Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

jello
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:14 am

Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Post by jello » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Same results over here. I was a little bummed out opening the acceptance email and seeing that it was 99.99 us which is currently 133.66 Canadian.

User avatar
Death 999
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 1673
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Post by Death 999 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:23 pm

What... I haven't been contacted, but paying $100 for a beta? At that price, I'm not sure they want my feedback...

User avatar
Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Post by Maloo Oture » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:14 am

Yeah, I think they mislead us old fans. When this whole thing started they told us they were going to keep us involved. Then they created the founders program for anyone with an invite to participate in. Guess they want our money more than our input. If the game is great, I'll pay for it. But I'm not going to pay 100 dollars just to give an opinion among hundreds of others that haven't even been around the community. I feel misled for sure.

User avatar
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Post by Draxas » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:45 pm

This whole scheme sounds like they're trying to rook the loyal fanbase out of some extra cash. In SC's case, that seems particularly deplorable since the fanbase isn't theirs to begin with. Moves like these are starting to make me pretty skeptical about the end product of this venture.

User avatar
Scott Irving
Site Admin
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 am
Location: The Tardis
Contact:

Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Post by Scott Irving » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:36 am

Sorry folks :oops: :( I do need to get the front page updated with all the news regarding the new "Star Control". I won't bore you with details but suffice to say I'm living with my in-laws now (and wife course) and could get laid off from my job at any moment and have very little free time. Adulting is hard.. That said i have been terribly slack, only checking to make sure the site wasn't down for the last few months between moving and packing, trying to find a place to live. Heading into the new year now i will try to make an effort to get active again and grow the site content more. As always please feel free to send me content suggestions or news or simply to remind to work on the site (it really does help).

Now regard the "news" and these are my personal feelings and will not reflected in the content of this site.
I'm most curious about this founders program and what will come of it, sounds like a bunch of people potentially being involved and not being able to talk about it due to an NDA so we likely won't hear much from it. Seems *fishy* that you have to apparently pay as well? why not simply do a kickstarter or indigogo or some other crowd funding and be obvious about it, I'm sure there's plenty of us who would pitch in. This all seems kinda backwards to me personally, as apposed to what we were hearing before about the Star Control community being involved in a more open way. :?
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

User avatar
Quasispatial
Yehat Revolutionist
Posts: 647
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:10 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Post by Quasispatial » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:57 am

Scott Irving wrote:Seems *fishy* that you have to apparently pay as well? why not simply do a kickstarter or indigogo or some other crowd funding and be obvious about it, I'm sure there's plenty of us who would pitch in. This all seems kinda backwards to me personally, as apposed to what we were hearing before about the Star Control community being involved in a more open way. :?
I suppose they are taking a page out of the Druuge's books with hidden costs and secret tariffs. I don't think they are getting very many -if any- 'founders' with that fee. I, being a student, cannot possibly throw away my entire monthly income on that thing - it's just not going to happen, and from what I've seen, the general consensus aligns with the idea that this is not worth the price.
"Sentient life. We are the Ur-Quan. Independence is intolerable. Blah, blah, blah." - the Spathi High Council, Star Control II.

User avatar
Scott Irving
Site Admin
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 am
Location: The Tardis
Contact:

Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Post by Scott Irving » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:14 am

I'd love to be in the group but yeah i can't drop $100 USD (which is like $130 Cnd) on it, I've funded a number of things and gotten bitten. Though I'm more likely to trust stardock then some of the other companies i have put money into in the past..speaking of .. *looks up star citizen page* wonder when that will ever be done.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

jello
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:14 am

Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Post by jello » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:51 pm

So I bought in, even with the crappy dollar. From what I gather the buy-in is intended to keep the amount of people small. Stardock is working on the assumption that only the most dedicated fans will pony up that cash. I can't share any real details, but there are some lively debates happening.

User avatar
Maloo Oture
Ilwrath torturer
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Post by Maloo Oture » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:24 pm

jello wrote:So I bought in, even with the crappy dollar. From what I gather the buy-in is intended to keep the amount of people small. Stardock is working on the assumption that only the most dedicated fans will pony up that cash. I can't share any real details, but there are some lively debates happening.
Debates that we should all be included in! We've been the sole source of Starcon2 material for decades...

jello
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:14 am

Re: Stardock Plans Reboot of Star Control

Post by jello » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:24 pm

Maloo Oture wrote:
jello wrote:So I bought in, even with the crappy dollar. From what I gather the buy-in is intended to keep the amount of people small. Stardock is working on the assumption that only the most dedicated fans will pony up that cash. I can't share any real details, but there are some lively debates happening.
Debates that we should all be included in! We've been the sole source of Starcon2 material for decades...
http://forums.starcontrol.com/ There you go. Plenty of debate going on and a lot of the threads are the same as the founders sub-forum. Some of the folks posting on the founders side are pretty much copy/pasting.

Post Reply