Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:44 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

sakalava47 wrote:
Kwayne wrote:
Speaking of game genres, I woudn't mind a J-RPG that plays in the feudal past of Kyabetsu... or a Freespace mod that follows Great War events from Shofixti perspective.

This is an interesting idea.

It would be cool to go somewhere completely different, do something in a different style. Like Mass Effect or Dead Space but set in Star Control Universe.

Can you imagine doing a first person shooter with all the different races with all their different physical attributes? You could play as any race and have the Arilou have teleport, the Thraddash have large "nuclear' grenades, the spathi have a backwards shooting gun etc. I would love to see a tournament with that kind of gameplay.

Let's see, the Chmmr could force you to be pulled to close to them for a headshot
The Ilwrath could have a timed invisibility cloak
The Druuge would have an awesome sniper rifle but it would take a toll on its own health.

I would love that game.

Hmm…. OK, I think I'd love that game too, but I'm not sure I'd want it to be an "official" Star Control game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:48 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Dyandod wrote:
sakalava47 wrote:
Kwayne wrote:
Speaking of game genres, I woudn't mind a J-RPG that plays in the feudal past of Kyabetsu... or a Freespace mod that follows Great War events from Shofixti perspective.

This is an interesting idea.

It would be cool to go somewhere completely different, do something in a different style. Like Mass Effect or Dead Space but set in Star Control Universe.

Can you imagine doing a first person shooter with all the different races with all their different physical attributes? You could play as any race and have the Arilou have teleport, the Thraddash have large "nuclear' grenades, the spathi have a backwards shooting gun etc. I would love to see a tournament with that kind of gameplay.

Let's see, the Chmmr could force you to be pulled to close to them for a headshot
The Ilwrath could have a timed invisibility cloak
The Druuge would have an awesome sniper rifle but it would take a toll on its own health.

I would love that game.

Hmm…. OK, I think I'd love that game too, but I'm not sure I'd want it to be an "official" Star Control game.

I agree with Dyandod. I think that sounds fun and all, but I would rather it the new game be an adventure game, myself. If this reboot goes well, maybe something like that could be in the cards, though?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:28 am 
ZFP Peacekeeper

That could be a mod of sorts to TeamFortress2. Blue Alliance vs Red Hierarchy. Earthling/Druuge snipers, Shofixti scout, Umgah medic, Ilwrath pyro, Chenjesu/Mycon soldiers, Spathi engineer ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:30 am 
Orz *camper*

Yes, I don't mean for it to be canon, just fun.

But would everybody be against the main game having 3d shooter elements like Mass Effect?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:53 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

I do not think I will play a shooter...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:40 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Yeah neither do I...It just doesn't click with the game play and the feel of the game IMO. The only exception I would see is a rail shooter (it's totally a different genre than a fps tps :lol: ).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:17 am 
Orz *camper*

Ah, come on guys. You wouldn't even play it? :'(-smf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:58 am 
ZFP Peacekeeper

No. I'm not against genre change to include shooting, if it was in the vein of Fallout2 or 1 for example. Can't really imagine it now, but I think I'd give it a try. Not as a first-person-view game, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

I would still play it, but as a fan, it is not what I want ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:26 pm 
Orz *camper*

Alvarin wrote:
No. I'm not against genre change to include shooting, if it was in the vein of Fallout2 or 1 for example. Can't really imagine it now, but I think I'd give it a try. Not as a first-person-view game, though.

This brings me to another, related topic. How far should Stardock go in changing things to appeal to a broader audience, if at all?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next