ATARI brings classic games to GOG.com - Star Control?

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Frumple
Site Admin

ATARI brings classic games to GOG.com - Star Control?

Post by Frumple » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:56 pm

Last I heard Toys for Bob owned the character rights. Does anyone know or think there is any chance of a possible re-release of Star Control 1, Star Control 2 or Star Control 3 with this announcement? Would you buy them?

Regardless, I'm pretty fricking excited about Master of Orion and Master of Magic!

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/ATA ... OG_com/_/1
We're revealing another big publisher joining our DRM-free outlet. First games to be released throughout April.

GOG.com continues to build its unmatched catalogue of classic PC games with the announcement of the deal with the famous worldwide publisher - Atari. The hit games will be added to the GOG.com catalogue throughout April and will include such glorious gems of yesteryear as Outcast, Master of Orion and Master of Magic. Today, during CD Projekt Spring Conference where the agreement with Atari was announced, Marcin Iwinski, Co-Founder of CD Projekt and GOG.com, said "This deal is really just the first step in what we expect will be a long and fruitful relationship. Atari has a tremendous number of cult classics within their grasp, and we hope to sign these in a near future!".
Image "...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement." Image

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Re: ATARI brings classic games to GOG.com - Star Control?

Post by Eth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:11 pm

I think that the chances of this happening are slim. Atari may own the Star Control trademark, but they don't own the games themselves, from what I understand.

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 am

Pretty much. Atari doesn't own any of the content, which is why TFB was able to distribute the source code and most of the resources for SC2. SC1 is undoubtedly the same way, but lord only knows who owns what in terms of SC3. Presumably some of the content is owned by TFB... maybe? That's a very gray area.

ngnikolaos
Hunam adventurer

Post by ngnikolaos » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:39 am

Right now, it's the future I'm looking forward to, not the past. Star Control II remains my fave game from my teenage years, but I'm now burning with curiosity to see what Paul Reiche has in store for us.
Hmph! Some people just can't accept the cost of progress!

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:41 pm

ngnikolaos wrote:Right now, it's the future I'm looking forward to, not the past. Star Control II remains my fave game from my teenage years, but I'm now burning with curiosity to see what Paul Reiche has in store for us.
Yeah, it's going to be pretty interesting.

Anthony
Hunam adventurer

Post by Anthony » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Hmmm... I think that would present a bunch of legal questions. I think it would be hard to publish a game with a title owned by Atari with content owned by TFB. There would be more interest in Star Control 1.

However, if GOG.com did add Star Control 1, I hope Paul and Fred get paid for it; a long time ago, I found out that Greg Johnson didn't get paid for ToeJam & Earl on Virtual Console since Sega owned the rights. I have an account on GOG.com and I wouldn't mind adding it to my collection. I wonder if GOG could dig up some extra content for it that we wouldn't be able to google.

I still haven't gotten into the Full Game mode yet. I've always had the computer move for me then I did the combat.
Check out my blog at http://starcontroller.com