A ship doo da loo da, a ship boom bang!

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2881
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

A ship doo da loo da, a ship boom bang!

Post by Lukipela » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:42 pm

And the unprecedented torrent of news from the PNF continues! Have no fear true believers, after this your weary eyes will get a rest. I've got something pretty cool lined up in about two weeks (depending on how well my partner in crime performs) but for now this is the last update for a while. I'm guessing all of this constant action has exhausted many of you, so I'll get straight to the point.

The SC2 ship section is pretty cool. But it doesn't really let us know what ships were present in the original game. So I lobbed an idea to Vee-R with the expectation that he'd get back to me within a couple of weeks. Instead he came back within two days with the SC1 ship section pretty much set up. That's what I call effective. The section is built on how the actual ship selection looked in SC1, so many of us will feel right at home there. To make the section even more homely, I decided to integrate Professor Zorg to it as well. That's maximum nostalgia right there.

Anyway, all this got me thinking. I'm responsible for site content. Chad and ScoTt and Eth help out, but they are pretty busy at times. And I'm a lousy coder, designer and whatnot. Also I involve myself in too many projects. If it wasn't for Vee-R, it would've taken a lot longer before the ship sections were back in play. So that begs the question; what else could fans do together? So I'm sending a call out here. Take a look at the site. Is there something you think you could help us with? Something you know your way around and want to improve on? Then let me know.

Just to be clear, we're not trying to muscle in on Ultronomicon territory here. That's the user editable encyclopaedia and will remain the superior resource for detailed information on the SC universe. But this site is dedicated to introducing the SC series, showing and hosting fan stuff and being the source for SC news. If you have a good idea on how to help us build a section, add a special page or whatnot, let me know. I'll be listening.

User avatar
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:39 am
Location: USA

Re: A ship doo da loo da, a ship boom bang!

Post by Eth » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Nice work guys. But... the Shofixti Scout link is broken.

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2881
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: A ship doo da loo da, a ship boom bang!

Post by Lukipela » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:05 pm

Whoops, I misspelt Shofixti in the code :) And missed it in the check as well! Thanks, all fixed now!

Meep-Eep
ZEXy Beast
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: A ship doo da loo da, a ship boom bang!

Post by Meep-Eep » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:16 am

Lukipela wrote:Just to be clear, we're not trying to muscle in on Ultronomicon territory here. That's the user editable encyclopaedia and will remain the superior resource for detailed information on the SC universe.
Funny that. When I started the Ultronomicon, I was afraid that people would object to it for encroaching on PNF territory, it being the superior resource for detailed information on the SC universe.

Also, kudos for bringing the PNF back to life.

User avatar
Zeracles
Pootworm
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:33 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: A ship doo da loo da, a ship boom bang!

Post by Zeracles » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:59 am

Heh, zero risk of a PNF-ultronomicon turf war I'd reckon; even if they were to present a lot of the same material, their styles are so different.

But speaking of the wiki, the recently-deleted Game Humour page might find a home here (Valaggar actually suggested this long ago). I've saved a copy of it. If you think it could be adapted for PNF, at least PsiPhi and Valaggar contributed to it. There could have been others.
Lukipela wrote:Take a look at the site.
Stick a link to the site somewhere on the board index and I might remember it actually exists ;)-smf I see that on the UQM mods page there's a link to Cedric's profile on the old board, also links to threads on the old board. I can understand why they weren't updated right away, but maybe that should be reconsidered now.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

User avatar
Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: A ship doo da loo da, a ship boom bang!

Post by Draxas » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:23 pm

Seems like a decent idea, though as with many of the conversation trees in the game, getting certain dialog can be fairly self-destructive and should probably come with a warning. Still, it seems like a lot of work to just go to waste.
After the Ilwrath and the Thraddash have mutually annihilated each other, use a Caster at the Ilwrath home system (Alpha Tauri).
I can't believe I never thought to do this before. Anyone know what happens?

User avatar
Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:39 am
Location: USA

Re: A ship doo da loo da, a ship boom bang!

Post by Eth » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Draxas wrote:
After the Ilwrath and the Thraddash have mutually annihilated each other, use a Caster at the Ilwrath home system (Alpha Tauri).
I can't believe I never thought to do this before. Anyone know what happens?
I vaguely recall that there are still enough Ilwrath on the planet to answer your hails, but it's been well over a decade since I've done this.

User avatar
Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper
Posts: 2881
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Location: Dead World

Re: A ship doo da loo da, a ship boom bang!

Post by Lukipela » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Meep-Eep wrote: Funny that. When I started the Ultronomicon, I was afraid that people would object to it for encroaching on PNF territory, it being the superior resource for detailed information on the SC universe.
Heh, the Ultronomicon fills its given purpose better than the PNF ever could. That kind of detail demands contributours and a more flexible system for editing.
Also, kudos for bringing the PNF back to life.
Thanks, our entire team is pretty excited about it!
Zeracles wrote: But speaking of the wiki, the recently-deleted Game Humour page might find a home here (Valaggar actually suggested this long ago). I've saved a copy of it. If you think it could be adapted for PNF, at least PsiPhi and Valaggar contributed to it. There could have been others.
Interesting. I don't see why not. I'll go sleep on it.
Zeracles wrote:Stick a link to the site somewhere on the board index and I might remember it actually exists ;)-smf
Can't do that at the moment, but it's pretty high up on my list once I get the ability to play around with the forum stuff again.
Zeracles wrote:I see that on the UQM mods page there's a link to Cedric's profile on the old board, also links to threads on the old board. I can understand why they weren't updated right away, but maybe that should be reconsidered now.
Eh, I was looking for people producing cool stuff for me, not people suggesting things for my lazy behind to do. But you're right, I'll try and get to that this weekend.

User avatar
Bleeding Star
Ilwrath spawn
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:04 pm
Location: Transiting

Re: A ship doo da loo da, a ship boom bang!

Post by Bleeding Star » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:00 am

Lukipela wrote:The SC2 ship section is pretty cool. But it doesn't really let us know what ships were present in the original game. So I lobbed an idea to Vee-R with the expectation that he'd get back to me within a couple of weeks. Instead he came back within two days with the SC1 ship section pretty much set up.
Excellent. Nice to be getting all the data and content back. Can't wait for the dialogue...

Incidentally, is it just me, or does it look like whoever was doing the ship statistics was pretty much just pulling numbers out of their arse?

User avatar
Dabir
Duke Franz Ferdinand
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Re: A ship doo da loo da, a ship boom bang!

Post by Dabir » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:10 pm

The originals, I have no doubt, involved some guesswork given that it was in blocks about fifteen times the size of the ones we have now. With the SC2 ship section using much more precise diagrammation (not a word), let me give you my assurance that these numbers and statistics are all based on solid, scientific, documented evidence and you would have to be some kind of moron not to realise that every single one of them is absolutely true WHERE WAS I.

Post Reply