Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Happy New Year Everyone!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

Happy New Year everyone and welcome to 2013 hopefully we (I?) can keep the news page a little more lively this year, so feel free to submit news to me via a pm on the forums.

Now to roll in the new year we have something extra special I think,

dczanik has release UQM HD!
There has been allot of hard work poured into this project and I can't wait to try it out myself. Seriously it is like a new game almost, the detail is phenomenal.

Trailer can be found here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PUsLMSLam0

Download the windows edition here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/urquanmastershd/

Post subject: Re: Happy New Year Everyone!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

Hope everyone had a grand time getting chemically impaired this New Years :)-smf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 am 
And a happy new year to all here from me to! Hope it's a good one.

And now I shall try to persuade youtube not to show me the HD trailer in 240p :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:29 am 
Reborn Shofixti

Er, not sure why my last message posted as 'Guest'. Nevertheless: happy new year!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 pm 
Happy new year to all too. Anyway, I dl'd this hd version and watched the vid. looks good. started it up and part of the windowed screen was off my screen. So i went to the set up to hopefully fix this, selected the 1280x960 option. Noticed it said needs the hires4x files installed. Found those still in zip. extracted em but now don't know what to do with em. I found no read me how to's or a hires4x install program for configuring all this stuff properly and the 1280x960 option didn't fix the problem to boot. Need to know how to get the game to start and display in 1280x960 and how to make sure its running with all options currently available. Found also a zip for 3dosound and a zip for hires2x, do these need to be installed too for the hires4x to work?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:17 pm 
I found this in a txt file named stderr.txt.

Couldn't set OpenGL 1280x960x32 video mode: No video mode large enough for 1280x960
Falling back to windowed mode!!

I thought Opengl didn't have any screen size limits. I have an Nvidia 8400 and my screen is capable of the 1600 widescreen modes at least so not sure why this text has this line in it, but is apparently the reason this isn't displaying properly for me.

I have discovered that those zips for 3dosound, hires2x and hires4x are supposed to be extracted in same folder that the zips are in and then left right there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:04 pm 
HELLBORE wrote:
I found this in a txt file named stderr.txt.

Couldn't set OpenGL 1280x960x32 video mode: No video mode large enough for 1280x960
Falling back to windowed mode!!

I thought Opengl didn't have any screen size limits. I have an Nvidia 8400 and my screen is capable of the 1600 widescreen modes at least so not sure why this text has this line in it, but is apparently the reason this isn't displaying properly for me.

I have discovered that those zips for 3dosound, hires2x and hires4x are supposed to be extracted in same folder that the zips are in and then left right there.

Hello, Hellbore!
I'm the lead programmer in UQM-HD and have been turning the UQM code inside out to get the hi-res modes working. It's quite a tough cookie to crack and the work still goes on. Hopefully we get it better for the next release!

Most probably your screen is not capable of displaying 960 pixels vertically. (1600x900 is not enough.) Because of this, the game cannot reserve full screen -> it reverts to using windowed mode. Windowed mode can always be started (on most systems), but it has the drawback of clipping at bottom if the monitor is too small.

Fullscreen mode cannot currently scale down, so that 1280x960 would be shrunk to e.g. 1200x900. I examined what the game would look like if this kind of downscaling was used. However, it looked horrible. >:(-smf This is because the game features a lot of 1 pixel wide/tall details (like the planet orbit ellipse dots in interplanetary view). Since we're lacking a proper downscaling algorithm, these small details are lost at some places, making graphics look quite messy.

So, for the alpha, the best bet is to use a big enough external monitor, I'm afraid. For the next release we will have the 640x480 mode, which will hopefully be of some comfort for laptop users.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:49 am 
I will appologize for any ranting I did. I am partially mistaken. I was running under the assumption my monitor could display in the 1680x960x32 mode when in reality it only does 1440x900x32. So the screen size display problem is really on my end though mt cards manuals and driver details claim HD capability so didn't think to check that particular detail. This does not explain the energy scan problem and spathi eluder map placement I mentioned earlier though.
Now what are these .deb files on the sidebar of the download page for UQM-HD on sourceforge. I assume they are needed in some way but again a lack of install instruction has failed to tell me where I need to place these files in my UQM folder.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:59 am 
Oh! Btw I appreciate a return on my comment. Ty it helped a lot. Dont wanna seam like an *** for not saying ty in last post, just simple forgot to when I posted it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:54 pm 
HELLBORE wrote:
I will appologize for any ranting I did. I am partially mistaken. I was running under the assumption my monitor could display in the 1680x960x32 mode when in reality it only does 1440x900x32. So the screen size display problem is really on my end though mt cards manuals and driver details claim HD capability so didn't think to check that particular detail. This does not explain the energy scan problem and spathi eluder map placement I mentioned earlier though.
Now what are these .deb files on the sidebar of the download page for UQM-HD on sourceforge. I assume they are needed in some way but again a lack of install instruction has failed to tell me where I need to place these files in my UQM folder.

HELLBORE wrote:
Oh! Btw I appreciate a return on my comment. Ty it helped a lot. Dont wanna seam like an *** for not saying ty in last post, just simple forgot to when I posted it.

Hey, no problem! No need to apologize.
We're here to make the game as good as humanly possible, and spotting bugs helps us a lot!
Some of the defects just slip past us since there's so much to do and so few people testing it during development. The lander text cut-off and eluder placement on Pluto being fine examples of this :)

The .deb files are for Linux. The smallest of them is the Linux executable, whereas the bigger ones are the graphics, music and voice packs.