Art/Lighting Experiments

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

User avatar
Saria
Pkunk Elder
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 am
Location: Can Town
Contact:

Re: Art/Lighting Experiments

Post by Saria » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:08 am

dczanik your stuff is always of such high quality. We're all lucky that you're here and treating us with your work!

User avatar
zenzmurfy
Arilou wiseguy
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:12 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Art/Lighting Experiments

Post by zenzmurfy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:10 am

Awesome!

I don't know anything about normal maps yet.

Is this link relevant to what you are doing?

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/normalmaps.html

User avatar
dczanik
Ilwrath spawn
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Art/Lighting Experiments

Post by dczanik » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:47 am

zenzmurfy wrote:Awesome!

I don't know anything about normal maps yet.

Is this link relevant to what you are doing?

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/normalmaps.html
Just a quick perusal seems to suggest it is.

Check out this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OW2PTkSVNM
Also sent it to your email.

Saria, I could honestly say the same about you. Thank you, so much.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

User avatar
Dragon
Reborn Shofixti
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:29 am
Location: South Africa

Re: Art/Lighting Experiments

Post by Dragon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:34 pm

Redundant post - 'cause I went back and read your initial post more thoroughly.

You're using Sprite Lamp to generate your normal maps right? Because drawing normal maps by hand is painful beyond reason and not something I'd wish on my second worst enemy.

User avatar
dczanik
Ilwrath spawn
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Art/Lighting Experiments

Post by dczanik » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Dragon wrote:Redundant post - 'cause I went back and read your initial post more thoroughly.

You're using Sprite Lamp to generate your normal maps right? Because drawing normal maps by hand is painful beyond reason and not something I'd wish on my second worst enemy.
It's still a lot of work. Basically, I have to create 4 extra drawings. Keep in mind, these were just quick tests:

Original (Diffuse):
Image

Lit from the top:
Image

Lit from the bottom:
Image

Lit from the left:
Image

And, lit from the right:
Image

There's also 3 optional views:
A front lighted view (imagine if the camera had a light on it),
an emitter view (things that emit their own light),
and a specular view (drawing the shininess of the object).

All that creates this:
Image

Use the normal map to calculate lighting, and you get something like this:
Image
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

User avatar
Dragon
Reborn Shofixti
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:29 am
Location: South Africa

Re: Art/Lighting Experiments

Post by Dragon » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:30 pm

dczanik wrote: It's still a lot of work. Basically, I have to create 4 extra drawings. Keep in mind, these were just quick tests:
...
Image
Oh! I had assumed that the HD ships were stylised or filtered renders of 3D models. In which case getting a normal for them would have been easy: bake model normals onto plane, done.

Then I zoomed in a bit on your examples and noticed brush strokes and was all like "hold on, that's not rendered!". I see now how drawing lighting from four directions per HD ship could get a little tedious.

Normal maps are a really neat solution to the 2D lighting problem though. I tried solving this by rendering out every lit frame for 72 frames of rotation for every Star Control ship, missile or whatever. I can't find that texture but is was more than 2GB uncompressed which didn't fit into any graphics cards memory at the time.

User avatar
Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Art/Lighting Experiments

Post by Angelfish » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:03 pm

dczanik wrote:
Dragon wrote:Redundant post - 'cause I went back and read your initial post more thoroughly.

You're using Sprite Lamp to generate your normal maps right? Because drawing normal maps by hand is painful beyond reason and not something I'd wish on my second worst enemy.
It's still a lot of work. Basically, I have to create 4 extra drawings. Keep in mind, these were just quick tests:

Original (Diffuse):
Image

Lit from the top:
Image

Lit from the bottom:
Image

Lit from the left:
Image

And, lit from the right:
Image

There's also 3 optional views:
A front lighted view (imagine if the camera had a light on it),
an emitter view (things that emit their own light),
and a specular view (drawing the shininess of the object).

All that creates this:
Image

Use the normal map to calculate lighting, and you get something like this:
Image
The fucked up thing about the Nemesis is that the cannon rotates so you have to do all those possible combinations too ;).

User avatar
dczanik
Ilwrath spawn
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Art/Lighting Experiments

Post by dczanik » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:48 pm

That's one of those things that I haven't figured out. In order to do the above, the turret would have to cast a shadow on the main hull of the ship. It's a little tricky to do that in 2D.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

User avatar
Niffiwan
Silly Supox
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:49 pm
Contact:

Re: Art/Lighting Experiments

Post by Niffiwan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:34 am

WOW! :o

That is astonishing! It's really wonderful to see 2D pixel art advancing in this way. I really think that this is a big leap forward. If you get this working, I imagine you'll constantly have game-creators contacting you to find out how to do it in their own games.

Also, I notice that the default lighting setting is a kind of bright-white fluorescent-like light. I wonder if there can be different shades of light in front of different sorts of stars?

As for the Chenjesu, yeah, each side of the crystal would have to gradually change in hue rather than brightness.
Member since March 14, 2003

darklord42
Hunam adventurer
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:19 am

Re: Art/Lighting Experiments

Post by darklord42 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:44 am

were you ever successful in finding a coder, cause I will gladly turn the internet upside-down to find you one. :)

Post Reply