Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nostalgia!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:41 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Having moved into the new forum makes me wistful for the old days. Not that there's anything wrong with this place, but it's so new and... sparkly. Everything works, nothing is broken or held together by proverbial duct tape. It's all very odd.

Anyway, I've been thinking about nostalgia and what it means to different people. A lot of today's SC fans came into the fandom via the excellent port The Ur-Quan Masters. Some are rather young, others just didn't have computers back in the day. Or so they tell me. So things I nostalgically remember may be completely unknown to them.

But regardless if Professor Zorg is a nostalgic piece of your past or a completely new acquaintance, he's here now. For reasons unknown, one of our resident multi-talents called Sage has taken it upon him to recreate Professor Zorg and his exam for your benefit, right here on PNF. This is the happy face that you would encounter when starting up the original Star Control, a primitive way of ensuring that you were playing a bought copy of the game.

For reasons we choose not to discern here, Sage never added any answers. Fortunately, our friends over at UQM have an excellent page that does just this. We've linked it from our page in case you want to actually answer a question. Big thanks to Meep-Eep for this!

Also, slight aside. The news forum is now setup so that guests can comment here. So if you've got some moral obejction towards registering, you can still comment on news stories. You'll have to pass a CAPTHA, and a mod or admin will have to approve your post, but the possibility is there.

http://www.star-control.com/hosted/zorg/zorg.cgi

Lukipela

Post subject: Re: Nostalgia!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:48 pm 
Turnip Farmer

I played the original SC1 and SC2 before UQM was around, but I never had a manual, so Zorg was still unknown to me until some random online exploration. I did manage to find the old SC2 star map though, I have it up on my wall now. =)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:54 pm 
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Awesome! Thanks, Sage!

That Ur-Quan Master
Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:36 am 
Confession: I pirated SC1 way back in third grade (give or take a year) from a friend's floppies. His copy didn't have Zorg. It was illegal, but we were young and didn't really know what we were doing.

The lack of a manual meant that I didn't figure out exactly how the strategic mode worked until I later bought the SC1/2 CD, though!