Fighting the good fight

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Fighting the good fight

Post by Lukipela » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:12 am

Hey guys!

We are still adding parts to our skeletal site, rebuilding the PNF into something modern and relevant. Today we're adding a part that is especially modern and relevant. Now I know pretty much everyone who reads this has played The Ur-Quan Masters, the new free port of Star Control II. If you haven't, I don't even know where to begin. Just go download it. Most of you are probably also aware of the fact that the newest stable version of UQM, 0.6.2, gives you the ability to play SuperMelee over the internet.

For some reason, we've not paid that much attention to Netmelee over here on PNF before. Sure, we've published some news items on tournaments and suchlike, but looking at our site you'd never even know Netmelee exists. That's a pretty bad oversight, and one we aim to correct today by adding a Netmelee section to the site. In here, you'll find general information on Netmelee. What it is, how to do it. Where you find people to play against (#uqm-arena on Freenode mostly), what tips and tricks there are that can help you. Gekko has also been kind enough to allow us to host his fine guides on how Netmelee works and how to configure your network in case that turns out to be necessary. And of course we've linked Shiver's Balance Mod, beloved by the Netmelee community, as well as his strategy guide. Well worth checking out!

Netmelee is great fun, and the adrenaline rush you feel when you narrowly avoid annihilation or even when your fleet is shot into tiny little particles is amazing. It's even spawned a pretty cool strategy game on the SCDB, where we move fleets around, practice diplomacy and when all else fails, shoot each other into smithereens. Again this is the work of Gekko, who has put a lot of effort into designing and running a fun strategy game. The current one will probably run for a while, but there's nothing keeping you and your buddies from attempting something similar!

A final note on another issue. With this update, the Christmas links in the sidebar are once again removed. They will resurface again next year if I can find a new artist. Hopefully they've been up long enough for all to enjoy them.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Re: Fighting the good fight

Post by Shiver » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks for making this section. Sent you a few small edit suggestions for the page over PM.

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Zieman
Hunam adventurer

Post by Zieman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:46 pm

One thing I miss is a link to the main site from this discussion board...
...and keep it under Lightspeed!

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Yeah, we should really get us one of those. Zeracles has been pointing it out for some time now.

chenjesuwizard
Malfunctioning M:bot

Post by chenjesuwizard » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:51 pm

I agree

BaVB
Arilou wiseguy

Post by BaVB » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:38 am

Yeah, it was a while before I realized there was a netmelee group. This is quite helpful for netmelee's activity to rise.

Zeracles
Pootworm

Post by Zeracles » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:56 am

Lukipela wrote:Yeah, we should really get us one of those. Zeracles has been pointing it out for some time now.
Don't worry, I figure links to PNF must be quite difficult since TfB still hasn't managed it ;)-smf

Their link to UQM is also wrong, not sure if that's been pointed out.
Twinkle twinkle Paul and Fred (more)

sirving

Post by sirving » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:48 am

A link back to the homepage would be handy.. could use one myself, I'm just not sure how to implement it off the top of my head. (at least globally and not dependant on the particular theme.

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:49 am

And I forgot to login as well..
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.