Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:14 am 
Slylandro gasbags

I got an invite too, but I don't know if I'm prepared to pay for it. It's against my principles to sponsor Crimson corporation - like schemes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:23 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Angelfish wrote:
I got an invite too, but I don't know if I'm prepared to pay for it. It's against my principles to sponsor Crimson corporation - like schemes.

Same

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:06 pm 
Silly Supox

Honestly, I'm not even convinced it'd be any good.

On the PLUS side, I do like the colourful graphical style of the art I've seen so far.

On the other hand there was this goober diatribing about how aliens shouldn't speak english and should all absolutely be starfish aliens. (And THAT really has me worried, because he's supposed to be making a STAR CONTROL game. (As in the comedic space opera genre. (And who's core races are a mix of more humanoid or earth-like aliens and more starfish aliens.)

I mean I don't care that some physicist, who's not a biologist, said with extreme confidence that aliens would all be super weird and that some people are now convinced that's 'scientifically accurate' in spite of the fact that we never have SEEN any aliens and that evolutionary pressures would very likely actually converge on a limited set of efficient physical forms. (Which means that though not all intelligent aliens would be humanoids, it's actually not so strange that if you'd take say... a hundred alien species, some might be.)

But that little paragraph aside... the idea that all aliens should be gibbering weirdly and look super weird isn't really STAR CONTROL.

Star Control has room for weird starfish aliens, sure. (Though I think the Orz have a pretty good grip on that role, and if you're gonna introduce another Orzy race, there'd need to be a good REASON for them to be there.) But Star Control's VIBE is a very soft sci-fi/sci-fantasy sort of setting which focusses on humour and epic adventures.

Not on giving some sort of 'what we currently think is authentic' alien experience.

Now to be fair, maybe it'll actually be a good game when it's done. I won't pay to beta-test it for them. Sure as hell not. But maybe when the product is finished it'll actually be good! Or at least might rekindle interest in the original. And if they manage, kudo's.

But right now I ALSO wouldn't be surprised if I'd have to come down on the end of 'Well at least Star Control 3, rightly non-canon or not, got the general GENRE right and TRIED to keep to the tone. And this doesn't.'

But as I said, let's be fair. Maybe it'll be good.

Since it's not Ford and Reiche written it IS either way non-canon though, so I suppose to me it doesn't terribly matter much. I'll just see what it is when they finish it and I'll honestly say what I think then.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:38 pm 
Hunam adventurer

Hi again, guys! Has Stardock revealed something interesting? =)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:52 pm 
Ilwrath torturer

Frungy will be included apparently

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:07 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

That... unless they do it indirectly like my old Frungy League Team Owner idea... is BLASPHEMY!

;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7