Star Control Discussion Board

All About Star Control
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Future?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:51 pm 
Offline
ZFP Peacekeeper
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 am
Posts: 1990
Location: Israel
Angelfish wrote:
it does make sense to me, but that's because it's not been changed in 10 years.


You know, I think that if you try hard enough you actually CAN be more negative about at least SOME of the things you have written over the last several month. But I am not 100% sure.

_________________
To be angry is to punish yourself for the errors of others.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Future?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:07 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm
Posts: 1585
Alvarin wrote:
Angelfish wrote:
it does make sense to me, but that's because it's not been changed in 10 years.


You know, I think that if you try hard enough you actually CAN be more negative about at least SOME of the things you have written over the last several month. But I am not 100% sure.


Ofcourse I can, but in this case I'm being completely realistic :).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Future?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:27 pm 
Offline
ZFP Peacekeeper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Posts: 2881
Location: Dead World
Eth wrote:
The front page doesn't make sense to me. There's no explanation of what the site is about, or what Star Control even is. Information about SC1 and SC2 are buried in sidebar links 2/3 of the way down the page.

Also, didn't we used to have a bunch of content including illustrations from the old manuals? What happened to that stuff?


This is an excellent point from a man who was involved in designing the current site :P

Angelfish wrote:
I hope you like bananas because we could have incredible conversations about those.


I miss fluffy_banana.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Future?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:37 am 
Offline
Shining Being of Pure Light and Blissful Love
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:39 am
Posts: 1033
Location: USA
Lukipela wrote:
Eth wrote:
The front page doesn't make sense to me. There's no explanation of what the site is about, or what Star Control even is. Information about SC1 and SC2 are buried in sidebar links 2/3 of the way down the page.

Also, didn't we used to have a bunch of content including illustrations from the old manuals? What happened to that stuff?


This is an excellent point from a man who was involved in designing the current site :P


What can I say? Five years of designing things professionally has taught me a thing or two. :)

_________________
-Eth

That Ur-Quan Master
Famous Battles of the Ur-Quan Conflict


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Future?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:08 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm
Posts: 1585
Eth wrote:
Lukipela wrote:
Eth wrote:
The front page doesn't make sense to me. There's no explanation of what the site is about, or what Star Control even is. Information about SC1 and SC2 are buried in sidebar links 2/3 of the way down the page.

Also, didn't we used to have a bunch of content including illustrations from the old manuals? What happened to that stuff?


This is an excellent point from a man who was involved in designing the current site :P


What can I say? Five years of designing things professionally has taught me a thing or two. :)


Why not switch to wordpress with a few dedicated news posters?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Future?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:44 pm 
Offline
Orz *camper*
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:44 pm
Posts: 119
I concur that the front page could be updated. Something to attract newbies to SC. You could consider links and references to the new game.

I used to come here more for info on project 6014. But it seems like it has died out.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Future?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:09 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 am
Posts: 255
Location: The Tardis
I did start a page.. http://www.star-control.com/sc5/ - suppose I could put some actual content on it. Maybe Brad has some behind the scenes stuff he could share ;) ;)

Regarding the home page are we suggesting a "landing" page as apposed to the news feed? Cause I'm on-board with that idea, it would make more sense.

Personally I've found WordPress to be a pain in the butt to do layouts for, it's very *sticky* and I'm not sure how well it would integrate with our board, further more it's not very difficult to add more "news" posters to our current system.

I just noticed "zorg" is broken too.

And lastly regarding the illustrations from the old manuals there still here far as I know, perhaps not linked, if nothing else I do have several backups of the previous versions of the site.

_________________
Site Admin and General Techie person. Also I'm batman.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Future?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:40 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm
Posts: 1585
Main thing is we need dedicated news posters, not Scott Irvings who post sporadically :). (No offense intended!)
In this case I think the more the merrier is a good idea ;).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Future?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:33 pm 
Offline
ZFP Peacekeeper
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:03 pm
Posts: 2881
Location: Dead World
Angelfish wrote:
Why not switch to wordpress with a few dedicated news posters?


I hear Blogger is the hot place to be.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: The Future?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:44 pm 
Offline
Slylandro gasbags
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm
Posts: 1585
Lukipela wrote:
Angelfish wrote:
Why not switch to wordpress with a few dedicated news posters?


I hear Blogger is the hot place to be.


Beta brahe perhaps?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group - Theme modification by Lukipela and custom theme art by Zensmurfy