Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Contest of Now and Almost for Never!
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:55 pm 
Reborn Shofixti

Nope, I am not going to get finished in time. The 3k words I've actually written... they're just not enough. There is no realistic way I'll be able to finish the fic 'till the deadline (that all-nighter I mentioned, it never took place since I just fell asleep, and today was mostly dialogue-related writer's block). I blame school, which has left me with practically no time to write the last few weeks; didn't manage to catch up to that massive backlog of fic-writing.

Once (or if) I actually finish it, I might inform you other folk. Whoever wins, congratulations in advance. I'm sure you deserve it. (And if you don't... well, nothing I can do, really.) Maybe I'll just finish it once the eventual *next* competition gives me the incentive to do so. Or now, during summer. Time'll be available, at least - we'll just wait and see.

Everyone else, good luck, and may your roots always be well watered.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:08 am 
ZFP Peacekeeper

3k words? I went shorter than that for sure.

I feel kind of odd about it. I was thinking, 'what premise have I already explored in my head so I can just write it down?' and of course I came up with the kind of premise there was a good reason I hadn't yet written it down. So... yeah.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:27 am 
Reborn Shofixti

Really, I've only managed to get no further than that during a month's time since only one of its weeks actually went to writing on it. I've got an old one with about 6 or 7 k, which I wrote on first, but that one was started when this contest was first announced way back when (the "contest time" post), and thus it didn't really keep up to the standards I keep today. Mostly I wrote spontaneously, though; didn't have the fic's story mapped out before I started writing it. Really, only the very beginning existed in my mind, and that was since I had written something similar (which just disappeared, and was really short) a while back. What really eats away the time is (as per usual) writing dialogue.

If you want, though, I can send you the fic I've got so far, in case you want to have a look. Just don't steal or plagiarize it, though I believe that goes without saying. If you're interested, PM me - I suspect we'll be dragging off-topic here otherwise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:52 am 
Site Admin

I ended up being out of town for the weekend.. but I'm going to say yeah. we'll need an extension so we can get more submissions. +1 Month for justice?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:10 am 
Reborn Shofixti

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Until then, I might even manage to finish this thing proper.
Still, I'll probably need to take some time to finish a bit of my other backlog, too. We'll see how things go.'

Edit: as it appears, not very well. Did practically nothing in the way of writing towards this particular fic - still not going to get finished in time.
I suppose delaying 'till the end of the summer is out of the question?