or are they just sending you on missions to do the dirty work for them?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 pm 
How about this?

It’s funny how my small reference to the lowercase styling’s of the crystal circuit-boards has drawn a little attention; it's not something I would’ve anticipated, but since I brought it up, I’d also like to add how I appreciate how the makers included various fonts and such to help personify the different beings you encounter: The Ilwrath has an evil-looking yet religious gothic style, while the Ur-Quan’s is orderly but attention-grabbing, the Probe’s is similar to the Chenjesu/Mmrnmhrm, but more computerized, and the Pkunk’s seems to drift along, just like them. It all really helps add to the mood of each race, and I’ve added it to the very extensive list of things I love about the game.

krulle wrote:
Anything else the Chenjesu and Mmrnmhrm wanted to convey to you?
Like where the mother ark of the the Mmrnmhrm is, and what they need to repair it?
Or whether you can salvage it you repair other invaluable items you have and may come across?
Or to improve your own Vindicator?

The exact location of the Sa-Matra?
It's weaknesses, so that you may be able to slip through it's defenses and have a chance at trying to blow the Sa-Matra up?

Or are they just sending you on missions to do the dirty work for them?

I returned to the planet several times and sounded my Umgah horn to see if they had anything else to add (major surprise, huh?) but they never mentioned the ark, my ship, specific objects that may help me, or the weaknesses or location of the Sa-Matra. Is there stuff I might be missing, or could there be event criteria I haven’t achieved yet?

Reviewing my own records, the only mentioning I’ve heard about the ark thus far was from Hayes early on:

“We didn’t really get much of a chance to learn about those mechanical beings, but I’ll tell you what I know. They are the product of a distant, unknown culture who sent a giant Factory-Ark into our region of space many centuries ago. The Mother-Ark (that’s what the Earth press called it) churned out millions of robots and finally broke down. I don’t know why the Mmrnmhrm didn’t repair the Mother-Ark, maybe they can’t. My personal guess as to why they were sent here is that they’re on the leading edge of a colonization project, and once the Mmrnmhrm have tamed enough new worlds, the genuine colonists -- whoever they are, will arrive and claim their due.” – Commander Hayes

And I have a good idea where to possibly find the Sa-Matra, as given by the Pkunk:

“[…] We have seen that in the center of this region of space, near stars that form the shape of a cup, and are in a constellation that begins with the letter C and ends with the letter S, and whose letters rearranged spell ‘Asteric’, two great armadas fight. […]” - Pkunk

Yes, yes… they’re all having trouble sleeping because of this shared dream of black and green ships fighting, and after 6 weeks of diligent work by the communications teams working alongside stellar cartography, they were able to determine the Pkunk just might be referencing the constellation Crateris... Well, that and the two mentionings of the Melnorme probably could’ve saved them some time:

“The Ur-Quan are presently at war with a race called the Kohr-Ah. They are fighting within a large spherical region of space centered around the Crateris star group. Although it is probably too early to tell, it would appear that the Kohr-Ah are winning.” - Melnorme

“[…] The Kzer-Za, the Ur-Quan who enslaved Earth, are fighting their ritual battle against the Kohr-Ah in a large area centered near the Crateris constellation. […]” – Melnorme

There must be a connection between Crateris and the Sa-Matra, whether it resides somewhere in there or if there’s a clue or something that I’ll find there, only time will tell. Once I can sufficiently stave off waves of any race that spells their name with 2 letters, a dash followed by 4 more letters, then I’ll investigate that more closely.

“Oooh! I’ve got it! The Erratics Constellation!” - Communications Officer

“There’s no such thing. And besides… that doesn’t start with a ‘C’.” – Stellar Cartography Assistant

“Darn-it! Oh well, back to the drawing board!” – Communications Officer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:29 pm 
How about this?

Captain’s Log - Feb 7, 2157 – Near Procyon II - Red Alert

We spent the next couple of days near the slave-shielded home of “the process”, occasionally dropping in and ringing their doorbell with our ’Caster device, seeing if they’d reveal anything new and useful, but they seemed more perturbed than eager to help since we were continuing to interrupt their arduous work; it must take a lot of concentration and effort on their part.

We even stopped by the nearby orbital platform to see if anything new could be achieved on returning to their automated space station, but our away team reported the exact same report as they did previously. Of course, to them they were giving the report for the first time ever so I shouldn’t be surprised it was identical to the one before.

We returned to Procyon II for one last visit before setting a course for Alpha Tucanae, but shortly after we had left orbit our short-range sensors suddenly detected an Ilwrath patrol approaching on an intercept course at high speed! Yikes! They came out of nowhere!! They must’ve either been hidden from our sensors upon system entry by hiding behind a planet or moon, or perhaps they were using their cloaking device all along!

Surprise!:

Whichever was the case, they were right on top of us so there wasn’t going to be an easy way out. We tried to avoid contact by hitting the thrusters into overdrive, but as soon as we made it outside planetary range, the Ilwrath were already entering weapon’s range. We tried to stall for time by hailing the lead vessel of three, but seeing their hideous faces on the viewscreen unleashed a flood of emotion which ran throughout my entire body as I recalled our previous dealings with them, my stomach began to feel queasy, and our feeble delay only bought us a few minutes before they had engaged us.

However, this time around we arrived much more prepared than before. We sent in the Hornet, but after destroying the first two ships and whittling down the third to a sparse crew, the commander ordered their ship to head straight in and finish off the last Avenger with a Tongue Attack, undoubtedly for style points. Well, and it worked… sort of. Unfortunately, as one might have predicted, the Avenger got in a lick of its own before its destruction, killing a few Z’s, F’s and P’s in the process.

I activated the time portal and called in Captain TikTok and instructed him to continue with the battle tactics of strafing from side to side when necessary to pinpoint the Ilwrath’s position since that worked really well, but this next time around he should refrain from implementing any tongue attacks during the battle, to which he denied ever doing so in the first place. Yeah, he’s still new to how this time travel stuff works. I explained that he hadn’t done so… that is, not yet anyway!... And I’d prefer to keep it that way! He promised to comply with my orders and I sent the Hornet back into battle and this time they had complete success without any casualties whatsoever! Sweet!

We will continue on course to Alpha Tucanae so we can hopefully make it in time to save the Zoq-Fot-Pik. Godspeed. Zelnick out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:21 am 
Silly Supox

Heck, yeah.
I was sending you on a false lead.
You should know by now that the Ur-Quan were using the Sa-Matra against thme Mrnmhrm and the Chenjesu at the end of the Alliance war.
So, they could not know where the ship will be parked, as it was is use the last time they "met" it...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:09 pm 
How about this?

krulle wrote:
Heck, yeah.
I was sending you on a false lead.
You should know by now that the Ur-Quan were using the Sa-Matra against thme Mrnmhrm and the Chenjesu at the end of the Alliance war.
So, they could not know where the ship will be parked, as it was is use the last time they "met" it...

krulle! You and your tricks! Always trying to send me on wild goose chases and whatnot! :lol:

(Meanwhile)
Captain’s Log – Feb 9, 2157 – Just Outside Procyon System {074.3:226.6} – Red Alert

We were just about to begin our long journey out to the Tucanae Constellation, but before we could even get up to top speed in HyperDrive, we were intercepted by a battle squadron of four Avengers!

Well, after our first skirmish from within the system, I figured this would be second verse, same as the first. We sent in the Wasp this time to take on the foursome, but they took some damage after destroying the second ship after a stray asteroid interfered with their attempt to regroup after delivering a full volley of antimatter particles, and part of their hull was scorched in the process.

I used the time portal and sent in the Hornet instead, but they suffered minor damage from some space flames after making an erroneous course “correction”, so I felt it was about time to bring in one of our fishbowls.

It looked as if the Orz would blow through the Avengers rather quickly, since the Nemesis can use the Howitzer’s rotating turret to fire its weapon while aiming down the port or starboard nacelles, switching to whichever was in proper congruence with the direction they needed to steer the ship while firing, or sometimes directly aft after centering the target.

I knew I should’ve followed my instincts and pulled the Nemesis out after it had destroyed the second ship, and definitely after the third (after a few close calls) but I thought maybe they’d make a clean sweep, since, after all, I remembered hearing a story about an old lady who swallowed a fish, and she swallowed that fish to eat the spider, but our fishies swallowed some clones instead, and then attempted to swallow an entire planet, but they bounced off and instead some Ilwrath had themselves a “fish fry”. Or maybe the Pkunk’s 'nursery rhyme' suits better:

“ […] Does the fish swallow the stone? Perhaps, but that is not the point. Is the stone round? Yes! Does it have little disgusting nodules on it filled with slimy viscous fluid? Only sometimes! […] ” - Pkunk

I would’ve sent in the StarRunner, but even if they had success, I didn’t want to deal with several weeks of anxiety attacks from Captain Fwiffo, who would probably wind up constantly calling me about having nightmares of the battle or Ilwrath torturing him and stuff. I also had similar trepidations about sending in one of our Cruisers, but not because of dealing with post-traumatic problems amongst their crews, but because the likelihood of a Cruiser destroying an Avenger without suffering casualties themselves was small.

After another attempt at sending in Fishbowl # 2, I finally got fed up with the repeated failures and sent in our powerhouse, the Vindicator, to see if she’d be more up to the task. Unfortunately, the auto-tracking systems were unable to pinpoint the Avenger’s position through their cloak, but the most curious thing occurred after we got within weapons’ range: When we’d let the Ilwrath approach medium-range, they’d sometimes decloak to attempt to intercept the full brunt of our forward cannon shot, and this sudden brief emergence of visibility allowed the ATS to correct the direction of the other projectiles, resulting in another shot being able to pinpoint the location of the vessel and steer its way and hit the Avenger before they could re-activate its cloak!

The results were fantastic and the Vindicator defeated all four Ilwrath vessels with valor and unrelenting tenacity! It was a marvelous sight to behold!! Our victory brought possible images of the Battle of Draco quickly to my mind as the smoke settled and we salvaged debris from the twisted wreckage of Avenger ships.

We will continue on course towards Alpha Tucanae. Captain out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:47 pm 
How about this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Mar 14, 2157 - Alpha Tucanae - Yellow Alert

We have just arrived on the outskirts of the Alpha Tucanae System, there’s nothing on scanners and everything seems quiet... perhaps a little... too quiet.

Back when we had left Procyon, after our battle with the Ilwrath patrol group but before we were able to get underway on our long voyage here, several of the other Ilwrath bogeys were almost on top of us, so I ordered the helm to veer the ship around to avoid contact; a troublesome contact which would’ve placed us in a long sequence of battles with Avengers that would’ve been almost impossible to escape unscathed due to their large numbers closing in from many directions around us.

We took the fleet in a large, counter-clockwise arching path to put some distance between us and the encroaching Avengers, where we travelled outside of the Boötes Constellation and between Olber and Volans to avoid the numerous and rapidly appearing Ilwrath ships. Eventually, after several more days (and circling Procyon twice) we were in the clear and could resume our heading out towards the direction of Tucana.

Along the way, towards the end of February, I decided for us to stop by Alpha Illuminati for a quick fill-up, but because of the red supergiant’s many planets, it took us several days to track down the Melnorme’s Trader ship before we could purchase fuel from them, but we still have plenty of credits left in the bank for more fuel down the road. Since Epsilon Gruis was just a hop, skip and a jump from our current position, we decided to also stop by there before proceeding to Alpha Tucanae.

By early March we were in Epsilon Gruis, and we investigated both worlds again, the slave-shielded Spathiwa and its abandoned moon, but we didn’t uncover anything new, so we proceeded to Alpha Tucanae, where we detected more and more ships along the way, which could be Ur-Quan, Kohr-Ah, or a pleasant mixture of the two for...you know, variety!

We’ll deal with any of those vessels upon our exit, but for now, we will set course for the ZFP Homeworld. Captain out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Captain’s Log - Supplemental:

Oh crap!:

We’re opening hailing frequencies. Red Alert. Zelnick out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:21 pm 
Silly Supox

Hell!
What did you DO? (or not do?)
The ZFP had an unlimited number of ships in their defensive perimeters!
How did that Marauder get through?

;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 830 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83  Next