Ur-Quan Masters HD: Beta 1 Released!

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

Dark Hunter
ZEXy Beast

Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD: Beta 1 Released!

Post by Dark Hunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:23 pm

darklord42 wrote:
Dark Hunter wrote: EDIT: I needed the Remix files in .uqm format. My older install of the game read them from ordinary .zip files. Apparently HD does not. Working now, though.
I should say Uqm-hd's ability to read .zip files, including Remix music, works just fine. It's possible something is wrong with the folder structure inside your .zip. Did you try to combine the downloaded files or something? When you downloaded it you should have gotten 4 separate parts with .uqm (which is just .zip renamed) and all you need to do was throw them directly into the addons folder

I originally downloaded the remix files a long time ago (I don't think the fourth remix file had been made at that time), so I imagine they might have been structured differently. When I installed HD I simply transplanted those files to HD's addons folder, which didn't work. I did not personally mess with the .zip's folder structure.

Downloading the more recent .uqm remixes and putting those in the addons folder works just fine though.

darklord42
Hunam adventurer

Post by darklord42 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:58 pm

The android app you link to is just regular UQM, not hd. There is a button in game to link to the HD version but it's dead. :(

The actual UQMHD apk executable is over on the same site
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libsdl- ... k/download

However after playing around with it a bit, it's clear that it downloads the Voice package from standard UQM and not the modified UQMHD one.

Thankfully I can always use dropbox to transfer the correct one. But the author may want to correct this, voices don't line up to text and there are a lot of features in the HD one that would be missing.
Last edited by darklord42 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZEXy Beast

Post by 80286 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Hello guys,
I need help, please.
I've run the UQM HD Alpha on my PC, right after it came, completed it - no problems, no bugs, 1280. Now after I reinstalled windows XP sp 2, the VERY same win as before, on the VERY same (old) PC, with the VERY same drivers (omega drivers for Radeon X600), and the same d3d-something .dll files in system32 -it won't start at all.

I'm spewing. I tried everything. And the Beta won't start either, with exactly the same errors as the Alpha:
When I try to run uqm.exe I get an error popping up and that's it. "C:\Program Files\Ur-Quan Masters High Definition Beta 1\uqm.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem." Yeah well it doesn't.

Then I run the .bat-s through the command prompt, to be able to see the error they bring (because they won't work either, none of them) and I get something like so:

uqmdebug.exe -x -r 1280x960 -w --resfactor=2
The system cannot execute the specified program.
or
uqm.exe -x -r 1280x960 -w --resfactor=2
The system cannot execute the specified program. in the Alpha.

I remember for a fact, the last time I ran the game, the .exe with the icon didn't work again. I don't recall the error. But the 1280 .bat (all of them actually) worked swell. I ran it, there was a whole lot of extracting some 2x and 4x-files going on in the command prompt and we were off.

What's going on, what am I doing wrong this time? Please, help.

ZEXy Beast

Post by 80286 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:14 am

Update:

I googled those error messages and all the suggestions are about the visual c++ redistributable libraries missing. In particular, I read about some Kaspersky component spewing the same error, amazingly in the command prompt too. A complete match. So I installed those. the 2005, the 2008 AND the 2010 versions.

No luck.

Come on, please, is there anybody alive in this forum? You guys know a ton more than me about coding and all that crap. I just want to play the game again!

F1 ! F1 !

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:50 am

80286 wrote:Update:

I googled those error messages and all the suggestions are about the visual c++ redistributable libraries missing. In particular, I read about some Kaspersky component spewing the same error, amazingly in the command prompt too. A complete match. So I installed those. the 2005, the 2008 AND the 2010 versions.

No luck.

Come on, please, is there anybody alive in this forum? You guys know a ton more than me about coding and all that crap. I just want to play the game again!

F1 ! F1 !
Did you install the 64 or 32 bit 2010 redistributable? Your XP should probably be the 32 bit version. Also try installing the .net framework.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

ZEXy Beast

Post by 80286 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:04 am

I use the 32 bit version, the other won't run on my PC. I installed the .net framework and then even updated it to 4.0 - no luck.

Interestingly, the Project 6014 works fine, every time - on the very same PC. I don't know what am I doing (or not doing) wrong. It almost feels like something is missing and damn it, I can't figure out what.

I'm wondering what if I Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C everything from the UQM HD folder, and Ctrl + V it in the folder of the Project, replacing all files when prompted, would that solve anything. Probably not.

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:09 pm

I installed it and its amazing. :)
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:14 pm

ThriveDev wrote:I installed it and its amazing. :)
Fantastic!

Just don't choose the remix pack music option. It's messing up config files. :oops:
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:21 pm

80286 wrote:I use the 32 bit version, the other won't run on my PC. I installed the .net framework and then even updated it to 4.0 - no luck.

Interestingly, the Project 6014 works fine, every time - on the very same PC. I don't know what am I doing (or not doing) wrong. It almost feels like something is missing and damn it, I can't figure out what.

I'm wondering what if I Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C everything from the UQM HD folder, and Ctrl + V it in the folder of the Project, replacing all files when prompted, would that solve anything. Probably not.
Open up Explorer, go into %appdata%\uqmhd

Or the long way, C:\Users\{your windows username}\AppData\Roaming\uqmhd and get rid of the .cfg files.
If it still doesn't work, uninstalling then re-installing might fix it. Just don't choose to use the re-mix pack in the setup options.
- Damon Czanik

ThriveDev
Silly Supox

Post by ThriveDev » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:28 pm

dczanik wrote:
ThriveDev wrote:I installed it and its amazing. :)
Fantastic!

Just don't choose the remix pack music option. It's messing up config files. :oops:
Aha! So that was why alpha didn' work. And i love the menu music, could you post it on YouTube?
*Sees quasispace portal* Yes! *Portal dissapears*