Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Frogboy
Hunam adventurer

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Frogboy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi guys!

We're talking to Paul and Fred. They're talking to Activision to see what level of involvement they are allowed to have in a new Star Control.

Stardock acquired from Atari the franchise rights to Star Control, the publishing/distribution rights of Star Control 1/2/3, and the copyrights of Star Control 3.

Regardless of the "rights" issue, we won't use the Star Control 1/2 races/lore unless we have Paul and Fred's blessing to do so.

The new Star Control game is definitely going to follow the game mechanics of Star Control 2 with some additions (I advise fans to play Starflight which was an inspiration for Star Control).

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:51 pm

Are you suggesting to expect scan-less planetary exploration and diversified resource management?
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Frogboy
Hunam adventurer

Post by Frogboy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Right now, nothing is decided at all.

But my preference is that the planets be able to offer more than just scanning and grabbing resources.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Good luck on getting permission to use SC1+2 materials. Stuck with just SC3 materials would be pretty rotten.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Just rename the races, switching out a few characters, and you'll be just fine.
No but seriously, I'd be severely pissed off if Paul and Fred don't give Stardock the go-ahead to use their races. For almost 20 years we've been waiting for an SC2 sequel, if it doesn't include the SC2 races then it's not a sequel at all but just a commercial brand-squatting.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:47 am

Thanks for the update, Frogboy. I appreciate you keeping us fans in the loop.

jello
Hunam adventurer

Post by jello » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Angelfish wrote: I'd be severely pissed off if Paul and Fred don't give Stardock the go-ahead to use their races.
I think the only way that happens is if P&F have something in the works. With Skylanders being as big as it is I don't think it's a concern.

Zarnium
Silly Supox

Post by Zarnium » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Aren't the story and characters from Star Control open-source or somesuch, and that's why UQM is legal? I thought anyone could use them without permission.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Zarnium wrote:Aren't the story and characters from Star Control open-source or somesuch, and that's why UQM is legal? I thought anyone could use them without permission.
Yes and no. UQM game data (stuff like ship sprites, comm images, dialog, music, and that sort of thing), which pretty much embodies the SC2 storyline/races/ships, is licensed under CC-BY-SA-NC (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/), which basically means they couldn't sell it without working out a separate deal with Paul and Fred (who personally own the copyrights to UQM code and data). In theory they could perhaps make (and sell) a generic *engine* for games-that-are-like-SCreboot, and provide SCreboot game data for free, but I doubt that would hold up in court very well.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Dragon
Reborn Shofixti

Post by Dragon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Apparently I've been living under a rock this year. How I missed that Atari filed for bankruptcy back in January is beyond me - particularly as I have little love for them (see post where I mention they copied a design doc from a company I worked for). It does warm my scabrous heart a little to know they have financial problems even it's mostly corporate maneuvering.

And more importantly how I missed that Stardock had acquired the rights to Star Control is even more beyond me. I'm going to be watching this one with interest. And possibly a little trepidation - I have not forgotten Syndicate (2012) or the more recent XCOM Declassified. The races and story from the 3rd Star Control hold no special meaning for so I am really hoping that the rights to use the SC2 races and story can be negotiated. I'd prefer a title other than Star Control for a game based only loosely on the Star Control universe. Oddly enough I don't care what genre the new Star Control game fits as long as it's set in the SC universe. Mass Effect was - to me - the spiritual successor to Star Control. To contradict this: I didn't like Tomb Raider (2013) because I wanted a Tomb Raider game and didn't get one. People, what a bunch of bastards.