Sequels strife

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: Sequels strife

Post by Alvarin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:17 pm

Reply from Fred and Paul, mail chain.

https://www.dogarandkazon.com/blog/2018 ... et-surface
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:49 pm

A very interesting read.
Atari confirmed after feedback from their lawyerthe claims of Paul Reiche.
This makes Stardocks claims much weaker, besides the main one, that FF and PR did connect GotP to the trademark "Star Control".

I must confess, as owner of the IP I would've been lost, as I am notoriously bad in keeping records. Either it's an unsorted stack, only as printout burried in my fireproof archive (also a mess, but the only thing that has survived all HDD crashes, backup failings, and mail server changes). So I would have to spend weeks sorting things to find what I think I remember...

Rhonin

Post by Rhonin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:38 pm

Alvarin wrote:Reply from Fred and Paul, mail chain.

https://www.dogarandkazon.com/blog/2018 ... et-surface
This is interesting. Here and [urlhttps://1drv.ms/u/s!AtllICKtfKsgjRiuZSLxJFtGjXhh]here[/url] they acknowledge that Atari had the SC trademark, so their claims that it expired just went up in smoke.

Also note the use of plural. I wonder what that means.

vok3
Hunam adventurer

Post by vok3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:51 pm

Yup, that would seem to be the evidence Stardock claimed they never got. Well, they have it now.

I'm pretty close to convinced at this point. There MIGHT be something further Stardock can pull out to justify their interpretation of the situation but I'm not sure what it might be.

krulle
Ilwrath spawn

Post by krulle » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:48 am

Rhonin wrote:This is interesting. Here and here [fixed phpBB tags] they acknowledge that Atari had the SC trademark, so their claims that it expired just went up in smoke.
Not necessarily.
FF and PR were not going into many details back then.
From the information they had at hand, they had to assume that the Trademark is still registered validly. And they did not want to open further discussions.
The issue at hand was the not-agreed distribution of SC1 and SC2, and how to proceed, preferably while still selling the games through GoG.

Yes, this may play against them, but now the issues are full blown, so they now checked it all out fully. With the facts discovered and considered, the facts at hand have cast doubts on their previous beliefs, which are reflected in the old mails.

Dyandod
Yehat Revolutionist

Post by Dyandod » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:34 pm

My eyes have slowly been glazing over the more I hear about this whole debacle. I guess I don't have much to add to the conversation except I'm here, and like so many other Star Control fans I'm disappointed and disillusioned and just want this over with.
KYAAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!

Draxas
Atum-ta the Sixth

Post by Draxas » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:43 pm

My, how remarkably civil that all was. Stark contrast to the current situation.

I love how, through all the back and forth, Paul made sure to protect UQMs right to exist and continue producing content.

Shiver
Arilou wiseguy

Post by Shiver » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:05 am

Is there a set court date for either trial? Would be nice to have an idea of when this might be over with.

vok3
Hunam adventurer

Post by vok3 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:51 pm

I believe it is far too early for specific trial dates as yet. For purposes of rough comparison, in the Crytek vs CIG lawsuit - which was also filed in December - the most recent submissions to the court are suggesting a trial date of June 2019. Star Control is far lower profile with a lot less at stake and probably a lot less legal firepower involved, so it might go faster. Or it might not.

vok3
Hunam adventurer

Post by vok3 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:29 am

I don't know if this got posted already, I didn't notice it if it was, but this is a listing that gets kept up-to-date of all filings in the case:

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/cas ... III,_et_al

So you can just bookmark that and take a look at it every now and then to get an idea of what's going on.