Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

User avatar
sakalava47
Orz *camper*
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by sakalava47 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:21 pm

oldlaptop wrote:
oldlaptop wrote: Doesn't sound like you are much of a fan of SC.
It doesn't matter how much I'd want to play a game if I'm simply unable to.
Sorry if I was harsh. I guess I thought that everyone had access to a PC.

User avatar
Lobsterman
Orz *camper*
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 am

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Lobsterman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:02 am

sakalava47 wrote:
oldlaptop wrote:
oldlaptop wrote: Doesn't sound like you are much of a fan of SC.
It doesn't matter how much I'd want to play a game if I'm simply unable to.
Sorry if I was harsh. I guess I thought that everyone had access to a PC.
He has a pc, but he's running Linux! A different operating system.

To Oldlaptop:
Pardon me if I come off as horribly ignorant with this statement, but don't you Linux guys have that WINE thingy that can play most Windows games or so?

User avatar
oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 744
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:20 pm
Location: 175.2 : 145.0

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by oldlaptop » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Lobsterman wrote: To Oldlaptop:
Pardon me if I come off as horribly ignorant with this statement, but don't you Linux guys have that WINE thingy that can play most Windows games or so?
Yes, very much so - not everything works though, although it's certainly possible to write software with WINE in mind (this is how the Picasa Linux "port" works if I recall correctly).
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

User avatar
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:39 am
Location: USA

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Eth » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:47 pm

My understanding (and I could certainly be wrong about this) is that, while Atari owns the Star Control trademark, Fred and Paul own the actual content of SC1 & 2. It's difficult for me to get excited about the prospect of a Star Control game without the Ur-Quan, Spathi, etc. I have no idea what sort if contractual obligations Fred and Paul have with Activision. I suspect that the company I work for would take a dim view of me working with a competing company, but my impression is that Wizards is more restrictive than usual about that sort of thing. Hopefully a deal can be made that includes the creative heart of Star Control.

EDIT: Whoops, this point was made in the other two treads about this topic. Sorry for the redundancy!

User avatar
Chenjesu
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Chenjesu » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:57 am

I don't know if it's relevant anymore but both stardock and a renegade group of fans are trying to produce SC3. I don't know how far stardock is in the process, but so far they haven't started. Then there's project 6014 being developed along with this topic

http://www.star-control.com/community/v ... ?f=8&t=895

Guest

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:09 am

Chenjesu wrote:I don't know if it's relevant anymore but both stardock and a renegade group of fans are trying to produce SC3. I don't know how far stardock is in the process, but so far they haven't started. Then there's project 6014 being developed along with this topic

http://www.star-control.com/community/v ... ?f=8&t=895
Um... This topic is about the stardock game. :P

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2882
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Lukipela » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Eth has a good point. If I don't misunderstand, they've bought the rights to the name and the exclusive races from the third game I guess.

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Angelfish » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Lukipela wrote:Eth has a good point. If I don't misunderstand, they've bought the rights to the name and the exclusive races from the third game I guess.
just make a wiki abot it instead of guessing and second-guessing everything :)

User avatar
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 1712
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Death 999 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Lukipela wrote:Eth has a good point. If I don't misunderstand, they've bought the rights to the name and the exclusive races from the third game I guess.
Oh, right, they got access to... those guys. On the bright side, since they own the rights, they're perfectly allowed to totally reimagine them.

User avatar
Lobsterman
Orz *camper*
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 am

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Lobsterman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Maybe I am being dim now, but let me get this 100% straight:

They only have access to the races from SC3, or?

Post Reply