UQM-HD Beta 1 Coming soon!

An HD remake of Star Control 2. It's the full Ur-Quan Masters game but also featuring a high resolution mode, new features, & new artwork.

Moderators: dczanik, ZFP Peacekeepers

Salk
Hunam adventurer

Re: UQM-HD Beta 1 Coming soon!

Post by Salk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:15 am

dczanik,

I am no programmer (just a very small C knowledge) but I once used NSIS for packaging a mod. It was quite easy to use at basic level. I don't know what the requirements for the installer are but perhaps it's worth taking a look at their webpage.

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:17 am

dczanik wrote:
Alvarin wrote:I know I'm being a pessimist, but it starts looking like the whole project is getting too big to handle, as it is so much more now than just the intended initially new map and new dialogue tree. Really hope to be wrong on this one.
No problem. No offense, but I really don't care what you think.
Listen to the communitay ;(

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:45 am

Angelfish wrote:Listen to the communitay ;(
I do. Don't worry. Alvarin is great, but he doesn't know the full story. :) Frankly, you should be more worried more about having a good story.

Did you know there's already a port of Ur-Quan Masters for XNA? Did you know we have the full source code too? It has features that UQM never could do without major re-programming like 4 player 2D melee fun.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014
My new portfolio site! and my DeviantArt!

Angelfish
Slylandro gasbags

Post by Angelfish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:57 pm

dczanik wrote:
Angelfish wrote:Listen to the communitay ;(
I do. Don't worry. Alvarin is great, but he doesn't know the full story. :) Frankly, you should be more worried more about having a good story.

Did you know there's already a port of Ur-Quan Masters for XNA? Did you know we have the full source code too? It has features that UQM never could do without major re-programming like 4 player 2D melee fun.
No I didn't know that ;). I tried installing UQM on my Galaxy S3 but the controls are horrible. The flagship is nearly uncontrollable. So I'm not playing UQM on other platforms right now.

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 pm

I hope it done soon i'm so bored and i'm basically addicted to star control
FYI: I've explored almost all the dialogue trees in Sc2.

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:58 pm

gtb2002 wrote:I hope it done soon i'm so bored and i'm basically addicted to star control
Okay. I've released a .EXE file for testing. I guess you could call it a Windows beta release candidate? I just want to make sure it works for other people before announcing it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/urquanm ... /Beta%201/

It's compiled in Visual Studio 2010, so there's probably pre-installation requirements like the Windows 2010 Redisributable package (x86, or 64 bit). There's also a chance .NET may be required?

I just know I have bad luck when it comes to these. :oops: They'll Run on my computer just fine but won't run on other machines.
- Damon Czanik
Artist/Project Leader for Ur-Quan Masters HD and the SC2 Fan Sequel,Project 6014

darklord42
Hunam adventurer

Post by darklord42 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:39 pm

well I gave it a try on my windows computer. Seems to work just fine, though I already have windows 2010 redistributables already installed. It's no biggie as a lot of programs use those and most will already have them, but I got to admit that it's damn silly. I'm no coder, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a a bit of DotNET in UQM. Xcode for apple doesn't force apple users to download a bunch of extra proprietary junk just to run an app. All the proprietary junk is already on the OS!

BTW fantastic work, you guys have been very busy since the alpha! Right off the bat I love the solar system planet textures made to look like the actual planets!

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:57 pm

dczanik wrote:
gtb2002 wrote:I hope it done soon i'm so bored and i'm basically addicted to star control
Okay. I've released a .EXE file for testing. I guess you could call it a Windows beta release candidate? I just want to make sure it works for other people before announcing it.

It's compiled in Visual Studio 2010, so there's probably pre-installation requirements like the Windows 2010 Redisributable package (x86, or 64 bit). There's also a chance .NET may be required?

I just know I have bad luck when it comes to these. :oops: They'll Run on my computer just fine but won't run on other machines.
going to try in windows 8

gtb2002
Arilou wiseguy

Post by gtb2002 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:12 pm

gtb2002 wrote:
dczanik wrote:

going to try in windows 8
works real good I like it :)

dczanik
Ilwrath spawn

Post by dczanik » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:44 pm

darklord42 wrote:well I gave it a try on my windows computer. Seems to work just fine, though I already have windows 2010 redistributables already installed. It's no biggie as a lot of programs use those and most will already have them, but I got to admit that it's damn silly. I'm no coder, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a a bit of DotNET in UQM. Xcode for apple doesn't force apple users to download a bunch of extra proprietary junk just to run an app. All the proprietary junk is already on the OS!

BTW fantastic work, you guys have been very busy since the alpha! Right off the bat I love the solar system planet textures made to look like the actual planets!
Yeah, you can turn that off if you don't like it. I like the fact the solar system looks like the real solar system. Star Control got me really interested in astronomy. A teacher told me he uses the game to teach his kids about the planets (apparently programs like Celestia is no fun for some kids?). Anyways, I'm honored.

There's a couple of little bugs that I'll fix tonight. Mostly dealing with the installer. (it's showing the game name as icon.ico) :oops:
gtb2002 wrote:works real good I like it :)
Cool! I'm glad.
- Damon Czanik