All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Sequels strife
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 am 
Arilou wiseguy

Frogboy wrote:
So just say the word and I'll go.
Please do not.
I like your input.
It also prevents me from guessing too much and too wild.
And I want to prevent to live in a filtered bubble.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:19 pm 
Yehat Revolutionist

If you ask me, I'd say this whole debate springs from the question of whether or not Atari still had the right to sell the Star Control games, back when they owned the IP. If they did, that means that they inherited it from Accolade, and under Stardock's terms of purchase, that would mean that Stardock, in turn, also has the right to sell those games. If Atari did not have the right to do so, on the other hand, then Stardock could by no means have it either. I believe that whereas Stardock thinks the former scenario is the correct one, Fred & Paul appears to believe in the latter. The entire conflict is by no means a product of either party doing something wrong, as much as it is the result of this misunderstanding.

Am I wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 pm 
Posting as guest because I can't be bothered to find my old account (if I even had one).

In my opinion, both sides are acting rather childishly. As Quasispatial said, the main dispute is over who has the rights to sell the old DOS star control games. Stardock says that the agreement with Accolade transferred over to Atari and then to Stardock, and that gives Stardock rights to sell the old games. Meanwhile, Fred and Paul say that the agreement ended and that Stardock only owns the trademark. In my mind, the solution is simple. Brad has already said that these old games don't make a lot of money in the first place, so Stardock should just offer to vacate its distribution rights on the old games in exchange for Fred and Paul signing an agreement that Ghosts of the Precursors has nothing to do with Stardock. That in my mind is a win-win situation, and avoids the whole mess.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:59 pm 
Hunam adventurer

vancho1 wrote:
Posting as guest because I can't be bothered to find my old account (if I even had one).

In my opinion, both sides are acting rather childishly. As Quasispatial said, the main dispute is over who has the rights to sell the old DOS star control games. Stardock says that the agreement with Accolade transferred over to Atari and then to Stardock, and that gives Stardock rights to sell the old games. Meanwhile, Fred and Paul say that the agreement ended and that Stardock only owns the trademark. In my mind, the solution is simple. Brad has already said that these old games don't make a lot of money in the first place, so Stardock should just offer to vacate its distribution rights on the old games in exchange for Fred and Paul signing an agreement that Ghosts of the Precursors has nothing to do with Stardock. That in my mind is a win-win situation, and avoids the whole mess.

That is quite literally something we would have accepted.