Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Alvarin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:26 am

Dragon wrote: Oddly enough I don't care what genre the new Star Control game fits as long as it's set in the SC universe.
I think I would REALLY hate if it were an arcade platformer or collectible card game...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:03 am

Alvarin wrote:I think I would REALLY hate if it were an arcade platformer or collectible card game...
Good point, also let's add Star Control the Dating Sim into the list of no-nos. Although a platformer where you play an Ur-Quan locomoting however they locomote might be interesting...

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Death 999 wrote:Good luck on getting permission to use SC1+2 materials. Stuck with just SC3 materials would be pretty rotten.
Amen.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Guest wrote:
Alvarin wrote:I think I would REALLY hate if it were an arcade platformer or collectible card game...
Good point, also let's add Star Control the Dating Sim into the list of no-nos. Although a platformer where you play an Ur-Quan locomoting however they locomote might be interesting...
I believe, canonically, they brachiate. [/geek]

Kwayne
Hunam adventurer

Post by Kwayne » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:40 pm

Speaking of game genres, I woudn't mind a J-RPG that plays in the feudal past of Kyabetsu... or a Freespace mod that follows Great War events from Shofixti perspective.

Mormont
Hunam adventurer

Post by Mormont » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:48 am

So Brad Wardell posted this on the Stardock forums. Basically, they're planning to reboot a new alternate timeline starting with Chenjesu first contact.

Speaking as a fan and as an executive producer, the elephant in the room is Star Control 3. I don't want to treat it as canon. But at the same time, we can't just make a product called Star Control 3 anymore than someone could make a new Master of Orion 3.

If we had gotten the Master of Orion IP, which we did bid on, a new one would have just been called Master of Orion to reboot things because MOO 3 had, imo, damaged the continuity beyond repair.

It reminds me a little of the X-Men 3 movie. I have no idea how they're going to make the new X-men movie that doesn't require a lot of story line torture to undo Xmen 3.

That's why I'd prefer to think of things in terms of two time-lines. The Star Control classic timeline which ends with Star Control 2 and can be extended by Paul Reiche and Fred Ford if they want and then a new, Star Control prime timeline that begins with the Chenjesu in 2112. Because I really don't like the idea of retconning the existing Star Control universe. I'd rather just ignore Star Control 3 and have the classic universe integrity untouched.

Therefore, in a new continuity, we can let fans come up with new aliens that add to our story line as needed. I would prefer to use new aliens when the story calls for it than to twist an existing race to fit the plot needs.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:03 am

So, we could end up with something which is Star Control only by name. They could take the plot and change it completely.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:12 am

There are many indications that their product will be Star Control by much more than name (concept, feel, gameplay etc), and I suspect that heavyweight races like the Chenjesu, Ur-Quan and Arilou will remain. Interested to hear about the new timeline, looking forward to seeing what they do with it.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Kwayne wrote:Speaking of game genres, I woudn't mind a J-RPG that plays in the feudal past of Kyabetsu... or a Freespace mod that follows Great War events from Shofixti perspective.
This is an interesting idea.

It would be cool to go somewhere completely different, do something in a different style. Like Mass Effect or Dead Space but set in Star Control Universe.

Can you imagine doing a first person shooter with all the different races with all their different physical attributes? You could play as any race and have the Arilou have teleport, the Thraddash have large "nuclear' grenades, the spathi have a backwards shooting gun etc. I would love to see a tournament with that kind of gameplay.

Let's see, the Chmmr could force you to be pulled to close to them for a headshot
The Ilwrath could have a timed invisibility cloak
The Druuge would have an awesome sniper rifle but it would take a toll on its own health.

I would love that game.

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:07 pm

By the way, is the game for PC? Through Steam?