Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sequels strife
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:37 am 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Eth wrote:
One silver lining to all of this nonsense, Paul and Fred have been posting reasonably high resolution images of the assets used to make UQM. I don't know if these have been released before, but I certainly haven't seen most of them. :)-smf

+1 !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:12 am 
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Elestan wrote:
Eth wrote:
One silver lining to all of this nonsense, Paul and Fred have been posting reasonably high resolution images of the assets used to make UQM. I don't know if these have been released before, but I certainly haven't seen most of them. :)-smf

Are they from UQM-HD?

I'm not really familiar with UQM-HD, but a cursory Google image search says "no."

That Ur-Quan Master
Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:11 pm 
ZFP Peacekeeper

Elestan wrote:
Eth wrote:

Are they from UQM-HD?

UQM-HD would have benefitted from having access to them; but if they had, they would not now be newly-released!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:55 pm 
ZEXy Beast

Eth wrote:
I don't really understand what Wardell was hoping to accomplish by posting here in the first place, convince the six of us who use the forum that we should buy SC Origins? I don't get it.

He's tenacious, that's for sure. He's literally everywhere I look in regards to SC right now... UQM, here, reddit, YT Comments, QT3 forum...

Hell, I thought this forum was the same as UQM... didn't realize I didn't have an account here too.

I'm on the same boat as you. I want to know what happens after the Sa Matra... I don't care if the game is called Star Control.
that would be like if the BBC said "We created The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and subsequent releases by Douglas Adams continued to use all the characters and simply renamed the Guide into The Book....
Now if someone else bought the rights to H2G2, I'd probably give it a chance and read it... but if Douglas Adams were to continue the story of Ford, Arthur, etc... under a different title. If those people bought those rights to H2G2 tried to stop him from doing that... I'd be upset with those people.
I don't care about the law or the copyright or any of that legal bullshit... I'm here to find out what happens next in the god damned story.

So, in that respect, I'm always on F&Ps side.

*edit - I also understand Brad's want to protect his assets and his company. I just feel like some things they've done in all this have really soured me to ever consider anything from them again. i was super appreciative that they refunded me my Lifetime Founder pledge. I wish I had more time to put into the Alphas, Betas, playtesting and vault stuff, I just didn't end up having the cycles to really get involved.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:28 pm 
Hunam adventurer

Something I've been wondering about. Given that Brad has apparently decided this is a hostile environment, what are the odds of Stardock deciding that "star-control.com" is using their Star Control trademark without permission and benefiting thereby and taking legal action to gain control of the domain?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:19 pm 
Hunam adventurer

vok3 wrote:
Something I've been wondering about. Given that Brad has apparently decided this is a hostile environment, what are the odds of Stardock deciding that "star-control.com" is using their Star Control trademark without permission and benefiting thereby and taking legal action to gain control of the domain?

That would be a PR nightmare for Stardock if they started attacking the fans. That isn't going to happen.
I could see Brad offering to buy the domain but not taking legal action against it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:31 pm 
Atum-ta the Sixth

There's no grounds for a suit anyway. Domain names are first come, first served, which is why domain squatting is so popular. Bigger companies have tried and failed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:59 pm 
Wise Pkunk

If star-control had a commercial interest, the trademark could apply, but non-commercially they have to arrange with the first-comer...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:18 pm 
ZEXy Beast

vok3 wrote:

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:54 pm 
Malfunctioning M:bot

I've missed all of this happening but god this seems like quite the clusterfuck happened while I was gone. From my skim read, it seems such a shame that two groups of people who want to create new Star Control content for people have been caught up in a silly legal battle where both sides have decided to fling mud in some manner. It's quite hard to get a proper read on all of it with so many opinions being said and not having the time to do all the in-depth reading, but it feels like there are alot of hurt people, who have been upset due to miscommunications that so often cause these sorts of things. I feel for both sides in different ways, but I can see there's no hope of any kind of civil agreement at this point. I just hope this does nothing to hurt the shrinking community and the view that people have about Star Control in the long term.
This is a game which has had longevity and I would hate to see a legal battle like this kill that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next