Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

I think some of the verbage from this official Stardock press release was seen in the post from Joystiq yesterday. However, the quotes yesterday didn't mention starting development in Fall 2013 and "for PC". I see no mention of consoles (Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, etc). This isn't a shock to me as I think almost (all?) games Stardock makes and publishes are PC exclusives. I know a couple of friends that have played the new XCOM and mentioned they could tell it was also a console game.

Stardock acquires Star Control rights from Atari

Quote:
Stardock acquires Star Control rights from Atari

Article posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game for PC

PLYMOUTH, MI – July 23, 2013 – Stardock is pleased to announce that it has secured the rights to the classic PC franchise Star Control with the intent to develop a new Star Control game. Development on the new game will begin this year with a release date to be determined at a later time.

“We expect the new Star Control to come in the form of a reboot, similar to what Firaxis did with the XCOM series last year,” said Brad Wardell, president and CEO of Stardock. "We are looking at Star Control II as a major source of inspiration.”

Entering its 20th year as an independent studio, Stardock remains one of the few development studios solely dedicated to PC gaming. Its critically-acclaimed PC games include the timeless Galactic Civilizations series and the award-winning Real-Time Strategy game (RTS) Sins of a Solar Empire, which has sold more than two million copies worldwide. PC Gamer Magazine recently chose Galactic Civilizations II and Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion for inclusion in the top 100 PC games of all time.

Star Control maintains a cult following as a beloved PC franchise, with the first title including options for melee or strategy gameplay set in a science fiction universe. The sequel—Star Control II—expanded on the Star Control universe as an adventure game and shooter. Star Control II still holds spots on critics’ lists of the best PC games of all time among both new and seasoned PC gamers.

More information on the new Star Control will be announced as it becomes available.

For more information on Stardock, please visit http://www.stardock.com.

# # #

About Stardock

Stardock is a leading developer and publisher of PC games and desktop software. Its PC games include Sins of a Solar Empire and the critically acclaimed Galactic Civilizations series. Its desktop software includes Start8, Fences, WindowBlinds, ModernMix, and more. Visit http://www.stardock.com.

Post subject: Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:05 am 
Site Admin

!!!! hopefully something good comes of this and it doesn't all end up being pipe dreams.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:08 am 
Hunam adventurer

Frumple wrote:
I think some of the verbage from this official Stardock press release was seen [url=http://www.star-control.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=877]This isn't a shock to me as I think almost (all?) games Stardock makes and publishes are PC exclusives. I know a couple of friends that have played the new XCOM and mentioned they could tell it was also a console game.

Yes, they're exclusively PC developers, as far as I know. Stardock is a very fascinating mix of publisher, graphics customization, productivity software and game development. They're very against DRM, so the Star Control reboot will be DRM-free.

Brad mentioned that he'd love to get Paul and Fred involved in the Star Control reboot and use content from the first two games. He's mentioned that he's a huge fan of the series himself.

I think Stardock can pull it off. I'd feel even more excited if PR3 and FF were involved somehow. Then it would have a touch of TFB magic that we all know and love. I don't think Activision would appreciate a full-time TFB/Stardock joint venture.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:06 pm 
Silly Supox

I'm very glad that the Star Control Franchise is getting some attention, and from people who look like they will do it justice, but I'm not sure I really want a "reboot." We've already got Ur-Quan Masters HD, and I'd rather see a completely new sequel with FF and PR3. I'm not against it by any means, and I'll certainly buy it, but I think it's redundant :(-smf.

Still, perhaps I'm not looking at the big picture here. Not too many current gamers are going to want to buy a direct sequel to a 20 year old game they've never heard of, so a reboot makes more sense from a marketing perspective. Perhaps if this reboot is successful, it will get a good sequel.

BTW, when you guys say Stardock is usually "PC-exclusive," do you mean "computers-only" or "not for Mac?" 'Cause my primary computer is a Mac, and playing games on my Windows laptop is a dicey proposition. Not to mention that a disproportionately large number of posters here seem to be Mac people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:15 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Zarnium wrote:
BTW, when you guys say Stardock is usually "PC-exclusive," do you mean "computers-only" or "not for Mac?" 'Cause my primary computer is a Mac, and playing games on my Windows laptop is a dicey proposition. Not to mention that a disproportionately large number of posters here seem to be Mac people.

I'm concerned about this as well. As unhappy as I'd be about it, I would not pay for a new Star Control game which I could not make run on Linux in some way (since I would be effectively unable to play it).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:21 am 
Slylandro gasbags

Complaining that you can't run certain games on linux is like complaining that you can't play football with a hockey puck. Linux was never intended as a gaming platform.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:29 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Angelfish wrote:
Complaining that you can't run certain games on linux is like complaining that you can't play football with a hockey puck. Linux was never intended as a gaming platform.

That's a flamewar for another time. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

WINE anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:08 am 
Yehat Revolutionist

WINE is an interesting option, actually, if Stardock really doesn't want to bother with 'normal' Linux support. (with some work actual 'native' binaries can be built against winelib, although there are probably better ways to approach portable development than that...)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:25 am 
Zarnium wrote:
I'm very glad that the Star Control Franchise is getting some attention, and from people who look like they will do it justice, but I'm not sure I really want a "reboot." We've already got Ur-Quan Masters HD, and I'd rather see a completely new sequel with FF and PR3. I'm not against it by any means, and I'll certainly buy it, but I think it's redundant :(-smf.

This is what bothers me as well. I was so excited when I saw that chat with Fred and Paul by that Cedric fellow a while ago where they said a new star control game was coming. This doesn't count guys! Don't leave us fans hanging with only a reboot as the final Star Control game!!

The X-Com reboot was amazing, but it's not as story driven as Star Control is. What's the point of a reboot when both SC1 and SC2 are perfectly good and playable games already?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next