Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Re: Development to Begin This Fall on New Star Control Game

Post by Dyandod » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:44 pm

sakalava47 wrote:
Kwayne wrote:Speaking of game genres, I woudn't mind a J-RPG that plays in the feudal past of Kyabetsu... or a Freespace mod that follows Great War events from Shofixti perspective.
This is an interesting idea.

It would be cool to go somewhere completely different, do something in a different style. Like Mass Effect or Dead Space but set in Star Control Universe.

Can you imagine doing a first person shooter with all the different races with all their different physical attributes? You could play as any race and have the Arilou have teleport, the Thraddash have large "nuclear' grenades, the spathi have a backwards shooting gun etc. I would love to see a tournament with that kind of gameplay.

Let's see, the Chmmr could force you to be pulled to close to them for a headshot
The Ilwrath could have a timed invisibility cloak
The Druuge would have an awesome sniper rifle but it would take a toll on its own health.

I would love that game.
Hmm…. OK, I think I'd love that game too, but I'm not sure I'd want it to be an "official" Star Control game.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer

Post by Maloo Oture » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:48 pm

Dyandod wrote:
sakalava47 wrote:
Kwayne wrote:Speaking of game genres, I woudn't mind a J-RPG that plays in the feudal past of Kyabetsu... or a Freespace mod that follows Great War events from Shofixti perspective.
This is an interesting idea.

It would be cool to go somewhere completely different, do something in a different style. Like Mass Effect or Dead Space but set in Star Control Universe.

Can you imagine doing a first person shooter with all the different races with all their different physical attributes? You could play as any race and have the Arilou have teleport, the Thraddash have large "nuclear' grenades, the spathi have a backwards shooting gun etc. I would love to see a tournament with that kind of gameplay.

Let's see, the Chmmr could force you to be pulled to close to them for a headshot
The Ilwrath could have a timed invisibility cloak
The Druuge would have an awesome sniper rifle but it would take a toll on its own health.

I would love that game.
Hmm…. OK, I think I'd love that game too, but I'm not sure I'd want it to be an "official" Star Control game.

I agree with Dyandod. I think that sounds fun and all, but I would rather it the new game be an adventure game, myself. If this reboot goes well, maybe something like that could be in the cards, though?

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:28 am

That could be a mod of sorts to TeamFortress2. Blue Alliance vs Red Hierarchy. Earthling/Druuge snipers, Shofixti scout, Umgah medic, Ilwrath pyro, Chenjesu/Mycon soldiers, Spathi engineer ...
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:30 am

Yes, I don't mean for it to be canon, just fun.

But would everybody be against the main game having 3d shooter elements like Mass Effect?

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:53 pm

I do not think I will play a shooter...

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:40 pm

Yeah neither do I...It just doesn't click with the game play and the feel of the game IMO. The only exception I would see is a rail shooter (it's totally a different genre than a fps tps :lol: ).
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:17 am

Ah, come on guys. You wouldn't even play it? :'(-smf

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Alvarin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:58 am

No. I'm not against genre change to include shooting, if it was in the vein of Fallout2 or 1 for example. Can't really imagine it now, but I think I'd give it a try. Not as a first-person-view game, though.

glory_device
Ilwrath torturer

Post by glory_device » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 pm

I would still play it, but as a fan, it is not what I want ;)
''I swiftly matured into a fine example of my species and with my parents' assistance, achieved independence.
Specifically, they pried me from the doorjamb, and rolled me into the street.'' -Fwiffo

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Alvarin wrote:No. I'm not against genre change to include shooting, if it was in the vein of Fallout2 or 1 for example. Can't really imagine it now, but I think I'd give it a try. Not as a first-person-view game, though.
This brings me to another, related topic. How far should Stardock go in changing things to appeal to a broader audience, if at all?