The Future?

Ahh, vague omens and mysterious portents. Tangled webs of fate intertwined with the branches of destiny, blown by the capricious winds of happenstance. News, news....uh, actually there is some news!

Moderator: ZFP Peacekeepers

Alvarin
ZFP Peacekeeper

Re: The Future?

Post by Alvarin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:51 pm

Angelfish wrote:it does make sense to me, but that's because it's not been changed in 10 years.
You know, I think that if you try hard enough you actually CAN be more negative about at least SOME of the things you have written over the last several month. But I am not 100% sure.
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:07 pm

Alvarin wrote:
Angelfish wrote:it does make sense to me, but that's because it's not been changed in 10 years.
You know, I think that if you try hard enough you actually CAN be more negative about at least SOME of the things you have written over the last several month. But I am not 100% sure.
Ofcourse I can, but in this case I'm being completely realistic :).

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Eth wrote:The front page doesn't make sense to me. There's no explanation of what the site is about, or what Star Control even is. Information about SC1 and SC2 are buried in sidebar links 2/3 of the way down the page.

Also, didn't we used to have a bunch of content including illustrations from the old manuals? What happened to that stuff?
This is an excellent point from a man who was involved in designing the current site :P
Angelfish wrote:I hope you like bananas because we could have incredible conversations about those.
I miss fluffy_banana.

Eth
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love

Post by Eth » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:37 am

Lukipela wrote:
Eth wrote:The front page doesn't make sense to me. There's no explanation of what the site is about, or what Star Control even is. Information about SC1 and SC2 are buried in sidebar links 2/3 of the way down the page.

Also, didn't we used to have a bunch of content including illustrations from the old manuals? What happened to that stuff?
This is an excellent point from a man who was involved in designing the current site :P
What can I say? Five years of designing things professionally has taught me a thing or two. :)

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Eth wrote:
Lukipela wrote:

What can I say? Five years of designing things professionally has taught me a thing or two. :)
Why not switch to wordpress with a few dedicated news posters?

sakalava47
Orz *camper*

Post by sakalava47 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:44 pm

I concur that the front page could be updated. Something to attract newbies to SC. You could consider links and references to the new game.

I used to come here more for info on project 6014. But it seems like it has died out.

Scott Irving
Site Admin

Post by Scott Irving » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:09 am

I did start a page.. http://www.star-control.com/sc5/ - suppose I could put some actual content on it. Maybe Brad has some behind the scenes stuff he could share ;) ;)

Regarding the home page are we suggesting a "landing" page as apposed to the news feed? Cause I'm on-board with that idea, it would make more sense.

Personally I've found WordPress to be a pain in the butt to do layouts for, it's very *sticky* and I'm not sure how well it would integrate with our board, further more it's not very difficult to add more "news" posters to our current system.

I just noticed "zorg" is broken too.

And lastly regarding the illustrations from the old manuals there still here far as I know, perhaps not linked, if nothing else I do have several backups of the previous versions of the site.
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:40 pm

Main thing is we need dedicated news posters, not Scott Irvings who post sporadically :). (No offense intended!)
In this case I think the more the merrier is a good idea ;).

Lukipela
ZFP Peacekeeper

Post by Lukipela » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:33 pm

Angelfish wrote:Why not switch to wordpress with a few dedicated news posters?
I hear Blogger is the hot place to be.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Lukipela wrote:
Angelfish wrote:Why not switch to wordpress with a few dedicated news posters?
I hear Blogger is the hot place to be.
Beta brahe perhaps?