Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Happy New Year Everyone!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:52 am 
Due to the nature of my particular problem I have switched to the "buggy" 640 mode. 320 was just too small to see well. Maybe a hiresx3 would be useful to more users than hiresx4. Well another idea is to simply change the actual dimentions of hiresx4. My guess is that you all were thinking of the more squareish monitors. I don't know how often you all go to your local electronic/appliance/department stores but for at least the past 5 years I haven't seen any of the old stye square tvs/monitors. All I ever see is all the widescreen versions. With this in mind most the browser games I play now-a-days have a 1280x800(16:10ar) resolution setting that I use and works great for me and leaves a border for me to open other apps in background like teamspeak.
I didn't notice any lander text cut off. I mentioned that when I used the lander on Pluto the spathi ship was just barely close enough to the actual map the I was able to trigger the text event. So to date I have only identified 1 glitch and that was the eluder didn't register on the energy scan and was placed outside the lander map. I will continue to play the game to find more stuff but pluto is as far as i have gone as of yet.

HELLBORE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:36 pm 
HELLBORE wrote:
Due to the nature of my particular problem I have switched to the "buggy" 640 mode. 320 was just too small to see well. Maybe a hiresx3 would be useful to more users than hiresx4. Well another idea is to simply change the actual dimentions of hiresx4. My guess is that you all were thinking of the more squareish monitors. I don't know how often you all go to your local electronic/appliance/department stores but for at least the past 5 years I haven't seen any of the old stye square tvs/monitors. All I ever see is all the widescreen versions. With this in mind most the browser games I play now-a-days have a 1280x800(16:10ar) resolution setting that I use and works great for me and leaves a border for me to open other apps in background like teamspeak.
I didn't notice any lander text cut off. I mentioned that when I used the lander on Pluto the spathi ship was just barely close enough to the actual map the I was able to trigger the text event. So to date I have only identified 1 glitch and that was the eluder didn't register on the energy scan and was placed outside the lander map. I will continue to play the game to find more stuff but pluto is as far as i have gone as of yet.

HELLBORE

I can assure you we haven't been living under a rock for the past ten years, so we've heard of these fancy new things called "widescreen" monitors... ;)

If you take a look at the source code, you'll see that modding the game to support 2x and 4x resolutions has been a humongous job. It has taken over a year alone. Now, changing the game to widescreen would have easily taken much longer. That is because the numbers controlling the graphics couldn't simply be multiplied anymore - pretty much each element would have to be reprogrammed individually. (The way the game is coded, a lot of graphics are not just .png files - they are actually drawn by the game code on the fly.) Even now, in a lot of places, a simple multiplication isn't enough, but many things have to be tinkered by hand. For example the widths of the borders and many 1px wide elements.

So it's not simply a matter of making the game reserve a screen of, say 1280x800 (or other 16:10) rez and expect it to work.

Also, adding hires3x would require a couple of hundred MBs more of .png files + a few months work, adding support for a new resolution in the source code.

Have you noticed there's a "stretch gfx" option in the graphics setup menu? You can use it to enlarge the 320x240 window to larger sizes. The graphics stay as the same, coarse 320x240 basic .pngs, but the pixels are enlarged.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:00 pm 
Whoops, forgot my name from the last message...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:30 am 
I am sorry if I made it sound like I wasn't aware of the work it takes to do a job such as this nor am I appreciative of the work done so far. I did some coding in my day back on dos run comps called Apple IIe you may have see in a museum someplace...... what was that anyway pre 8-bit or right about when Nintendo was making it's first appearance? Anyway I lost track of coding methods. So all I was attempting to do was throw some ideas out there. By the way how would I view png files cuz anytime I try my comp asks for the program that wrote it or if I want it to search the net for the program that wrote it. If my comp already knows that it doesn't have the program to open a file but doesn't know what program it is that it doesn't have then how in the heck is it gonna find this program it doesn't know the name of on the net? I have tried the search the net option before and it just searches the hd instead and tells me no matches found.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 am 
OH! Yeah I did see and try the stretching of 320 but... um... yuck? Yeah yuck!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:48 pm 
Duke Franz Ferdinand

HELLBORE wrote:
I am sorry if I made it sound like I wasn't aware of the work it takes to do a job such as this nor am I appreciative of the work done so far. I did some coding in my day back on dos run comps called Apple IIe you may have see in a museum someplace...... what was that anyway pre 8-bit or right about when Nintendo was making it's first appearance? Anyway I lost track of coding methods. So all I was attempting to do was throw some ideas out there. By the way how would I view png files cuz anytime I try my comp asks for the program that wrote it or if I want it to search the net for the program that wrote it. If my comp already knows that it doesn't have the program to open a file but doesn't know what program it is that it doesn't have then how in the heck is it gonna find this program it doesn't know the name of on the net? I have tried the search the net option before and it just searches the hd instead and tells me no matches found.

What operating system are you using now, Windows 95? MS Paint's been able to view pngs since WinXP, probably older.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:40 am 
Site Admin

http://www.getpaint.net/ -windows paint on steroids. windows has had built in png picture viewing for a long while now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:33 pm 
I have xp with sp3 on it(sp3 is reason I can no longer use my Starcontrol 3 the ***tards). I have no Idea why my paint wont display it but for some odd reason I found that windows image and fax viewer could and could enter paint from that. Weird thing the image i see on the fax viewer program for the 640 mode lander isn't the same as what shows up on the paint program. The paint lander is what I have seen in the game but think the fax viewer one was the intended. Also the image claims to be only 20x24 pixels but is quite obvious to me it has at least twice that or more but yet still fits in the 20x24 dimension listed. I know this because I tried redrawing it myself in paint using those dimensions and my lander didn't even come close to what I was seeing in fax viewer.
B4 I keep going on here is there and actual discussion forum or something for this HD project so we aint cluttering up Ponaf site?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 am 
Ilwrath spawn

HELLBORE wrote:

HELLBORE

Hey Hellbore! I saw your review on sourceforge.
You can e-mail me: dczanik (at) gmail.com for any problems, just not the 640x480 stuff. ;) We know how badly that is. :oops:
There's missing/incomplete artwork, and it's not coded properly. That's why it says it has issues.

Your monitor doesn't support the hi-res resolution, and we don't have any HD graphics at a lower resolution yet.
Due to the nature of updating the 20 year old engine code, and a supreme lack of programmers we could only double and quadruple the resolution.
It's just an alpha. But, we are working on the beta. It has a 640x480 version and it should be done in the next few weeks.
We'll get all those problems fixed for you. :)

In the future, I hope to have better support for more resolutions, but as this will require re-writing huge portions of the game, it's still far off. We're re-writing huge sections of melee just to to turn on (and off) smoother animations. But in the end, this will allow us much more flexibility.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:02 am 
Am now a fan of Star Control after watching the Yogscast play the HD remake.
Good work! This should be excellent once you've finished/patched up everything.