Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Elestan
Silly Supox

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Elestan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:20 am

Guest wrote:Don't leave us fans hanging with only a reboot as the final Star Control game!!
Who says this would be the final game? If I were Stardock, I'd be thinking something like:

* The game everyone wants is the sequel to SC2, where we get the story of the MkII.
* But, I just paid $305k for the rights to this franchise; I don't want to do just one game.
* So, before we make SC3, we make SC0, a prequel which tells the story of Earth's first contact with the Chenjesu and its entry into the alliance. Maybe we include an SC1-like strategic game; this would match well with Stardock's expertise in turn-based strategy games, and it would give us the chance to iron out any problems without the risk of screwing up the game everyone's really waiting for.
* Then, once we've got some game engine technology created, and a development team with a track record, and hopefully honed everyone's appetite for Star Control, we do SC3, the proper sequel to SC2.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Crustacean man

Post by Crustacean man » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Dayum sistah, that would be pretty cool. You're right of course, nobody mentioned doing just one game, it's just the fear of it that bothers me.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:41 pm

It's seems silly from our perspective, but a large amount of gamers would find even UQM HD too primitive (is that the right word?). They want to open it up to a MUCH larger audience, so creating a sequel to a game that no-one knows about would be silly. It makes much more sense to create an UQM reboot, from a business point of view.

Frogboy
Hunam adventurer

Post by Frogboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Hi guys,

Make surveyor check out Starflight as well.

The intent here is for this to be the first of a new series. That's why it makes sense to reboot it, start it by introducing players the the aliens "for the first time". Ideally, if Paul is allowed to work on it, we'd love to have the stories crafted by him. Though, as you guys know, tfb is pretty busy these days. I hope to have more news on that front soon.

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:22 am

Series you say. Likes I say. :mrgreen:
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:56 am

I'm optimistic that this will turn out well, and I have reasons for such optimism. Frogboy has made some promising statements and it looks like TfB is set to have an important influence at least. Moreover, there is a proven example of what not to do: all interested parties will certainly be keen to learn from the example of SCnot3. If the reboot reaches SC3 territory (and even before, probably), I think there will be a sense of `let's get it right this time'.
chenjesuwizard wrote:It's seems silly from our perspective, but a large amount of gamers would find even UQM HD too primitive (is that the right word?).
Antiquated? Outdated? Either way, probably so.

@Scott: You should add a GOG SC1+2 link to the Get Star Control page.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:12 pm

oldlaptop wrote:
Zarnium wrote: BTW, when you guys say Stardock is usually "PC-exclusive," do you mean "computers-only" or "not for Mac?" 'Cause my primary computer is a Mac, and playing games on my Windows laptop is a dicey proposition. Not to mention that a disproportionately large number of posters here seem to be Mac people.
I'm concerned about this as well. As unhappy as I'd be about it, I would not pay for a new Star Control game which I could not make run on Linux in some way (since I would be effectively unable to play it).
Seriously?!!?!

Doesn't sound like you are much of a fan of SC.

I think that this news is amazing and I'll promote it as much as I can. Stardock is taking the perfect approach because it should be easy enough to stay close to canon starting where they are while building the foundation for a sequel that will be profitable and make the series endure.

I wonder if some of us though don't WANT the series to continue. It would destroy our "cult" status and some of us might be too attached to that.

oldlaptop
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by oldlaptop » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:04 am

oldlaptop wrote: Doesn't sound like you are much of a fan of SC.
It doesn't matter how much I'd want to play a game if I'm simply unable to.
Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:38 am

Zeracles: My FTP access to the site is somewhat broken at the moment, I do intend to update a bunch of content, including some pages that exist but aren't actually linked.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:48 am

oldlaptop wrote:
oldlaptop wrote: Doesn't sound like you are much of a fan of SC.
It doesn't matter how much I'd want to play a game if I'm simply unable to.
Perhaps we can ask Eth to make a Star Control board game, you know, for the people without a computer, too?
I'd rather have Stardock make a cool new game and spend their resources on that instead of spending their money on making the game available for every obscure platform.