Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Post by sakalava47 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:25 pm

vok3 wrote:
Saria wrote:IT'S HAPPENING
No. It is not.

1) The only thing Stardock could have bought here is the rights to the "Star Control" name itself. The rights to EVERYTHING ELSE - Ur-Quan, Precursors, Spathi, Chenjesu, all of it - reside with Toys For Bob. That is why and how the sourceforge UQM release was possible, and why the title had to be changed. If Stardock tries to make a Star Control game without involving TFB, there will be no Ur-Quan, no Syreen, no Shofixti, no Yehat, no nothing. In short, it will not be Star Control.

2) Toys For Bob is wholly owned by Activision. Activision has no reason to cooperate with a rival publisher. At the very least, Stardock would have to pay Activision exorbitant amounts to be able to use Activision employees for a project intended to compete with Activision's core business - electronic entertainment. It is extremely unlikely that Toys For Bob has avoided signing non-compete agreements. Therefore it is highly unlikely that Toys For Bob - meaning Paul Reiche and Fred Ford, the people who count - will be involved in any Stardock Starcon project.

If this is true, then how did UQM get published? Isn't it in the public domain now?

Does Activision own it (via TFB) or do PR and FF own it personally?

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:24 am

sakalava47 wrote:If this is true, then how did UQM get published? Isn't it in the public domain now?

The latter.

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Shiver wrote:
sakalava47 wrote:If this is true, then how did UQM get published? Isn't it in the public domain now?

The latter.
Then hopefully this means there is no problem. I can't imagine Fred Ford or Paul Richie not wanting this to go forward, especially if they got to have some influence on story.

Axemaster
Hunam adventurer

Post by Axemaster » Sun May 03, 2015 8:20 pm

Angelfish wrote:yeah resource gathering is utterly boring and a waste of time, don't put itback in ;)
No Keep Resource Gathering ! it can be extremely rewarding !
Resource gathering is another aspect making the game interesting, there is nothing like discovering an exotic planet in far off space and pondering what the conditions would be on it, and what exciting new minerals and technology would be found, the more valuable the bounty, the more dangerous the planet, it sets out to put you in the action giving you a great sense of reward for daring to scout the dangers of the planet and finding the materials/relics needed for you to advance your ship and relationships with the different races, now that is adventure and exploration ! Along with exploring the universe they way only Star Control can !

Making it automated will make you feel like a numb couch potato watching a boring sitcom.

NO put me in the jumpseat ! i want in on the Action... THATS what Star Control is about ! Exploration, the reward for daring to explore and the trek itself making you feel you are traveling into the void of space to discover something great after the long travel if your ship survives what it encounters and if you have enough fuel ! Nothing else can capture that experience like Star Control, nothing else at all ! ! !

Axemaster
Hunam adventurer

Post by Axemaster » Sun May 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Perhaps just take it a step further without straying from the action, let you be able to build a temporary post on the planet and upgrade your base so you can upgrade your harvesters to withstand the dangers of the planet to go harvest that exotic mineral on the far side of the planet, once harvested what was required, return the harvester, and launch the bounty back up to your mothership in space. However don't let it consume too much as to interfere with exploring space itself, finding an exotic cave or something atop a mountain would be exciting though.

Or keep it the way it was launching the ships directly onto the planet to harvest, the above can work as long as it keeps the action exciting. Fred Paul.. talk to us, you guys made sc2 the master piece that it is, give us your opinions on what i've just said, i would think my last two posts should be pretty much in tune to what you guys would have in mind ?

Furud
I'M ALIVE!

Post by Furud » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:12 pm

I hope they keep the resource, I just hope they make the resources mean something. One of my biggest complaints about Star Control 2 was that it really didn't matter what resource you got as long as it gave you enough RU to build what you wanted. Base metals should be used in the framework, radioactive for power and Shofixti "glory devices", and exotic could be used for some of the really powerful stuff, and precious material can just go to trade.

From there they really could go multiple ways depending on the game engine they use. If they go the prequel route like I've heard, it may be pretty interesting because you won't have a Precursor ship, but you have the chance of having cargo, scout, and transport ships from each race. I would really like to see them put individual race flare on new ships. Plus every race could handle planets differently. Arilou could be the best at requiring "biological data", hehe. One race could have no problem with hot surfaces (like the one that survives in temperatures close to the melting point of metal) while other races would need get technology so they don't die. It could also mean the difference between a temporary resource gather and colonizing a planet. I think if they make you think about your decision on a planet as opposed to the "clean out" method, even if they had to take out the action on the planet, it wouldn't be as boring.

I also hope they let us do a little customization to the ships. After all, a controller has a lot more than 2 buttons and you wouldn't need to share a controller like you did with a keyboard for multiplayer. As long as the tactics hold true to the alien race and we get the same ships we all know and love as the base, we could have a lot of fun with this. ;)

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:54 am

If I want to grind for resources, I'll just play WoW where the resulting drops give you a standing on the server that you're playing.

Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Death 999 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:08 am

Grinding for resources for ships wasn't so bad - you felt like you were getting somewhere. It was having to get lots of it just for fuel that was annoying.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:15 am

Death 999 wrote:Grinding for resources for ships wasn't so bad - you felt like you were getting somewhere. It was having to get lots of it just for fuel that was annoying.
And just when you were happy with your resources the kohr-ah came to earth.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Angelfish wrote:
Death 999 wrote:Grinding for resources for ships wasn't so bad - you felt like you were getting somewhere. It was having to get lots of it just for fuel that was annoying.
And just when you were happy with your resources the kohr-ah came to earth.
Man, you must have gone really SLOW then. You can do other stuff while you grind, you know.